Can't get CC3+ to install

Hi Ralf or Monsen (and any others)
I had to reinstall CC3+ I had the 3.74 installer (and the Update 10). I cannot get the install program to install correctly - it says it has, then comes up with a cryptic message (I am trying it again, and will get back to you with the exact wording). I have tried downloading a clean copy from the Profantasy registration page, but the same problem. Can you help me here - I am nearly finished Helmonte map for the Community Atlas, and I guess I am fairly frustrated.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    i'm sure we can help, but we'll need a few more specifics on what's happening. Best sent me a screenshot of the message to ralf@profantasy.com.
  • The message is" The procedure entry point _DevFBitmap@12 could not be located in the dynamic link library fcw32.exe"
    However, I removed CC3+ for the second time, reran the setup 3.74, got the same message, but then ran the CC3+ update 10, and all was well (except I will have to reinstall all my Bogies, Dunjinni and CSUAC2 groan) At least I can finish off Helmonte by tomorrow!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am suspecting that one of the newer dll's from update 10 was left in the directory when you reinstalled CC3+. This newer dll probably referenced a function not available in the 3.74 version of fcw32.exe, causing the error.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yeah, that error message sounded like something straight out of the Lesser Key of Solomon (the Lemegeton). Or the Necronomicon.
  • Posted By: DogtagYeah, that error message sounded like something straight out of theLesser Key of Solomon (the Lemegeton). Or theNecronomicon.
    You mean that isn't that true of all error messages?

:D
    edited April 2017
    Well, there's confusing, worthless, and annoying (e.g., "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxxxxx" or "PC Load Letter") and then there's downright arcane. :-D
  • Posted By: QuentenLOL. Cthulhu strikes again!
    Some of the error messages Windows returns are sanity-blasting, now that I think about it...
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The problem with a lot of error messages is that they provide information that you, the end user, can't really do much of anything with. About all that you can do is to faithfully report the message provided to a higher power. Sometimes via e-mail or forum posting, sometimes by writing it in blood on a scrap of skin and burning it in a fire of rare wood and incense.
  • Posted By: jslayton...sometimes by writing it in blood on a scrap of skin and burning it in a fire of rare wood and incense.
    I usually do that with Linux errors.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2017
    I saw back at university an error you may not believe.

A student came to me for help, I was working as a computer lab helper, and she told me she thought she had broken the computer.

So I went and looked at the error message. I laughed, she panicked and almost shut it off. I pointed out I was laughing at the error message, which was silly, not her. I need to show this to my boss as the professor of your class supports this, not us.

My boss relunctantly came down the hallway and read it. He burst out laughing to. She got very worried.

He rebooted the computer and said he would call the professor.

The error message ? It had apparently given some programmer a difficult time of it, they had substituted their own error message, and forgot to change it back.

"Drive C: is out of paper ! Please add paper to drive C: !'
  • I've always loved the "obvious" error messages: "out of memory" for one. Oh, really? *How* did you get in that condition then, eh? :D

Even better are crashes with no errors whatsoever - just a freakishly scary hard stop...
  • My current favourite is my old tabletop PC (Win XP) which keeps hanging for a while, hard drive running furiously, then some minutes later tells me how low its virtual memory is, and that it's working to resolve the problem. That usually happens just after I've closed a large PDF document (which was running fine, but apparently is what was giving it the memory issue). If it wasn't wasting its time and effort telling me how low the virtual memory was, it would presumably realise it didn't actually need any extra because I'd already shut down the item it was handling problem-free, but claimed it couldn't cope with.

As for paper for drive C, I always told people computers were really run by tiny pixies scribbling away furiously inside, just like the magical creatures (colloquially "laser readers") inside supermarket checkouts (it's a flashlight/torch really...).
  • "Don't let the magic smoke out. It won't work if you let the magic smoke out."

I've actually gotten calls from my users twice about smoking coming out of a computer. In both cases, the computers did, indeed, stop working.

Wasn't an error message, but we had a weird crash on the POS (point of sale, though it stands for the other meaning, too) server, and the help desk was walking us through a special, hidden function to fix it. On the final screen, before it ran, was the following warning:

"WE RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT RUN THIS FUNCTION, EVEN IF WE TOLD YOU TO."

(It fixed the problem, in a lot less than the four and a half hours a restore would have taken.)
  • @Taustinoc: sounds like something outta Zork... :O
  • It used to be called blue smoke. Why that color, I have no idea.