Jon Roberts' Cities scale CC3+

I am having trouble with the scale of the map- I feel as though the city walls seem a little small based upon the scale of the rest of the map.

Comments

• I had trouble posting my sample map to show my problem so here it is.
  • I also had this problem, so I reset the scale in File>Drawing Properties>Scale to a bigger one.
  • What one did you choose and did you have to change it for every symbol set i.e. homes, roads, ect.?
  • I actually rescled the symbols according to the symbol manager - but that meant I had to put all the symbols on the map (then deleting them - they still stay in Symbol manager). I should have done it for all symbols, rather than the first method. I did use the first method, then found I had to rescale the house symbols anyway - should have just done it right from the beginning. This way, you can rescale the symbols to the size you want, without having to do it every time you use them. It also doesn't affect the template - when you start a new JR City map, the old values are still there. I don't like tinkering with the template myself. Never know when you need it as pewr the original. Hope I make sense. But I agree, those walls seem rather piddly, as do the towers, in relation tp the houses.
  • Thank you- I think I follow. You rescale on a case by case need, i.e. houses you leave alone, walls up to 1.3, towers up to 1.5. I will give this a go later today. Thanks for the help.
  • You've got it. Love to see your map on the forum some time (by tomorrow at the latest, or else there will be detention) :D
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2017
    This is curious. On my system, a Jon Roberts City map of 1000x800 gives me stone walls of about 6'6" width when I use the connecting symbols and about 4' width when I use the non-connecting symbols. This is doubly strange since both types of wooden wall symbols are the same width (about 3'6").

Also, 6'6" seems a little thin to me for stone city walls. I'm 6'1" myself and, with the parapet, I wouldn't be able to lie down on the wall across the width without my head or feet dangling over (admittedly, I've slept on beds like that, though).

These scaled sizes appear to be the same in both CC3+ and in CC3. I haven't looked at the metric versions but I presume the scaling ratios are the same.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Glad that someone of your experience has also the same problem - perhaps the ProFantasy folks could take a look, in addition to all the other stuff they have to do before yesterday :D
  • edited April 2017
    Here is where I am at. I set walls to 1.5 the rest I played with. I did notice that if I did the continuous wall 1.5 was fine, to get the equivalent in the section symbol I had to up it to 2.6.

Okay okay okay- for some reason I now can't upload a pdf and had to go to a JPG. The resolution on a JPG was miserable. I will see if I can get the PDF uploaded tomorrow from work.
  • I will try that next time.
    After looking at what I did last night, I really like it. No where near complete but it is coming along nicely.
    I will try a PNG tonight.
  • Here it is, I hope finally.
    I don't like how the detail gets blurred a little in the PNG file but you get the gist. Right now, I am pleased with the small start of this soon to be city.
  • Good start. I dread doing my first city for the Community Atlas.
    Nice. It looks like you're using regular CD3 buildings instead of the Jon Roberts buildings. Is that because of the scale issue?
    edited April 2017
    Also, in case you don't know, you can export a portion of your map — for example, just the part with the city that you've mapped so far — by choosing to Save As a Rectangular PNG. Doing that will make CC3 prompt you to select an area (just as if you were zooming in) and it will save only that selected part. If you do that at 800 pixels wide, you can post an image of greater detail to the forum than you can if you post the entire map.

You can, of course, also save both ways and then post both — one with a view of the whole map so you can show your overall progress, and one (or more!) with detail.
  • @Dogtag- thanks. I've played a little with saving in different for,acts but didn't think of saving a portion of the map. I'll look into that soon.
    Yes, I'm using the default buildings. I wanted to do the thing where it auto populates the streets- I forget the functions official title. I'll play with it some more- you probably right the JR style I'm not doing justice by using the other style. I will look into it and see how much it changes.(I'll probably be surprised by how much).
    Everyone-Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it!
    I think you should be able to select the Jon Roberts City style for the houses, for the STREET command.