Where are maps in CC3+ supposed to save to?

So something weird happened to me today. I was making a map and tried to save it. But a window came up that was supposed to ask me where I wanted to save it too, except that it didn't look like the one that normally comes up. Instead, it had a list of different places to navigate to, instead of my usual window that already has a bunch of maps in it. So I navigated this way to try to get back to my CC3+ maps:

My hard drive> Program Data> Profantasy> CC3+>

When I got to the CC3+ folder, there were no maps. Instead there was a bunch of other things to navigate to. So I searched through all of them looking for my maps. No luck.

I decided to look in the old CC3 folder instead so I followed this path:

My hard drive> Program Files (x86)> Profantasy> CC3+>....

And there were my CC3+ maps.

So I have a question about this.

Wasn't CC3+ supposed to make it where we never had to go into the Program Files (x86) file ever again?

When I installed CC3+ I never changed any of the paths or anything. I just let it install as in would normally. I didn't make any special folders or re-name anything.

Does anyone have any idea if it is supposed to be saving my CC3+ maps in the Program Files (x86) folder? or is it supposed to be saving them in the Program Data folder? And if it isn't supposed to be saving them into the Program Files (x86) folder, how can I re-set the default save location so it saves them in the right place?

Thanks again :)

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Hmm, it really shouldn't be saving them in the ProgramData folder, either, to be honest. That's not really intended for user files.
  • Program Files is a special folder in newer versions of Windows, and programs can't actually save there without the user jumping through some hoops. In theory, they're not even supposed to save their own settings there. That's why there's a ProgramData folder, though it's hidden because, as Dogtag says, programs aren't really supposed to save data files there, either.

Your best bet is to create a folder in the root of the C: drive specifically for your maps. Getting CC to default to saving there is something for someone else to answer, as I have no idea.
    edited April 2017
    Or a folder under My Documents.
  • Or anywhere you want, as I do for different maps of different types. It should let you pick your folder, just steer clear of ProgramData and Program Files.
    Personally, I put a shortcut to my maps folder in the CC3Plus Data Folder location, the CC3Plus Program Files location, and the CC3 Program Files location. I also start the name of the shortcut with an underscore, "_Maps", so Windows sorts it first, alphabetically. That way, if either CC3+ or CC3 opens one of those program folders first, it's quick and easy navigate to my actual map folder by simply double-clicking the shortcut.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Not trying to confuse...

But I have my folders like this:

C:\Profantasy\CC3\
    C:|Profantasy\CC3Plus\

Under each of those i have folders for my different web sites, Crestar, mazes, Traveller, etc.

I load CC3 or CC3Plus, and then browse to the map I want to work on in one of the above folders. So when I save as, I save to the folder for that site.
  • Ok, I have to admit I hadn't considered that my maps don't belong in either of those places. Thanks the all of the responses. I appreciate all the help.