Community Atlas - Artemisia - Perieon - Workthrough

So for this project I'm going to workthrough my thoughts on mapping Perieon. So, first up to work out the city size.

My estimate for the pouplation of Statrippe is 1,200.000 with 15,000 living in Perion. Family size is average of 6 (incluing slaves/servants, Perieon is based on Greek culture so a goodly percentage of the the population is in some form of servitude).

Average house size is 30sqm over 2 stories giving a total area of about 37,500sqm. From that I figure ansquera 250m a side should be good.

The map should also cover the area of the Isle of the Dead, this is the graveyard for the city watched over by the priests of the god of death.

More soon.

Comments

• ScimonScimon Traveler
    (Note I'm sticking to the Imperial measurements so it'll be 750ft x 750ft)
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    Ok... going for 1500x1500 for more room to move (and I'm running a big river through the middle of the city).
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    To start. We have the river (131ft wide at the bridging point) I see the city being laid out on the hils with the Ducal palace and the main temples in the walled High Town. The Mid town is where the bulk of the merchant and master craftsmen live. Low Town is where they have workshops. This is also where servants and other lower class types can be found, well there and the docks.

Some of the docks area is ancient stonework, repurposed by the early settlers here for their use. Who or what made it is unknown.

The main market for the city is over the bridge (again, the main stonework for it is ancient), most of the goods for Statrippe are traded here with finished goods beng shipped out to Artemisia and south to Kumarikandam.

More soon.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    Got a bit further. Will add more later. Probably tomorrow.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Looks like a good start. I love cities with rivers through them. And I love to see some planning going into things before mapping starts.
  • Good work so far.
    I'm not sure if I can completely follow your considerations. Your house size seems to be a bit small, considering that there will be some rich families with rather large mansions. But the map looks good anyway.
    The only thing I would change is the texture of the street. The paved road texture often does not work too well on larger maps. I usually use the dust road texture instead.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    I added some more roads last night. Thinking about it I am going to do a 50 miles across map as well covering the city and surroundings. Probably first.
    On the house size, low town will be smaller, mid and high town larger. But it was more to give me an idea of area.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    So I've started on the 50 miles around Perieon map this morning. This is from tracing from the Statrippe map and updating the symbols (except the Isle of the dead, that's getting more detail than a standing stone).

Now to flesh it out. Villages and Hamlets. And farmland.

Also decided to try something different with Symbol Set 1 because I've GOT all this stuff and want to use it.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    So the isle of the dead is filled in. I placed down some basic village locations then had one of those epiphany things. At this scale streams and small revier too small for the larger maps appear (and now I think of it I should have put them into the Statrippe map. Oh well. Anyway, I've added the local water ways in the area that will be the basis for farming. Note how both forested areas have water running through them, trees like water.

Before I add more villages and some farmland I think some more hills may be in order.

(Side note... I think I prefer the line art style maps but am sticking with this one for now, part of this for me is to find what I like)
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    Right, stuff to do so I shall put this up to show where we've got. I'm now adding the farming areas around the villages. Using sheet effects to give me a (hopefully) subtle effect for the farmed areas.

And I've got the main farming villages in place too. Some will probably get names.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    Well... it's done. I found a site that generates random greek sounding names so all the towns got one.

Back to the city map but probably not until tomorrow.
  • Wow! that was fast :) I may take a village on this at some point. Cities are NOT my thing, for sure! Good stuff here.
  • What was the link to the site ? I need lots of Greek sounding names for my Mazes and Minotaurs maps.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Perieon Environs is now up on the atlas. Thanks for the contribution.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    Back to working on Perieon (got distracted by playing Stellaris).

But the hightown is looking ok.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    Meant to attech this... doh.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    The big buildings are The Dukes Palace (end of the road, U shaped), Opposite each other and just outside the palace are the Temples of Zeus and Hera. Near the gates are the Temple of Athena (flat roofed) and the City Guard. The rest of the buildings are various noble villas.
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    So, the recent posts in the Community Atlas are pushing me to up my game. In this case I'm taking the defulat houses created bit the city creator street generator and tidying them up. The houses on the bottom of the street have hand some small tweaks, mostly moving the hedges and adding driveways. The house near the City guard has also had some out houses added as it has some space. The more I think about it the more I think there shouldn't really be any open space in the high town. Walled towns make use of all the available area...

Anyway, that's where I am. More tweaks to be done I think.
  • Good job so far.

A tip for the city walls. If you add an outline to your drawing tool and put the separate entity on its own sheet, you can create the impression of battlements in a very easy way. Just put a slight bevel effect on the outline.

Also, i agree with you observarion regarding open spaces in walled cities. But there are exceptions, for examle in old European cities open spaces are often found in front of churches or cathedrals.
  • And the noble villas would probably have some space around them (though not always followed in old European cities - Venice is a good example)
  • ScimonScimon Traveler
    I'll try the battlements trick. Think I'm going to redraw most of the garden areas, making them large and taking up most of the space.

(Living in the UK with a Dad in France I've had the chance to visit a few old towns an know about the crowding ;) )

One thing I'm trying to do with this is go from my previous "whip something up for a game tomorrow" kind of speed to a more thoughtful "I'd like this to look pretty" speed.

Of course... I need to work on what it looks like zoomed out to... Hmmm.
  • To improve the looks in full view, I'd recommend exchanging the texture of the roads, because this kind of texture does not render too well in full view on maps like this. The same goes for the cobblestone texture.
  • 3 months later
  • Any progress on Pereion? I am eager to see how others approach city building, especially since I am grappling with Stromphe, a city of over 50,000 people.