More Symbols for Annual 5 Treasure Maps?

Anyone know where I can find more Treasure Map symbols for Annual 5? Ships, treasure chests, structures, sea monsters, etc?

On page 23 of the CC3 Manual is a parchment map drawn with Annual 1 tools that has lots of delicious symbols that would look good on a treasure map. Since Annual 1 is not converted yet, I don't know if the symbols can be used in Treasure Maps.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2017
    I presume you mean the map by Allyn Bowker? It may use "techniques described in Issue 06-Parchment Backgrounds in The Cartographer’s Annual 2007", but it's actually the sample map (and symbols) from Issue 30 of the 2009 Annual (Volume 3), about Ornamentation. That issue goes into detail about how to convert and use ornamental fonts as symbols. It's really pretty cool.

In any event, the symbols that came with Issue 30 are vector symbols, which means they should work just fine in your CC3+ maps. Copy the symbol catalogs from their CC3 location to your CC3Plus data folder. If you want them in the same location the annual will eventually install to then you'll need to create the Annual\Issue 30 - Ornamentation folder. Alternatively — and I recommend this instead, personally — you could copy them to your CC3Plus Symbols folder. I'd create a subfolder for them, such as Symbols\Maps\Other\Ornamentation and save them there.

Regardless, if you have the 2009 Annual then you'll typically find the symbol catalogs in the following location under CC3:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3\Annual\Issue 30 - Ornamentation   (on a 64-bit system), or
    C:\Program Files\ProFantasy\CC3\Annual\Issue 30 - Ornamentation   (on a 32-bit system)

There are two catalogs:
    • CA30 ABwingdings.FSC
    • CA30 ArmadaPirata.FSC     (this is the one you're really after)
    You'll need to load them into CC3+ manually, via the button directly over the Symbol Catalog Window, since they're not associated with any of the catalog buttons, but they should work just fine.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag

Note: If you want to be extra thorough, you can open each catalog in CC3+ as if it was a map (File>Open. Select CC3/CC2 FSC Symbol Catalog from the Files of type drop-down. Then open the files just as you would any other map). It may look blank with a colored background, but then just type FFIX in the command line and save the file. There won't be any visible change (but the command line will read, Command [FFIX]:). This command just updates file pathing in the symbol catalog for raster symbols but it isn't really necessary for vector symbols, so you don't really have to do it. Like I said, it's just thorough.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2017
    If you want old style treasure map symbols, I have a post in here about them. They are pre-1900 old Spanish gold mine symbols. They aren't finished symbols, just scans showing several per scan.

forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3285&page=1
  • Posted By: DogtagI presume you mean the map by Allyn Bowker? It may use "techniques described in Issue 06-Parchment Backgrounds in The Cartographer’s Annual 2007", but it's actually the sample map (and symbols) from Issue 30 of the 2009 Annual (Volume 3), about Ornamentation. That issue goes into detail about how to convert and use ornamental fonts as symbols. It's really pretty cool.
    Wow, thanks for that info. I never even noticed that Ornamentation issue of Annual 3. I will definitely be grabbing that one when it is converted.