Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited

So i know the monk in my campaign is itching for some good old fighting....i'm working on a fighting arena to throw somewhere in an underdark town/city i have also been fleshing out - a kinda of waypoint between world above ground and the hellish depths below where drow and worse dwell. Anyway, here's where i'm at on this so far.....i've got to work on staircases to get the spectators up and dress up the place altogether. Maybe a pit? The wheels are spinning.....
      Fighting Arena.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017

Absolutely great. Just need blood on the tiles! :)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited

still working things out...
      Fighting Arena2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017

This looks really neat!

But, based on the shadows on the red tower (or tent?) symbols, shouldn't the light should be coming from the 3rd quadrant (lower left, between 6 and 9 o'clock) and casting shadows up toward the first quadrant (between 12 and 3 o'clock)?

I really like the flagstone-y texture and, as always, you've blended them masterfully.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

How about a soccer game with an elf's head?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017 edited

Latest and close to, if not, complete. Really everything outside the arena proper is fluff - as my PCs will only be in the arena itself. Well, at least i think so. lol.
      Fighting Arena underdark.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Wow, just amazing. And I love the blood on the floor, but still no elf's head. You are a true artist Lorelei.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: Loreleias my PCs will only be in the arena itself. Well, at least itthinkso. lol.
    They're PC's. They'll never be where you want/expect them to be.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2017

To block them from wandering off where I don't want them to go, I put up 'Under Construction ! Beware the Gru !' signs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Looks really good. +1 regards to the blood pools/spatters, heh heh. Brilliant.

~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

After a second look, and a nudge from my favorite Eagle Eye, i adjust some of the shadows. Seems i had a drop shadow still in effect and the large mushrooms had their own shadows that were interfering with my designated shadows....so here's an update and the final product. I'll be using this on a VTT as it is too big to print up poster size. It'll be sometime before they are in the city i have planned this for, but they will get there for sure, as it is the only city in the Darkbelow in my world that is "neutral" and trade between all races, good an evil can happen here
      Fighting Arena underdark2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2017 edited

This is just a so amazing map. Any chance of a link to a bigger pic?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Thanks, and sure Quenten, here's a link to a high res copy of the Creed of the Battlemind
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

OMG, in hi-res, it looks so unbelievably stupendous - I have run out of words of praise. OMG, OMG, OMG!!
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017 edited

Well the more i looked at it once pointed out, the more it irked me.... I made some minor "adjustments" at the suggestion of my favorite resident guru - alas, some of them i am unable to fix without putting serious effort into making adjustments to the symbol pngs themselves - which i have NO intention of doing for a map my players will only care about what is coming out of those tunnels to fight them, and NOTHING else, lol. For instance, the wagon above has a darker shade on top giving it the appearance of a shadow, however, that symbol ALREADY has its own shadow casting downward, which is why i placed it there (so my directional shadow would cover the symbols own - which is why i don't use the Global Direction, i choose my own). Same goes for the Mushrooms - even with the "glare" on top suggesting a light direction, the symbols have their own shadows casting in the same direction (315 degrees)....

So, hope you like the improvements :)
      Fighting Arena underdark small.png
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017

Super cool in all its iterations, really! :D
    • CommentAuthorDkarr
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2017

Since you mentioned this would be underground, shadows could fall from very different angles. Probably all light would be artificially placed or if you go with the glowing fungi all over the place there would be no predominant global sun. In that case shadows might be greatly diminished.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I gather your players are similar to mine and don't really pay much attention to the map, except for the initial, "Oh, that's cool" comment.