Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorpool7
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017 edited

@ProFantasy staff: hope this is ok, otherwise feel free to delete/modify.

EDIT: If you have the below and want to share, please contact Ralf first! (see his post below)

Some years ago I bought CC-DOS 1.2, CC-Pro, CC-Perspectives, City Designer 1.2 and Dungeon Designer 1.2
    I have an installation of these that I used some years ago for my CC-DOS on DOSBox post in this forum.
    A couple of days ago, I wanted to try doing the installation itself from scratch, and alas, found a not-pleasant situation: the floppies for CC-DOS 1.2 and CC-Pro are busted (ie. can't read the contents).
    I'm looking for someone that has a working copy of these 2 (CC-DOS 1.2 and CC-Pro) so they can share the contents with me (the idea is to do so privately; I'll be glad to show proof of purchase, and I don't need Serial Numbers as I have my own).

Additionally, I'm looking for the NewsDisk from that same era; these were available for download from profantay's website at no cost, so I think it's ok if someone shares them here.
    http://web.archive.org/web/19980116083755/http://www.profantasy.com/newsdisk.htm
    Download Newsdisk Issue 1 ZIP file - 1,217,475 bytes - newsdisk.zip
    Download Newsdisk Issue 2 ZIP file - 1,406,856 bytes - news2.zip
    Download Newsdisk Issue 3 ZIP file - 1,408,174 bytes - nd3.zip
    Also looking for the utilities listed here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/19980116083737/http://www.profantasy.com/utils.htm

Finally, I'm looking for CC-Fonts and Font Maker; if anyone has a copy they're willing to sell, please get in contact with me.

Thanks in advance! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017

Why don't you just buy CC3+?
    • CommentAuthorpool7

Did you even read my post?
    Anyway, in regards to your question: I own CC3+, as well as almost every other CC product (need to catch up with the annuals).
    This is about experiencing CC-DOS as it was back then, as well as getting a backup of the disks I failed to backup.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes I DID read your post - nowhere did you mention you had any other Profantasy products. Try not to be so offensive next time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

To anyone: If you are reading this and want to share the listed materials, please notify us first. While we are more than happy to help and facilitate access to the disks, sharing the installation material privately without our express permission is against the licensing agreements.
    • CommentAuthorpool7

Thank you Ralf; I've added a note in the first post.
    • CommentAuthorauryx
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

I have all these (well, not Perspectives) but alas - not with me. They're all in storage about 500 miles away. Which continues to annoy me, as I'd love to break out the old CC-DOS stuff again! And to rekindle my love affair with the original CC-DOS manual, which is one of the best-written software manuals I've ever read.
    • CommentAuthorpool7
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

If you ever get to them and have the chance (and if no one else helped by then), I remain interested in getting these :)
    • CommentAuthorpool7
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017

Bump :)
    There isn't an easy way for us to access these files, and we'd like to have copies of these for our records, too, so if anyone has them, we'd be grateful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOldGuy
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018

Sigh... I'd love to help, but I looked and can't find mine. They must have been tossed out in one of my downsizing phases. I only have disks back to cc2/dd2 : (
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018 edited

offers on a postcard Simon , image deleted as it shows a serial number but if your interested in it for your records Simon let me know

Rob
    Uh, even though it's really old, you might want to remove that image since it has a serial number shown on it. Ralf or Simon would be the ones though to let you know if it matters at this point in time.
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018

Deleted image
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Out of curiosity, what is on that NewsDisk? This is the very first time I've even seen a picture of one.
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu

Monsen I will have to install it and find out now where did I put that usb floppy drive

Rob
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu

This may lead to a retro project only issue is the screen will be really small on a 27”iMac running a 4K screen
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018 edited

Posted By: suntzuthe screen will be really small on a 27”iMac running a 4K screen
    Well, at least it is a 27". I have a 4K screen on the 15.6" laptop I am on right now. I usually use external monitors though. IMHO putting such a 4K screen on a laptop is a horrible idea and a complete waste.

I love playing with this old stuff. You may remember I created a map in CC-DOS for the anniversary of the Community Atlas Project. It was quite fun.
    A shame I didn't have the software back in the old days, I remember looking wishfully at all those ads in Dragon Magazine, but my computer at that time was an Amiga that couldn't run the software, and I didn't really have the money for it either.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Wowsers. I have several Amiga computers. Only the A3000 stil works, and maybe my A1000 still does to. But I would need to find the keyboard.

I didn't have the spare money for the CC-DOS either. My parents had a ms-dos machine.
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu

well all the disks worked and managed to configure dos to get enough conventional and ems memory.... remember those days , anyway here is a screenshot for nostalgia
      Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 18.45.13.png
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu

Monsen the newsdisk contained some specific video drivers and some adverts of the then new city designer and perspectives for the cc dos version
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I remember Windows 3.11.

Sigh...

Where did it all go so wrong MS?
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu

windows 95 which came on cd but would not boot from cd , you needed a working cd drive to make a boot floppy disk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: suntzuperspectives for the cc dos version
    I love the fact that Perspectives was one of the add-ons from the beginning. The perspective view looks a bit weird in that version though, but still, it was damn cool for it's day.
    Nice! Thanks for sharing. Can you believe you had 16 whole colors to work with? *G*
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2018

If that could be somehow updated it would make a fun annual -- sort of a retro 80s-style thing. Brings back memories of my own first computer and of the video games of the day, all pixely and clunky, but still full of charm.
    • CommentAuthorpool7

Would definitely love a retro annual or two with CC-DOS style!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2018 edited

You don't really need an annual though, all the old symbols and stuff are still in CC3+ today.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Oh, is it? Guess I need to dig a little deeper. Will admit that I haven't even scratched the surface of all the Annuals.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2018

Posted By: LordEntrailsNice! Thanks for sharing. Can you believe you had 16 whole colors to work with? *G*

And those numbered sixteen colors are still the same in CC3+.

I love old software. In fact, I recently bought all of the 1980's/1990's Ultima and Forgotton Realms games from GOG.com. Thanks for sharing this suntzu.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOldGuy
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018

Posted By: ShessarI love old software. In fact, I recently bought all of the 1980's/1990's Ultima and Forgotton Realms games from GOG.com.

I bought that set when they came out. So awesome.

If you like those, you might also like Legend of Grimrock, I and II. They both have an associated map-making program.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

For me, I prefer the modern versions so much more - only Windows seems to get worse with each update after 3.11.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

@OldGuy -Thanks for the suggestion. Grimrock looks like the exact sort of game that I'd enjoy - a good old dungeon crawl. Mother's day is coming up and my boy's know that a gifted GOG game always makes their mama happy. I've added it to my wish list. :)

@Quenten - I think we're opposites on this. LOL I love my sleek new operating system but don't care for newer games that seem to be more about the graphics than the story. Of course, I really love CC3+ and would fight anyone who tried to take it away from me, so there are exceptions to my love for old software. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018 edited

Posted By: ShessarI love my sleek new operating system but don't care for newer games that seem to be more about the graphics than the story.
    Did you ever try playing games in your youth? Most of them didn't even have a story, or it was limited to a few sentences of background info. Storytelling in games have come a LONG way from those early days. (Although those old games were still fun :))

I think nostalgia plays a big role in all of this though, I am always more favorable disposed towards old stuff from my youth, and not old stuff in general.

Oh, and Grimrock is a decent game, although that is one that does severely lack in story, but the gameplay is fun.

Posted By: Quentenonly Windows seems to get worse with each update after 3.11
    Well, while I can always find several things that annoys me in every new version, I think the overall progress of Windows have been forward at average.
    • CommentAuthorGrimmric

Do i get extra points for having bought this when it was new ;)
      ProFantasy PC.jpg
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu

Only if we see it running , more points if you manage to create something lol
    • CommentAuthorGrimmric

I must admit that i put down alot of hours trying to learn and create something after i bought it.
    But nothing good ever came out of that struggle.
    I put it on a shelf until CC3 arrived and after CC3+ was delivered i started to understand what to do.
    And i must admit that the youtube tips an tricks are better now than they was in 1995. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

It really helps knowing the command line. When I made the 1st anniversary map for the atlas earlier this year in CC-DOS, I used the command line A LOT. Fortunately, the basic commands are the same.
    • CommentAuthorpool7

Well, the thread derailed a bit from the original post, but I'm glad to see many people interested :)
    Those of you with working floppies (and a floppy drive to read them), please make sure you contact Simon and/or Ralf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOldGuy

I was introduced to CC when I found a CD for this funny little mapping program attached to the back page of a D&D book (2nd edition DMG I believe). I had so much fun, even though it was quite limited.

Much later, when I heard v2 was available, I bugged my local gaming shop until they finally got a copy for me. It's been love ever since.

Who ever had the idea for distributing CC that way is a genius!