Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017 edited

So, here's where I'm at with this one. I've stuck strictly to the Scorching Sun annual - with the exception of the font. You'll all get a regular old font on this. This is a download I got off one of my favorite sites. It's called XXII-Arabian-OneNightStand :)
      Shifting Sands.PNG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017

Wow! Very beautiful map. Great work.
    Wow is right! Very nice! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017

Love the map, Lorelei. And I now have the font, so I can see the font as illustrated, rather than just the regular font. Thanks for sharing the font info
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

This is beautiful. I love the colors and the play of the light on the mountains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I can see the sandworms of Arrakis somewhere there!
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Thanks guys :) I think i'll play around a little bit more with it before sending it to Remy! Any suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited

Don't despair folks! The font is available as a free download via the link on this page on Dafont.com.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

So here's the final map....I wanted this map to be all in the Scorched Sun style, however below I added a frame made with a Bogie fill if anyone is interested. I just thought it presented nicely in the frame :) But hey, that's just me and my aesthetic. Anyway, unless anyone has any suggestions, i'll send this one in (minus the frame) to Remy tomorrow. Thanks all.
      Shifting Sands Framed.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Looks beautiful, and very Arabian Nights
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

I like the frame. It has a nice "Arabian Nights' feel to it.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

This is really, really beautiful. Amazing work!

Just one little thing: The text below the Scale bar looks a bit odd. Maybe it is because the text is to small to see the characteristics of the font in this view. But I'd probably go for a more subtle font for this text.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited

Posted By: HadrianVIThis is really, really beautiful. Amazing work!

Just one little thing: The text below the Scale bar looks a bit odd. Maybe it is because the text is to small to see the characteristics of the font in this view. But I'd probably go for a more subtle font for this text.

Thank you for your input....i completely agree - i toned it down a bit :)
      Shifting Sands Framed2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

What a pity the frame cannot be used in the atlas - I thought if it was a Bogies fill, you could.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Now it is simply perfect.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Posted By: QuentenWhat a pity the frame cannot be used in the atlas - I thought if it was a Bogies fill, you could.

Oh, of course, it can. I was trying to complete this map using ONLY the annual - believe me, it was killing me that i couldn't tap into other symbols and fills that i felt this style lacked a bit of. But I wanted to really stick with the one style (for a change, lol). Of course, if you like the frame that much, i can certainly share it with you. I think such a garish frame would be distracting from the "somewhat" continuity of the atlas - and i don't believe there are any framed maps, and if so, they are so subtle, i don't recall them

Thank you for your critiques and compliments - as usual, they are much appreciated ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017

The Shifting Sands is now available in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution.
    Thank you for providing the information and yes you can download fonts
    Beautiful map, Lorelei.

Very fitting of the style, and the scaled symbols create invoking detail. I can imagine the cool luxury of Pashmir, and the dusty streets and caravanserai of Ras Altanin. I think I would love to explore the Lands of the Shifting Sands. Murata'a looks like my kinda place :)

Gorgeous!

DMG