Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017 edited

Hi guys

When I said I was going to take a few days off from mapping the City of Vyrn I did of course not mean that I was not going to map at all.
    Since ProFantasy released the Update for the fifth Annual today, which I've been waiting for to map Ruma Helrevy, I used the beautiful Jon Roberts Overland Style on this map.
    This is my first attempt with this style, because I just bought the annual today.

The map is far from finished, it will take a while until I have planted all the pines.

Unfortunately the JR Style does not have that many settlement symbols. Therefore I wonder whether I should also buy Annual 7 to use the Midgard style as an expansion to this style.
    Does anyone know whether there are Ruin, Stonehenge and Gravemound Symbols included in the Midgard Style?

If you have any comments or criticism, please let me know.
      Ruma Helrevy.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017

no symbols, as such in the midgard style....its more like this...
      Capture4.PNG
    • CommentAuthorRoyalWolf

very cool style. like the hills on this
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017 edited

Thank you, Lorelei.
    Well, then I guess I'll have to stick to the Schley Symbols for the Burial mound and the Stonehenge.

Thank you, RoyalWolf. I think the hills and the mountains are what sets this style apart from the others. The symbols are at least partially slightly transparent and therefore don't looks as clumsy as other mountain symbols.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

The standard CC3 set comes with a henge and barrow - although not nearly as nice as the Schley style
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

What a superlative beginning. Love this style
    Really, really nice! :-)
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

Posted By: HadrianVIThe symbols are at least partially slightly transparent and therefore don't looks as clumsy as other mountain symbols.

You can always add a transparency effect...
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017 edited

@Lorelei: Thank you. I think the Schley style will still fit in better than standard CC3.

@Quenten: Thank you! I'm glad you like it, since it is on your continent. If you want something changed, please let me know.

@Charles: Thanks to you too.

@Jon: This is true. Also, the HW mountains too have a slight edge fade effect on them, which is why I prefer them over the schley mountains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

No changes necessary - just love what you are doing.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you.

Here's a slightly different interpretation of the map. I made it relatively quick in an hour or so and it will most likely just be use for the description.
      Ruma Helrevy 3D2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Here's also another update on the actual map.
      Ruma Helrevy II.PNG
    AWESOME!!!!!! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017 edited

Just brilliant. But two things:
    1. The settlements seem a little large for the map (to me, anyway)
    2. do remember that this realm uses Cornish names (as per my Map description). If you have problems with this, I can supply about 500 names within minutes.
    And most importantly - This map is so fantastic, I can hardly breathe -I will send you the medical bill!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017

I am going to disagree with you here Quenten, I think the settlement sizes are fine. Personally, I like when important symbols (like settlements are) are easy to see and interpret when the map is shown in a full view, without having to zoom. They are just indicators anyway, not scale models.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Well, Monsen, we will have to agree to disagree - a first time I have done so with you - do I get a gold star? :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Disagreeing is actually what makes an atlas like this quite interesting, because this makes all the maps different, because each cartographer works differently. For example, both you and Charles likes to use smaller symbols and put much details into your maps. I like to use larger symbols, and save many of the details for the next map level instead. The result of this is that even if we use the exact same style, our maps ends up being very different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

This I DO agree with. Well said, sir.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Charles, Quenten and Monsen for your comments.

Just do get it right, Quenten, do you mean the actual map or the more perspective interpretation I posted above, or both?
    I will revise the settlement symbols, but I can't make them too small. Like Monsen, I too prefer, if important symbols are visible in full view - at least with this map and drawing style, which looks in my opinion best in full view. I think it's because in full view one gets the best impression of the interaction between the trees and the hills. When taking a more close up look at the hills, they are anything but spectacular.

Also, there are already some symbols in the map that are almost impossible to detect in full view: I had to use a smaller scaled version of the ruin symbols for the ruined towers. Even if one knows where to look for them, it is incredibly hard to detect them in full view.

As for the cornish place names, I think I just found a reasonably extensive list of names, so I'm good. But thank you anyway, Quenten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Actually, I was just expressing my opinion about the symbol size, so feel free to ignore it. I promise I won't get offended.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

I sure won't ignore it.:)

I do agree with you, that the symbols need some rework. I just expect the margin for rescales to be limited.
    Posted By: MonsenDisagreeing is actually what makes an atlas like this quite interesting, because this makes all the maps different, because each cartographer works differently. For example, both you and Charles likes to use smaller symbols and put much details into your maps. I like to use larger symbols, and save many of the details for the next map level instead. The result of this is that even if we use the exact same style, our maps ends up being very different.

Monsen,

You are spot on! This is what is so cool about this project. It showcases what all that can be done with this software and the great diversity in the ways it can be utilized; even when using the same style. That is one of the reasons that I am doing the maps for the "realms below". It is an awesome style that we have not seen a lot of. In addition, I use several styles within my designs showing that ProFantasy's software is practically limitless and is a really great product. Each annual adds to your "toolbox" even if you don't use any of the "specific" styles in that annual. I love seeing everybody's work, learned some new methods from them, have been inspired by their work, and have gotten awesome support from the great members on this forum. So, if you have not jumped in yet to participate in the Community Atlas Project, consider joining in... I want to see your unique style! :-)
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017

I LOVE this map, especially the alternate view. Well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017

I think you shold put BOTH views in the atlas when you are ready to submit. The work is stupendous
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2017

Thank you for your input, Charles. I too would like to provide examples that show that CC3+ is an extremely powerful program that allows you to create just as beautiful maps as Photoshop. I'm always annoyed by notions that claim that the most beautiful maps can only be made in Photoshop.

Thank you, Shessar and Quenten, for your humbling comments. I'll try to find a way to integrate the alternative view into the atlas as well.
    I'll try to finish the Ruma Helrevy map tomorrow night.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017

Hi everyone,

I tried to combine the map and the alternative view into one map. I also added a little poem to fill the bottom left corner.

Hope you like it.
      Ruma Helrevy III.PNG
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017

Very nice!
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2017

Beautiful!
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Way cool! :)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Barliman, Lorelei and Jon.
    Just too cool HadrianVI!!!

Great job! :-)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Charles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017

This map is yet another superb Hadrian production.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2017

Thank you, Quenten, for your kind and humbling comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2017

Dash-it-all :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017

Jon Roberts Overland, rock on! One (two, if you count Midgard) of the best ever provided in the Annual, I think.

Beautiful. The Schley structures symbols work quite nicely with this style, I think (that's good to know). I especially love your forests, and the alternative view is just brilliant.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017 edited

Thank you, Dogtag.

Here's the latest update. I just reworked the sky of the alternative view and manually added some shades.

I think I'm done here, unless someone has any suggestions for the map (which looks more like a post card) or for the map description.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2017

This is fgar better than the parent map. I am delighted, by the map and its note. Couldn't have wished for better.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Quenten. But it is certainly not better than your very beautiful and detailed map of Peredur.
    I'll then send it to Monsen as soon as I get back from work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Ruma Helrevy is now in the atlas. Thanks for the contribution. I really like the additional side view with this one.

We now have 30 maps in the atlas. It's been 79 days since the formal suggestion for starting this project was made, so that is more than 1 map every third day. I think that is quite nice progress. So thanks to everyone who have submitted maps so far, your contributions are appreciated. But, we still need more maps,, so if you have been waiting in the wings, this is a good time to join in. No matter what type of map you want to make, be it overland, city, village, floorplan, dungeon, ruin, cave or battlemap, you should be able to find a location you can map.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thank you, Monsen.