Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017

JimP and Monsen kindly have given me permission to work on a map for Justice Island in Forlorn Island. The southern area is bleak and poisoned area by the volcanic ash and sulphuric clouds that emanate from the volcanoes on the island to the east, the Bleakness. Trees are dead or mutated, and the hills and mountains discoloured.
    I have first tried to stick to JimP's map, so I have yet to add other settlements (no more cities though), roads, waterways and various terrain, let alone text. But tell me what you think, please.
    I tried out the initial tutorial in the new Tome (I hang my head with shame that I didn't do this in the old Tome). I discovered, to my delight, the Sort Symbols in the Map command - what a beauty this is. Saves a lot of time.
    Anyway, here is the map.
      Justice Island.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Very nice work Quenten!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I need to alter the forests a bit - they look like out-of-focus blobs at present.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Quenten, do be aware that Sort Symbols isn't always quite as wonderful as it first seems. I've had frequent problems when using it with the Herwin Wielink style, as the symbol "box" (the area the program recognises as the symbol) can be different to what you expect from the way the HW symbols fade away into one another. So a "background" symbol can end up lying "in front" of the foreground ones sometimes. Really irritating when that's in the middle of a range of hills, or an area of trees...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for that Wyvern. Seems to work well with the Mike Schley style so far.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017

Looks good to me. I would have posted sooner, but on Thursday I was having Internet connection problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yeah, same here on Friday - the net connection just kept going on and off (because I live on a remote island, we are dependent on satellite broadband - twice the cost, a third of the speed, and a tenth of the download allowance - it sucks bigtime!)
    Nice Island :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Lots more work to go. But thanks peoples
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

I like the forests :) I especially like the darker forest in the south. Nice work, Quenten, as usual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Forests still too blobby to me, but I will be fixing them today and adding rivers, lakes and marshes also today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017 edited

It seems that my most recent posts on this have beem lost. Ah well, here I go again . A necessary evil to change the server I know.
    The map is virtually complete. The map notes are underway. Unless there are further ideas from you about additions/subtractions/changes, i will forward this map with notes to Monsen in 24 hours. Thank you all for your constructive help.
      Justice Island.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017 edited

I think I said I like that map. Oh, and there are lots of ruins and dungeons south of the Pricedom's border in red.

edit: Princedom's border, not Pricedom's border... I really need to proofread before I click submit/okay, or get mroe sleep and proofread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017

Thanks JimP, consider them added. I also added a frontier area at Growlers Bay. The southern area is full of ruins and a very bleak environment, thanks to the volcanoes on the Bleakness - thanks for alerting me to this. Otherwise, I hope it meets your expectations.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Very nice work, Quenten!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

You're welcome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2017

Is anyone else getting a really muddled display on the Forum? I have turned in Justice Island to Monsen
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

I made some comments abut the labelling which have vanished into the ether. However, this map now seems slightly enlarged compared to the previous version, and somewhat negates one of them, which suggested maybe moving the "Princedom of Hunters" label slightly "down left", so it wasn't quite so near the symbols (and river line as I see it now). I hadn't noticed there were other labels that would make this tricky, however.

Still not sure about the white labelling overall - some isn't very clear to me, such as the sandy area east of the "Growler Bay" label. I'm also not sure about the change in font from that used for Growler Bay and Squeak Isle, as compared with Blasted Mountains, Dead Forest, and possibly one or two other areas whose names I can't make out. Just looks a little odd to me, though I realise there may be reasons for it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yeah, some of the over land lettering is hard for me to read especially the south part of the island. The one just to the soutrheast of Growler Bay is the hardest. Otherwise the map looks terrific !
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I hope this is better. I have asked Monsen to use this version instead - guess he won't be very pleased with me, still, the map will be better for it. Thanks for your advice guys
      Justice Island2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017

Yes, it seems fine, Quenten. Plus I can now zoom around the FCW map in close-up, and find out what everywhere's called! It is quite tricky making decisions based just on this one resolution sometimes, as when you see it in CC3+, sometimes even at a similar resolution, it somehow seems clearer (to me, anyway). That might be just how jpgs convert things, I appreciate. Who said computers made life easier? [Then again, we can communicate almost in real time with words and images, despite being on opposite sides of the planet, so...]