Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017 edited

Hi Guys

I already started mapping Continent D yesterday. Here's what I have so far.

There are some unfinished rivers and an isolated forest, which I put down to test how it is going to look.
    So far I mostly focused on the terrain background and the mountains.

Since the Continent is huge, I didn't bother trying to use Mountain Symbols. Instead I used the same technique that I already used on the Berenur and Banjar Region Maps. I will further improve them until I'm satisfied. So far most of the mountains still need a lot of work.
    The Terrain may seem a bit rough, but I this is just the background terrain. I will use another set of terrain on top of it. The purpose of this first set is to roughly define the climate zones and the height levels of the continent. Using a second set will hopefully allow me to draw green valleys between the mountain ridges:)
      Continent D.PNG
    Trying to do large continents is always hard - great start. I am back to working some on my own world of Kelleemah and I am struggling with the scope of it myself. Tackling the rivers will be a significant challenge on such large maps.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

I'm glad to see someone was able to pick this up as I thought I would have time to do it at first, but real life got in the way. I think it looks great so far. I can't wait to see what else you do with it.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

@Charles: Thank you. As far as I see Kelleemah is going to look very nicely.
    As for the rivers: This is the reason why I drew some "test rivers" to get a feeling it. I'm not quite happy with both of them, so they'll be reworked soon.

@Tonnichiwa: Thank you. I'm glad you like it.:)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017 edited

Looking at real-world maps at this kind of "massive continental" scale, rivers shown seem to be just the REALLY major streams, with almost no tributaries (they'd need to be equally major channels to show-up), and very little "wriggly" curvature on the lines, just the major turns. I'd guess that translates to keep 'em few and smooth. Or thereabouts!

Mountains ranges looking really good.

And a quick note of commiseration to Tonnichiwa on having to pull-out of this one. Reality sucks far too often...
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017

This is looking really good so far. Your choice to forego symbols was a good one I think, though I personally prefer symbols. A well executed 'realistic' style map can be beautiful when done by someone talented like yourself. I can't wait to see this one develop.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2017 edited

Thank you for the advice, Wyvern.

Thank you for your comment, Shessar. I'm humbled.

Here's the next update. I had a setback due to an fwc32 error that cost me about two hours of work on Friday night, which is why I couldn't post anything sooner.

It is far from finished. There are still a lot of regions I'll have to complete and a lot of issues to address.
      Continent D II.PNG
    It is coming together nicely. I really like the mountains! :-)
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017

So do I. How did you create those without symbols? Just overlay fill styles?
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Charles and Barliman.

@Barliman: I created the mountains using an edge fade bevel effect. I just made a draw tool that uses the CC3 standard brown mountain background fill and told it to go on a separate sheet on which I activated a lighted bevel effect. I also use an edge fade inner effect, but i haven't managed to make it look good both in full and close up view. The effect I'm using now is actually optimized for close up looks. For full view it should be a bit smoother.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I agree, symbols wouldn't work at this scale.
    Posted By: HadrianVI

... I also use an edge fade inner effect, but i haven't managed to make it look good both in full and close up view. The effect I'm using now is actually optimized for close up looks. For full view it should be a bit smoother.

Perspective is very important when creating any piece. For my Kelleemah World map, it is designed to be seen no higher than 16,000 x19,200 pixels. Anything larger will not look right. That is one of the many challenges of making maps of large landmasses.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

@JimP: Yes, unless you expect the map only to be used in a high resolution, where one never actually looks at the full map. But then, you are in fact already on the next level.

@Charles: I agree with you. But with this map, I won't optimize it for this kind of high resolution. But I may add some high res only sheets for names or other details.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited

I worked on Continent D, which has yet to be named.

I focused on the equatorial region around the mountains. Since the details added can't really be seen in full view, I added two close up views of the mountains.

Critics and comments are always welcome.
      Continent D III.PNG
      Continent D Mountain Range Ia.PNG
      Continent D Mountain Range IIa.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited

Love this - I assume heavy use of Bevel lighted? It looks quite glorious. I must do this for one of my world maps, Telpotzin, which I am (slowly) developing.
    Just one point - the forest edges appear a little abrupt - any chance of blurring the edges a bit with Edge Fade inner? But this is SO inspiring.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

Thank you, Quenten.

Yes, I excessively used bevel lighted on this one. And I also used the adjust hue/saturation effect a lot.
    At the moment I have about four different sheets just for the basic Land_MS fill to get the types of green land I want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

Can't wait to see the final .fcw file. It will be very informative for me.
    This is outstanding! :-)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017

Wow. Incredible work.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Quenten, Charles and Lorelei.

Quenten, I have to warn you, my .fcw file is quite a mess:P

Here's another update showing the southern part of the mountains that were already shown on the second close up view in yesterdays update.
      Continent D Mountain Range III.PNG
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Very nice work on the rivers.
    Nice work. Exactly the effect I'm trying to do in one of my maps, but unable to create it in CC3+ I've been doing it the hard way in GIMP.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017 edited

Thank you, Barliman.

And thank you, cpcunningham. It is actually quite easy in CC3+, I think you should be able to save a lot of time using CC3+ instead of gimp.
    I use one or multiple sheets with a lighted bevel effect and an edge fade inner effect. The important thing is to use very high bevel size value but a rather low intensity value on the lighted bevel effect. Using an edge fade effect will make the mountains blend in nicely with the background.

Once this continent finished it will be uploaded as well, so you can download the fcw file and see how it has been done.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited

Here's another update on Continent D. I'm now working on the mountain range in the southern part of the continent.
    The picture shows the western part of the mountain range. The eastern part is still to be done. But my progress is rather slow. It takes a lot of time to draw all these forests.
      Continent D Mountain Range IVa.PNG
      Continent D Mountain Range IVb.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

Er, no picture
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited

Yeah, I had trouble uploading it. They should be up now.

Here's also another full view picture. Still plenty of places to do...
      Continent D IV.PNG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Here's also a full view version that shows the different cultures. Note that the cultural borders do not necessarily have to be equivalent to the political borders.
    Also the names used in this version are not the actual names of the culture but rather descriptive names that point to the closest known (real or fictional) culture.
      Continent D Cultural.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This is great. How about racial groups? (how's that for pressure!)
    • CommentAuthorRoyalWolf
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017

very nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017 edited

Note that I can add links in the map navigation box on the .fcw file to toggle overlays such as these. Just make sure they are all either on the same sheet OR on the same layer, makes things much simpler.
    I love the overlays! Personally, I prefer doing each overlay on a separate sheet but on the same layer. I have done this for a recent project for a company. It is nice to be able to turn off the overlay for a particular region while keeping the other overlays on.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you guys.

@Quenten: What do you mean by racial groups? The cultural borders also indicate races to some extend.

@Thank you, Monsen, I did not know that.

Here's an update on the volcanic Island in the middle of the sea on the left side of the continent and an update on the peninsula in the north of the continent. And I also did the mountain range on the right side of the continent, between the equatorial and the desert area.
      Continent D Volcanic Island.JPG
      Continent D Peninsula.JPG
      Continent D Mountain Range V.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Racial groups can differ very markedly from cultural groups - look at the wide differences in UK, Ireland, Australian, NZ, Canadian and US cultures, yet all are basically Anglo-Irish. Or take the Vietnamese, Cambodian, Chinese and Japanese - yet all are of the 'Mongoloid' race.
    And the Slavic cultures differ a lot too. Finally, why do those of 'Chinese' culture have to look like present day Chinese - they could look like Amerindians or Australian Aboriginals, or Maori, or even - gasp - English!. My point is that cultures do not follow on racial lines, but on different localities and history. Why, even orcs may have become civilized - though they would be like the Mongol hordes of Genghis Khan, or the Viking raiders of Europe - yet the last two did become very civilized - the latter founded Russia after all (though whether modern day Russia is civilized is another point altogether).
    Regardless, your work, and your historiography are superb. I look forward to every HadianVII installment each day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017

And the volcanic eruptions are great - how did you do the smoke?
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017

Thank you, Quenten, for your kind comment.

I was not sure whether you ment fantasy or human races. But I do see what you mean. I hadn't consiously thought about this before, but I thought about changing the appearance of some of the people to better fit with the setting. Therefore, thank you for pointing this out. I'm not sure whether I'll make a seperate overlay for the races or whether I'll just describe the races in the description. I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable with the concept of explicitly naming races and drawing racial borders for them.

Regarding modern day Russia and the fact that Viking raiders founded Russia: If one applied the modern day Russian logic regarding Crimea on this fact, then the Scandinavian Countries could claim that large territories within Russia actually belonged to them.:P

For the volcanic smoke I used the light and dark versions of the standard CC3 "evil lands" fill, which I put on two separate sheets. I then added a strong blur, transparency, directional wall shaddow and a slight texturize effect. And for the Lava I actually used the standard light brown mountain fill and increased its saturation until it looked like lava.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017

I have copied this down in my 'Techniques to follow' Thanks for this tip.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Here's yet another update on Continent D.
    I think this one will be finished soon. I'm not sure whether I should go more into detail with the names. So far I named the rough regions and the mountain range in the south, but the latter is hardly readable.

I hope you guys like it and if you have any suggestions or comments please let me know.
      Continent D X.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScimon
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Very impressive!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Thank you, Scimon.

Here's another update. I added the contours of some of the other continents to further emphasize the size of the continent. I also started working on political borders but they are not finished yet hence I hid the sheet.
      Continent D XI.JPG
    Absolutely Awesome! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

Hadrian, it´s a great, great map.

Mind an advice? Try to play with rivers colours or definition.

To me they look too shiny and don´t help on looking the map as great as the other parts of the map do. Maybe a bit more "blurried" so they fit better? Not sure, i guess it needs experimentation. They are too sharp compared with the rest of the map. Maybe with some transparency (low percentage transparency probably) it would work.

Just my 2 cents and maybe i´m just the only one thinking that heh. Otherwise, a top notch map.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you for your Comment, Medio.

I agree with you. I noticed this too, especially in full view.
    Adding a slight transparency effect will most likely resolve the issue. I use an inverted bevel effect on the rivers, hence blur is not my first option. Anyway, thank you for pointing that out. I probably would have forgotten to rework it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Utterly mindblowing, though I agree with Medio. Love the way you have labelled it too.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Simply beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Quenten and Lorelei.

Here's a quick update on the river issue.I added a 50% transparency to the rivers sheet. What do you guys think?
    I'm not sure what is causing the rivers to be this dominant. Most of them are in fact very small but they seem to appear larger in full view for some reason.
      Continent D XII.JPG
    • CommentAuthorpvernon
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I like the transparency, but maybe a bit less, 40%?
    The river that runs along the north edge of Qaras must be very interesting. Almost 3000 Miles from head waters to mouth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime4 days ago

I like the rivers as thay are now,
    It looks great! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Indeed, the transparency worked :) Rivers now look more natural. Great job!
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime3 days ago

I agree that this is looking really splendid now. Since the surrounding continents appeared, it's definitely helped tie it into the whole world as well, I think.

That has though made me wonder if perhaps the Tobruq desert needs "greening" a little on its western side, because looking at Alarius, the facing shore of that continent isn't desert. While the sea between them is quite wide, and yes, this is a fantasy world, it could be more likely the near-coastal areas at least wouldn't be quite so brutally desertified as it currently seems. The Dungroth desert seems to fit quite well across the still wider sea belt to northwestern Kumarikandam's Maluk Almayta desert, by contrast, for instance.

However, I realise too that this is still WIP, and Scalica has been recently "greened", so perhaps I'm just a little too eager!