looking for Per 3 pictograph and animal/tree symbols

Here we go again.

I want to work on some tunnels and 'cave art' for my Traveller and Crestar sites.

But I need the ability to put trees, various animals, draw or place pictographs, onto the walls in an Isometric or Perspectives 3 tunnels and rooms.

Any one have any of those ?

Thanks !

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JimPBut I need the ability to put trees, various animals, draw or place pictographs, onto the walls in an Isometric or Perspectives 3 tunnels and rooms.
    Any flat vector symbol for which you have a side view can be brought into perspective view using the 3D Projection command [IPROJ]
    You should be able to find some suitable symbols in the overland vector catalogs from CC3 and SS1.
  • Hmm... Still need symbols that aren't there though. I'll see what I can come up with using SS1.
  • Jim, for pictographs especially, have you tried any fonts? I'm not sure they'll render properly in an isometric format is the only problem (I don't have Per3). However, some, especially those that have an italic option, might be "possibles", perhaps?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: WyvernI'm not sure they'll render properly in an isometric format is the only problem
    Fonts work fine in isometric if you explode the text first. I use this to place name signs on buildings.
  • The tree on the bottom looks good to me. But...perspectives is just out of my league. I haven't really played around with it much. I really should, now that the new Tome is out :)
  • The tree on the left is okay, but the one on the right doesn't look correct.

Here is how I placed them:

1) typed IPROJ

2) selected the symbol

3) a popup asks about left, right, and two other choices.

4) select left or right, and click okay.

5) place the symbol.

The bull head could be used for things like the Egyption Apis bulls they mummified.

Pictographs aren't letters, they are more pictures of events or travels, or other things.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2017
    I know you don't use effects, but a slight transparency effect on the pictographs could help sell the idea that they're painted on the surface of the walls. Just my $0.02.

And, yeah, the tree at the top doesn't look like it was projected at all. That looks like a normal, straight-on view.
  • This bit is all new to me... I'm taking a break from that and working on a city on Crestar that needs major updates. Brillar in Dank Forest.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: WyvernI'm not sure they'll render properly in an isometric format is the only problem
    Fonts work fine in isometric if you explode the text first. I use this to place name signs on buildings.
    Thanks Monsen. I've done very little with isometric drawing in CC3, so wasn't sure if this would work OK.
    JimP commented:Pictographs aren't letters, they are more pictures of events or travels, or other things.
    Yep, I appreciate this Jim, but then not all fonts are letters either; there's a LOT of clipart available in various font styles, and there are plenty of free fonts that use real-world pictographs as well. A quick search will bring up plenty to hunt through!
  • Sorry, I was thinking of dingbats fonts... which might have something I can use... I do have some Sumerian cuniform I found, but its on pdf, not symbols.
  • Someone posted links to Sumerian cuniform, which I downloaded.
  • That was me, Jim! Luckily I'd saved part of what I'd typed to pass to a non-cartographer friend, so the following is the closest I can manage to a reconstruction. Didn't realise we were going to lose such a chunk of material from the Forum during the software switchover (or whatever it was...).

So the Sumerian links again:

As far as I'm aware, there are just two free Sumerian cuneiform TrueType fonts available online, one with 450 of the commoner signs, the other 388 (for those who don't know, Sumerian is a syllabic language, so the number of signs isn't fixed), and they're both of the Ur III form, from the late third millennium BC. If you haven't got these, you can find them here (Carsten Peust's general publications webpage; scroll right down to the end - there are four TTF files and an explanatory PDF) and here (Guillaume Malingue's dedicated Sumerian font webpage; the font is in two files, and there are Excel or HTML explanatory files available as well).

Seriously hoping I didn't add anything else quite as involved elsewhere on the Forum, because if I did, I don't have copies of those notes now!