Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017

Here is the 'big city' map of Stromphe, the very mercantile chief city of the Irisian City States - rather like Athens before the Pelopennesian wars. And of course, the thieves in the title refers to the canny merchants themselves - originally an epithet of derision, but later taken with pride by the merchants as an accolade of their bargaining skills.
    This map is just the beginning, wanting to get the layout of the terrain right first. Rocks etc, along the shore will follow. Any sage advice would be welcome, especially from all you city-creator experts, esp Hadrian, Ladystorm and Lorelei and others. By chipping in, the map will be better than I alone could make it.
      Stromphe City_Ground Floor.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Very nice start. I like the cliffs you have made. Unfortunately they are not that well visible. Have you considered to make them a bit wider?

As a general suggestion for larger city maps: try to do one district at a time and only move ahead when you are satisfied with the district. (I have not done this on my Vyrn map and that was a mistake) :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Good tip re the districts. I don't want to make the cliffs wider as they would then be really out of scale with the map. But I open to be convinced otherwise.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Re cliffs: That is a fair point. I won't try to convince you otherwise.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is an idea I used for large cities, districts in color then I made a number of hexagonal maps as Dtillan Orsti area: geomorphs
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I certainly intended to draw different colour polygons for each district, as an overlay (and an aid to me). No hexagons though. But thanks for your advice Jim - consider it half taken :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just looked at your Dtillan site, Jim. I do really like the geomorph idea, and may steal that idea from you. Ta
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2017

Go right ahead. I got it from some game aids about 1981.