Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime3 days ago edited

Hi guys

Here's my first version of the Dworn regional map.
    I'm not quite sure how to do the text. I actually like the map being clean, but I would like to add texts in a subtle manner. Any ideas?
      Dworn.JPG
    It depends. The name of the map needs to be there, but does the symbols say enough about the culture that lives here? If they do, you do not have to necessarly place more names. I placed the map name and regional names only for my two continent maps to help reenforce the map themes but left everything else unnamed. I left it open for other mappers to develop. I went into more detail for the underworld map because I felt that it needed it, but still left as much as possible for other mappers to develop.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime3 days ago edited

Thank you for your advice, Charles.
    Here's the next update as well as the map notes. I think I'm done here unless someone has any further suggestions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Looks great. I must admit I would have named the river and 1 or 2 mountains, but that's just me.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Thank you, Quenten.
    I'll consider adding a few more names. But I must admit that I do not have a clue on how I should place the names of mountains so they are readable on one hand and still subtle on the other.
    Therefore, I'll probably skip the mountains. Looking at the map, naming the Lakes seems to be a valid option. What do you think?
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Lakes, I'd definitely name I think. The impression is most travel here might be by water, as there are no roads or trails, so that would make the watercourses much more important generally.

For the mountain names, say just for a couple of the more important peaks, perhaps experiment using "Text along a curve"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Try Wyvern's suggestion. Naming adds to the culture feel in important ways, and helps further map developers. definitely agree with the lakes naming, and still like the idea of mountain and river naming. (and the name of the inn in one of the towns, in big red letters - LOL)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Thank you, Wyvern and Quenten. I'll try to add some more names.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited

Here's the rework with the additional texts. Thank you, Quenten and Wyvern, for your advices.
      Dworn Region II.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime2 days ago

I hope you see that these additions make the whole region reek of culture and history. Well done indeed.
    • CommentAuthorRoyalWolf
    • CommentTime2 days ago

great map. love it
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Thank you, Quenten. I do see that... but I am very bad when it comes to inventing names. Since the names always have to fit with the local culture and language one can't just name places anyhow. Because of that it always takes me an unreasonably large amount of time to come up with the names. This is why I tend to be reluctant when it comes to naming places...
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTime2 days ago

This is really pretty. I just love this style for regional maps like this. Great work, as usual.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Thank you, Lorelei.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Posted By: HadrianVI... I am very bad when it comes to inventing names.

Enter: TableSmith, a utility I've found insanely useful over the years. It generates names — and other things — based on tables (something from Table A, something from Table B, etc.) There's a link on the download page to a Yahoo group that supposedly has additional user-made tables. I haven't actually looked there myself, though. You can make your own tables so if you find a decent reference for cultural names like, say a map or even a website with names, you can break them out into tables to help you generate ideas.

It's $10 shareware but, as someone who's used it for around 15 years, I can say it's certainly proven it's value.

Just a thought for you, or anyone else, who finds names to be challenging.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime2 days ago

This is looking really good now; the names just make it all a bit more "real" to me!

I also like the way there are small hamlets without names, as if only the real locals would know them.

I do wonder if those intriguing twin towers at the north end of the vale shouldn't also be named though. They're such an obvious landmark.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Thank you for the advice, Dogtag. I'll look into it.

And thank you, Wyvern. You are right about the towers... I'll see what I can do about this, since I've already handed the map in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime1 day ago

My naming programme is a TableSmith table I made myself. If you get it, I'll share all my tables with you.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Towers named on the final version, I see! And hey, suddenly, we have roads/trails as well on that Nibirum Atlas map! It's like magic!
    • CommentAuthorJay_NOLA
    • CommentTime1 day ago

One random RPG name, etc generator I use is Inspiration Pad Pro.

The program is free and you can download and easily make other enator files for it.
    The website for it is at:

http://www.nbos.com/products/inspiration-pad-pro

An online version of some of the additional geneartors people have done is at:

http://www.rpginspiration.com/

(Note: you can download the ipt generators on the second link just look for the little download ipt link.)

Anyway, really like how that map came out.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime1 day ago

@Wyvern: No magic, just me being a bit confused. It went down as following: I handed in the map. Realized I forgot the roads. Handed in an updated version. Then you pointed out that the towers need to be named. So I handed in another version. :P

@Quenten: Thank you very much. I'm not sure if I understand how this program works. Does it just give you a random selection of names from one of the tables or does it generate new names based on the tables?

@Jay_NOLA: Thank you for the advice and the links.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime1 day ago

HadrianVI commented:@Wyvern: No magic, just me being a bit confused. It went down as following: I handed in the map. Realized I forgot the roads. Handed in an updated version. Then you pointed out that the towers need to be named. So I handed in another version. :P

Which of course is why you should never explain how magic works ;D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Posted By: Wyvern
    HadrianVI commented:@Wyvern: No magic, just me being a bit confused. It went down as following: I handed in the map. Realized I forgot the roads. Handed in an updated version. Then you pointed out that the towers need to be named. So I handed in another version. :P

Which of course is why you should never explain how magic works ;D

Yeah, some of my players told me in past years what a great idea I had come up with. I just smiled and nodded... but it had been a random thing. Not planned at all, but I certainly never let on to them !
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Tablesmith gives random selection of names (from 1 to 99 - you choose) from tables which either you or others have made. That's why I am offering to send you those tables to save you a ton of work.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime14 hours ago

Thank you, Quenten, for the explanation and the offer.