Which bundle is best for me? Limitations? Features?

I'm a writer, and I'm, currently, working a series bible for a series I'm writing and I want to use Campaign Cartographer for maps and such for my personal reference.
Anyhow, this series consists of 3 worlds (1 being Earth) and the 3 worlds are connected by magic portals. All the worlds are the exact same size but have completely, different, geographies.
Anyways, there are so many add-ons and whatnot to CC3, I'm a bit overwhelmed as to what I'll need for what I plan; I'm also a bit clueless as to what it can and cannot do.
Here are my plans as to what I'd like to use it for for a better idea:
-Obviously, an entire world map of the 2 fictional worlds. (So I assume I'll need Fractal Terrains)
-City/Town plans (City Designer)
-Floorplans but I'm probably not going to get too detailed, just what each room is (I'm thinking I might need Dungeon Designer for certain buildings like castles)
So I'm guessing I need the World Builder bundle but I'm not sure... I just don't want to spend so much money and could of just gotten the cheaper bundle (TOP 3).
I don't mind spending more down the road..

Now here are some questions I have:
1. Is there any limitations to map sizes? (Like could I literally make a detailed map of a city of the size of New York City)
This next question might seem dumb but I'll ask it anyways...
2. Can I do a map within a map for a city to building? (Like let's say I have a overworld map of a city, could I click on a certain building and be transferred to a map of that building... I know I can do multi-floors and this wouldn't really work to export it)
If the answer to #2 is yes...
-Can I do a map within a map of a map within a map? (Let's say I have a map of a providence and you click on a city you get transferred to map of that city and then click on a building to transfer to a map of that building)

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    edited April 2017
    Hi

If you want to do overland maps, city maps and floorplans, I'd certainly suggest buying CC, CD and DD.
    You don't necessarily need FT to build an entire world map. It can also be done entirely in CC.
    If you already decided on how the continents of your fictional world are shaped, then you probably won't need FT. The main advantage of FT is that it allows you to generate worlds within a short time.

If you want to make maps of our world then I'd consider buying the Cartographers Annual Vol 8 (2014), which contains Real-world Vector data.

Also, the tome of ultimate mapping has been updated very recently. This is certainly a good investment.

Regarding you questions:
    1. It depends on how detailed you want the map to be. It is possible to make very large city maps, but there are limitations.
    But when doing large city maps, I think the main issue are not the technical capabilities of the software but ones own patience. I've been working on a rather large city map for over a month now and I have to admit that large cities are a challenge. (here's the link to the map: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=7051&page=1#Item_47)

2. Yes, you can link maps and make an interactive atlas. Check out our Community Atlas Project at http://atlas.monsen.cc/. There you can download the whole atlas as .fcw file.

Cheers
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2017
    To clarify the last item HadrianVI mentioned, you can link maps to make an interactive atlas but, if you use the hyperlink functions in CC3 (and add-ons) to do it, it will only work on CC3-format files. That said, you can export the maps to image formats or PDF and then add hyperlinks to those, using HTML, PDF, or other means. Hyperlinks created in CC3 do not work in exported formats.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    The blog had some examples of maps for use with novels with various CC3 styles

http://rpgmaps.profantasy.com/?p=3073

I'd go with the World Builder bundle. You can get other products as you need them.

Also is you book going to be in a physical print form or is it going to just be PDF? That might be a factor in if your going to need a good black and white style for overland mapping.

You could also look at for doing an interactive Atlas using Realm Works from Lone Wolf. I pretty sure i saw a video on using CC3 in conjunction with it in keeping track of a fantasy world.