Lack of detail transferring from FT to CC3+

I have tried just about every export setting I can find, also exporting entire world or just sections and there is nowhere near the detail in CC3 as I see in FT which will make FT useless to me. I assume this cannot be right and I must just be doing something wrong. I'd really appreciate any and all input on this. Thanks.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    If you are using the demo, it is capped at 128x128 for output resolutions.

FT shows a different kind of data than CC3 does and the contours output from FT3 are intended to be elaborated upon in CC3 to make a full map. As JimP will tell you, he is fond of outputting images that he inserts into a CC3 drawing and then annotates as he desires (including tracing over the coastlines).
  • mcgrewcmcgrewc Newcomer
    No, it's the full version. So you are saying that I have to physically retrace every contour line to get the kind of detail I'm after? The map in FT is beautiful. I just want to add some towns, roads etc to it.
    I did notice a large change in file size by going to basic 100 and adding all the contour styles (climate etc) but when it opens in CC3+ it's just a blank white file.
    Try zooming to the drawing extents by using the ZEXT command to see if you get more of your drawing visible.

You should not need to retrace anything. I offered a common suggestion made by one of the forum users whenever the subject of FT3 comes up.

Controlling the detail level for a map can be done by editing the export settings and adjusting the slider found on the "Detail Level" page.

If you want to get an FT3 image with CC3 towns, roads and so on added on it, consider exporting an image directly from FT3, starting a new drawing in CC3+, and then inserting that bitmap into the CC3+ file on a background sheet. Then you can draw on the FT3 image using CC3+.
  • Well, sometimes I trace, and sometimes I load the fcw file output and modify that. it depends on what I want to do.

I have made a hemisphere out of a FT3 planet. And other times i have taken an export png of a continent, rescaled it, and made it into an island.

The distances in FT3 wont match distances in CC3/CC3+.

What I do is measure the FT3 map nad insert that png into a CC3+ template of the same size on a bmp layer and bmp sheet. Trace over it and when I am done with the continents, bays, ocean, islands, etc. I hide everything but the bmp layer and bmp sheet and delete it.

Then I add markers for large cities, and put in country borders.
    I'm still doing something wrong. I tried to save the FT file as a bitmap in several folders but when I look for it with CC3 it won't find it. I tried saving as bitmaps again and found some. So I tried inserting a detail area from the FT program onto a background sheet and this is what it looks like. If I try inserting an FCW file This big sheet opens up and it draws everyone of the black and white contours over and over in a continuous loop.
    I tried using a png file and got the same weird x.
    This was exporting the world to FCW and lowering the width of contours and it's nearly acceptable but for some reason it didn't color in the largest sea.
    Sometimes FT3 fails to fill the lowest sea level. If you can get one more contour level in the sea (even if it's by drilling a deep little hole), then the rest of the sea contours will probably be correct.
    You guys are being very helpful. Thank you for hanging in there for me.
    This is really frustrating. I did the export to multiple files set at three levels and they export at close to 90 mbs which should have lots of detail. They open up in the right ratio but are then just white files.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: mcgrewcThey open up in the right ratio but are then just white files.
    Try doing a zoom extents in CC3(+). The default zoom is very often off on the exported file.
    I tried that. I even tried looking at different sheets and layers. They all look like this.
    Interestingly if I go to my CC3 and find the 65 files. Each of them previews as blank white. I must be doing SOMETHING wrong on the export. Here's what that looks like.
    Here they are in explorer.
    I just finished watching the tutorial and it's exactly what I want to do. I just can't seem to get CC3+ to do it...
    If I just export the one file as an FCW file and double click on it with CC3 not open yet I get this.
    Is it possibly because the file is so large(180 mb)?
    hmm. 180mb is indeed huge. I don't think I've ever had FT generate that big a file for me, even on the highest detail level.

I am not sure why you get the white exports either. I can't reproduce this myself, my exports are as they should be.

Maybe jslayton will chime in with some thoughts, if not, I recommend you put in a support ticket.

Do note that I don't recommend using the multiple maps export, for several reasons. First, all maps are the same size, without regard for natural divisions. I find it much more natural to export a single continent at a time. Secondly, it generates maps of the same detail level for your entire world, forcing you to map every region at the same detail level. This usually just lead to a bunch of unnecessary work. Look at how we are doing things in the Community Atlas for a more flexible approach.
  • The pngs that go with the A0001.fcw, etc. files are not where CC3+ expects them to be.

I save my fcw, pngs, etc. to C:\Profantasy\CC3Plus\mymaps\ or if you are using CC3 I save to C:\Profantasy\CC3\mymaps\

That way I don't have to look in ProgramData for them.

Hmmm... FT3 saves those files to a flder under FT3. Did you copy both the fcw and png files to your CC3Plus folders ?
    As Monsen pointed out, the multi-file export isn't particularly interesting for FCW files. About the only useful thing that I ever did with it was http://fracterra.com/mars/index.html and that page didn't involve CC3 at all. Maybe if some lazy programmer gets off their behind and implements some basic vector tools that can output to CC3 then that feature would be more useful. But that sort of thing is probably a long way off.

If you want image files, you need to not tell the system "Don't Generate Image Files".

I am not sure why the maps are solid white. What does your map look like onscreen?

Using FT requires a delicate touch to avoid putting in so much data that CC3+ chokes while still getting enough data to be useful. Generating dozens (or hundreds) of arbitrary blocks that need manual editing isn't often a good choice. A better solution is often to find map views that represent what you're looking at (for example, a specific continent in a specific projection) and manage those views using the View Management window (View>>View Window). Then you can export just the views that you want and detail that information in CC3+. The nice thing about FT is that it will keep that information and you can re-export those views whenever you want to.
    Thank you all! Could someone explain whether or not I should be using the multipoly option?
    Posted By: mcgrewcThank you all! Could someone explain whether or not I should be using the multipoly option?
    That depends on how you wish to use the map in CC3+. If you don't plan on touching the contours at all, multipoly is a good option, because that is the only way to have holes in shapes (mostly for lakes), but if you wish to able to edit the landmass, you would have to kill the multipoly anyway, so it is better to have it off.
    Generally, I recommend exporting with multipoly off. The only downside to this is that lakes doesn't show up, because FT tries to represent these with holes in the landmass, lettign the see background show trough, but without multipoly on, these ends up being solid polygons the same color as your landmass. Anyhow, using holes in landmasses to represent lakes isn't the way you would usually do it in CC3 anyway, so I prefer just finding these lake polys, change their fill to a sea type, and place them on a lake/river sheet.
    Also, why can I not get FT to show my rivers. I have the river overlay set as visible.
    edited April 2017
    Maybe what I want to accomplish is impossible. This is a tiny cropped area of the entire map that I would like to look just like this in CC3+. Can that not be done? I have a beautiful world created in FT. I just don't understand what good it is if I cannot turn it into a map or maps of the same caliber.
    Posted By: mcgrewcThis is a tiny cropped area of the entire map that I would like to look just like this in CC3+.
    CC3(+) and FT is two very different programs with very different capabilities. You cannot easily get the same look in CC3 as the map has in FT. The point of exporting to CC3+ is to use the basics of the FT world to develop into a map (In one of CC3's many styles). You can see how this has been done on the Community Atlas. The world for this project was created in FT3, then the coastlines were exported to provide the continents for the mapppers to map in CC3.
    The only way to get things to look exactly as they did in FT is to export it as an image, and then insert that into your CC3 map, but obviously, an image is a static thing. While you can draw on top of it, you can't really change it.
    I did get rivers to show but they're too pixelated even in FT to use. I AM starting to get this but for some reason I can select a square area from the original map but no matter what I do it exports to CC3 as a rectangle.
    If you get pixelate rivers, you are looking at the river image overlay and not the actual rivers. Turn off the image overlay (Image Overlay menu -Z Show overlay menu, hide the river channels from here). Then, if no rivers show, turn on the river overlay from tools -> rivers -> show river overlay (ignore the checkmark that may or may not be there already). The difference between these two overlays is that the image overlays work on raster images, which do get pixelated when you zoom in, and the river overlay, which is a vector overaly.

Also, note that it isn't the selected area that gets exported, FT3 exports the current view inside the FT3 window, so you may wish to resize the FT3 window to only contain what you wish to export.
    That worked. I inserted it as a jpg! Beautiful. Just what I needed.
    Crap. Then I zoomed in and now it's gone...