Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017 edited

first map is the continent of Darshan, Northern Hemisphere of Crestar. The second is a some what detailed map of Blue Bay same continent. The maps are a smaller size than the original map export.
      darshan01b.png
      Blue_Bay01b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017 edited

So, what is the story behind the names of those castles (Dubious and Cracked)? I trust those are not the original names given by their builders?
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017

Yeah, something seems a little suspect there, especially with that first one... ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I haven't decided yet. You didn't notice 'The Whispering Trees' ? that is a Ghost in the Shell reference... oooh, what a give away !
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Been a very long time since I have seen Ghost In the Shell...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The main character Kusanagi Motoko is asked several times where she is getting the feelling, or info, and she replies something like 'I can hear my ghost, whispering'.

Cracked Castle could have something wrong with its foundation, its walls, or the leadership.

Dubious Castle, likely their loyalty is dubious.

I have GitS in all media, includng the Manga in English. I am waiting for the live action to be on DvD, I'll buy that to. If it comes true, the cyber brain firewalls need drastic work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Did notice the trees, but haven't seen Ghost in the Shell, so didn't think anything beyond that seems like another interesting location.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

A closer look at the Bleak Town area. Note that not all of the forests are the same name, but they did look to be one at large scale.

These town, castle, tower, and crop locations are 'in the ball park'. They might be moved depending on many factors as I go into a closer and closer map.

"Elves ! Mr. Frodo !" But towers for defense ? Interesting.
      Bleak_Town01b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I kile the font - what is it. It looks fancy, but also 'clean'.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017 edited

Bridgnorth under CC3.

Edit, I had to add it from my Windows 10 font list.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017 edited

I was going to try Issue 104 Local Area maps, but the symbol scale was too small, and Ineeded symbols not in this issue. The map is 200 miles across, and I kept the map border, but went with CC3 Overland for the symbols.

As the Bleak Town map, these are generalized areas, except for Bar-Nalo.
      Bar-Nalo01b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017

I noticed some of your maps, like this last one, have very long, straight edges of coastline. Maybe give them a bit more fractalization (low strength, depth of 2-4). I think that will provide a much nicer coastline.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017

Well, at 200 miles across, I did do a small amount, 20%, of fractilization. But I prefer to make close in maps way more fractalized. I'll make the city map look more like coastline.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited

Here we go, 50 miles across map. Some fractilzation of the coast line and the shallows. I made the border with straight lines and ortho.
      Bar-Nalo02b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

SO much better, JimP. Should the shallow water be along the whole coast?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Its just in the neighborhood of Bar-Nalo.

Thats makes the two small towers, also a port area. But they may not have tested that area's depth yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Fair enough.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited

Here is Darshan continent the entrance page for the continent, and only new info is the continent history page. I mean, in addition to the maps here. Its not much but it is a start. I'll be adding history and detail maps for each land on the continent.

No, I haven't forgotten our Interactive Atlas here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: JimPNo, I haven't forgotten our Interactive Atlas here.
    No worries about that. While I will keep encouraging people to contribute, it shouldn't ever get in the way of working on your own worlds. It should be something people can contribute to when they feel they have the time and desire to do so.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017

Well, I have a number of ideas percolating in my brain, but they haven't solidified enough for me to start on them for the Interactive Atlas.

So I'm doing these.

This is a more detailed map of the Bar-Nalo area. Could be too much detail for a 50 mile across map.
      Bar-Nalo02b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017

I think I put too many villages and hamlets on this map, and too close together. I just started clicking symbols onto the map...

10 miles across.
      Bar-Nalo03b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2017 edited

I think this is a better map. Still 5 miles by 5 miles. About 65% of ful size export. Sigh, knit one, pool cue. I uploaded the wrong one, now corrected.
      Bar-Nalo03b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

I think the idea here is great!

However, I think a distance of 1 mile between villages/hamlets is far too small... But, then, it ain't my map! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited

Generally villages were about a day (or perhaps half a day - say 6 hrs) walking distance apart. At 3 mph walking speed (and that is my daily amble along the road and beach), that is about 20 miles apart, give or take. Not much room for more than 1 village in a 5x5 mile map. But again, it is not my map.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I did cut out a large number of villages and hamlets. Probably take the rest of the hamlets out and have one palisaded village per mile.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here are some more hamlets and villages removed and crops added. 65% original size map.
      Bar-Nalo03b3.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Just treat them as farmsteads instead of even hamlets, and there's no real problem Jim, I'd say.

Using medieval and later maps for the British Isles and continental Europe (but pre-19th century), and dependent on terrain and agricultural yields (hence population densities), you can get away with a village or hamlet every couple of miles or so, and a town every 15-25 miles, as a working average - which also means greater and lesser settlement densities are also practical, of course.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

well, I do try to make a map believable, but Crestar isn't a parallel Earth.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you for this consideration, Quenten. On what presumptions have you made this consideration?
    I haven't given this much thought so far, but 20 miles in between villages seems like a lot, at least for swiss proportions. I guess the village density depends on what era one is looking at and on the geographic region. Therefore it would be interesting to know your presumptions.