Trimming a landmass to a symbol

So I have a problem. I created a map in another program, but didn't like the functionality of that program so I turned to ProFantasy. However, I like the landmass that I created in the other program and have already developed much of it on paper. Now I need to recreate the exact landmass withing CC3. I was able to take the landmasses from the other program and convert them into bitmap PBGs and therefore import them into CC3 as symbols, but I don't know if there is a way to go to a landmass from there. Is it possible to trim a landmass to a symbol's borders or is there some other way I can get a landmass to look like my on paper design? Any help is appreciated.
Map1.png 703.9K

Comments

• ScottAScottA Surveyor
    I've used this procedure to transfer some maps into CC3 by tracing my original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Fvz98lJ7Q&t=189s
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    ScottA's suggestion is the way to go here. There isn't an automated way to do this, you just need to import it as an image and trace it using the landmass drawing tool.
  • Thanks. I had thought to do that, but the land mass is large and detailed and I was hoping there would be an easier way. I guess I'll just have to give in to the inevitable.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    At first, I was sort of annoyed that I had to do it this way, especially with big or detailed maps, but I really rather like it. Doing it this way allows me to trim, edit and fine-tune my maps. And it really isn't so bad.

I did buy a tablet to use with CC3/3+ because I think that will provide better control over fine details, but I haven't set it up yet. Have never used a tablet and electronic pen, though, and it looks rather daunting to set up, so I've been putting it off!
  • edited April 2017
    Make sure to use the fractal drawing and it will keep your detail (or the appearance of detail) for the coastal edge. Here's a map where I used the fractal landmass tool and traced an image for a landmass: http://dnd.binarydiversion.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/EileanMor_2.jpg