Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017

So, today I've started with the Demosthenes Swamp map and this is what I have so far.
    I used the Mike Schley Style as basic template, added HW water textures and Jon Roberts Symbols.
      Demosthenes Swamp.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Really like it so far. A little point - do you think the northern edge of the swamp is a little too delineated - should it not fade into the surroundings more?
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Quenten. I am working on that. Maybe replacing the bevel effect with a slight glow would do.

What do you think?
      Demosthenes Swamp II.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

oooh this is REALLY nice Hadrian. The colors are beautifully done. It looks like a painting. LOVE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes, probably better to get rid of the bevel all round. Glow +/_ Blur would do, or Fade Inner Edge.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Lorelei.

And thank you, Quenten, for the advice, with which I totally agree.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2017

Here's the next version of the map.

I think I'm nearly done here. If there are no further suggestions, I'll make a few tweaks and hand it in tomorrow.
      Demosthenes Swamp III.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Perhaps a lizardman settlement or two with snakey type names (or draconic, they do metamorphose into Dragons after all). Otherwise great - as usual. Like how the river channels merge with the swamp. Perhaps the text of the rivers couls be a little more pronounced - it seems to merge into the water a little bit too much (IMHO)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Quenten. I'll gladly take your advice on the lizardman settlements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017

Posted By: QuentenPerhaps a lizardman settlement or two with snakey type names (or draconic, they do metamorphose into Dragons after all).

They what, now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017 edited

Lorelei remarked:oooh this is REALLY nice Hadrian. The colors are beautifully done. It looks like a painting. LOVE.

+1.  The subdued pallet is fantastic, particularly around the settlements and the text labels! I also really like how you did the forest. Stunning.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

+1 Dogtag's comment...
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thanks, Dogtag and Jon.

I handed the map in. But I did not add any further settlements or names, because they wouldn't fit in unless I made further changes to the map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017 edited

This map, along with the Maelstrom Bay one is now available in the atlas. Thanks again for your contributions.

Thanks to a handful of dedicated mappers, we now have a great start for our atlas, but I am still hoping that more of you will join in. There are still an untold number of areas, cities, dungeons and so on that needs a map.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Hi guys

I just wanted to check in. I have been around too often in the past week because I was busy dealing with my workload.
    Also, I finally bought myself a graphic tablet and therefore I did not spend the same amount of time with mapping as I would have otherwise.
    But when I tried out digital painting I still did something related to mapping: I tried to make a picture of Demosthenes Swamp. This is the first picture I've drawn with a tablet and I'm aware that there's still room for optimization.

However, I hope you guys like it anyway.

I might not be very active in the next couple of weeks, but I'll still look by from time to time.:)
      Demosthenes Swamp.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Hey, that's great. Should include it in the atlas somehow - ask Monsen
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Hey Hadrian :) Nicely done - good colours and style :)

Quenten - I hesitate at your suggestion. You see, I tend to generate a lot of artwork for every map I draw. Maybe if we start adding paintings to the Atlas there should be a limit of no more than one per map? I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

One! (cries of outrage!). Keep it at less than 100, sure, but one....
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Well... I was just trying to keep it to being an atlas, but if you want it to be an encyclopaedia full of many different media (other than CC3 maps).... I suppose anything goes :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

OK, you win (sulks)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Er... no. I wasn't having a competition or anything. I was just thinking out loud.

Sorry for any offense! :)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Thank you, Quenten and Sue:)
    Well, I think the best way to include other media into the atlas would be adding it to the pdf description. This way people don't have to deal with a lot of additional files that are somehow connected to the fcw file of the atlas but they can download the pdf if they want it.

Anyway, I think Sue has a point here - it is and is supoosed to be an Atlas and as such, it should before anything else contain maps. Having said that, I am aware that I belong to the worst offenders in this regard. But I did not mean to create any compulsion to add more materials to the atlas other than content created with Profantasy Software. I just wanted to show you guys what I've been doing during the last week when not either working or mapping.:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime6 days ago

While the atlas is the focus, I have added the possibility of adding a .zip file with extra material for each map, so if people have extra material they think fit with their map, than can be zipped up and added as a bonus material. such bonus stuff will only be available to download from the website though, it is important not to bloat the atlas download itself with anything but actual CC3+ maps and required resources.

As HadrianVI mentioned, artwork can also be placed within the description pdf, but please do note that the description is also embedded din the map, and that is a text-only format, so don't make a pdf that depends on graphics (or formatting) to give meaning.