Weird Install Problem With New April 2017 Annual

I downloaded the April 2017 Annual again after Ralph said it had had been updated with the 'Logos' folder and the install of it is having a problem.

The installer when it started had a white message box and said that a one point I may need to restart my computer. I clicked "next" through the boxes that showed up through and it ran. The installer message boxes didn't look like the normal ones I see when installing ProFantasy stuff. Then when it finished the normal installer message box that shows with ProFantasy Products showed up. I clicked next on the screens and it has been hanging at Installing for over an hour. Not sure what is going on with the install.

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit version.

Any ideas on what is going on and what to do?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Gotta ask: Did you disable your antivirus? That can help. And did you right-click and "Run as administrator"? Personally, I sometimes forget to do one or both of those when I'm "re-installing" something.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    Ran as an Admin and disabled anti-virus. The installer is just hanging. I see the message "Windows Installer" displaying. Installer ran with no problems before it got to the InstallAware Wizard. It looked liked it had installed before that screen as I had to click through boxes with a different install display before. Not sure if I ought to click "cancel" and try again or if I'll have to close the installer from the task manager. Place I'm using wi fi at will close in 20 minutes.
  • I had the same thing happen. I eventually killed the installer, rebooted, and ran it again and it ran normally. Have you rebooted since you installed it the first time?
    I killed the installer with task manager and rebooted and tried to install again.

It installed on the reboot. I'm going to have to do another reboot as something got messed up with the anti-virus program on the reboot though. Couldn't turn it off again as the control panel for it stopped working on the reboot. Was surprised the annual installed with it on. My laptop has about 10 minutes of power left in it. So will let you know if another reboot fixed every thing.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2017
    i killed the installer as it was uninstalled and aparently hung up.

After that, the Annual Issue installed with no problem. I didn't reboot.
  • Same problem here; weirdly, the original installer screen is still showing now, and doesn't seem to want to go away, yet running the Annual installer again worked fine, everything loaded OK, and I now have the sample FCW maps complete with logos! I guess the hung install screen will go away when I next turn the computer off...

Don't you wish you could sometimes go back in time and reinvent computers that worked logically?
  • Computer do what you (or, more often, the programmers who wrote the operating system) tell them to do.

The trick is telling them to do what you want them to do. This is not as easy as you'd think.
  • Nope, it sure isn't, especially when logic gets involved...

"No, no, no! What I *intended* for you to do was *this*, not *that* - bleeping computer!!!"
    2nd reboot fixed the anti-virus problem that occurred on 1st reboot.

Annual is installed and everything is working.

Getting a human to do something when logic is involved can be worse than a computer. I remember taking a technically writing class and that got stressed and my legal writing class was almost just as bad as how people could twist things that were clear unless you made it ridiculously so.
  • Legal = clear? You are kidding, right?
    In legal writing you get taught, no joke, two ways to write something. One in which it is clear and easily understood by just about anyone and how to write it so it isn't easily understood and requires someone with legal writing training to read it and understand it.

In the 2nd case you usually have to look up each word being used in a dictionary and a lot of times what is being said is non-sense and is just someone trying to show off an impressive vocabulary, but they are misusing words and making things more unclear under careful scrutiny.

You can spend over 3 hours just trying to figure out what one sentence is saying.

Legal=easily clear only if the writer wanted it to be. In other cases it is clear for a lawyer.

Also, not that a lot of law writers/law makers aren't often very smart in regards to writing and speaking skills and have poor vocabularies.
  • Having delved in to "legal" and "law" I know exactly what you mean. ;)

However, I must say that "legal" writing is fraught with many of its own definitions (a la "I did not have sex with that woman"), so, what is "legal" is only approaching clarity when terminology used within has been defined in some (hopefully clear, and, not circular) fashion.

After that, my sarcasm was directed at the fact that language, written or spoken, is quite subject to interpretation. What is clear to one is not necessarily clear to another, additionally, lawyers know full well how to take advantage of that very situation.
  • I see you all haven't read hiking trail guides... some of them i have bought try to be clear, and I haven't the foggiest what turn they tried to tell me to make. I look at the map, and I then, and only then, saw what they meant.

They could have just said, 'when you get to this trail intersection crossing, go north. Ignore the other trails'.

Of course, there is trail north and actual north. They are no necessarily the same.

Trail north is if you are walking from Georgia to Tennessee. But you may actually be walking west.
  • Posted By: JimPBut you may actually be walking west.
    Sounds a lot like some roads 'round these here parts... :D
    Don't also forget cultural/regional meaning can be very different and this can cause problems. I got thinking of this after reading your post.

In the Kuro RPG, which for those that don't know is set in a futuristic Japan. This was something I pointed out in the Fugu adventure and ended up making a clarification post on the Kuro forums. The exact clarification dealt closely with the example you used with legal witting.

Even words that people use heavily today may have a very different definition to some. Thinking of the words anime and yokai while I writ this.

Plus word meanings change. Oni appeared to be a name for foreigners before it took on the demon meaning for example.
    Posted By: JMunsonIIHaving delved in to "legal" and "law" I know exactly what you mean. ;)

However, I must say that "legal" writing is fraught with many of its own definitions (a la "I did not have sex with that woman"), so, what is "legal" is only approaching clarity when terminology used within has been defined in some (hopefully clear, and, not circular) fashion.

After that, my sarcasm was directed at the fact that language, written or spoken, is quite subject to interpretation. What is clear to one is not necessarily clear to another, additionally, lawyers know full well how to take advantage of that very situation.
    Posted By: JMunsonIIHaving delved in to "legal" and "law" I know exactly what you mean. ;)