Making ships using Cartographer's Annual Vol. 3 (2009)

I'm not sure if I'm missing something in how to use this annual. If I select the drawing tool "hull, pine wood h" it's just the regular polygon tool. It seems like I only have an option to have a symmetrical blocky ship or try to free hand two matching halves with curves and arcs to look ship-like, and then fuse them into a single shape and change properties.

Since I still basically mimic a shown process (and this annual issue didn't include a true how-to PDF) rather than have a level of casual mastery that allows a lot of intuition and inferences, it's hard to tell if I'm overlooking something really simple.

Has anyone here used this extensively? I did a search but it doesn't look like (wooden, naval) ships have come up in discussion a lot, and there's only a couple of example maps for historical wooden ships in the user maps area.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The example drawing seems to have it's hull drawn by three different polygons (port and starboard being mirror copies of each other) and multipolied together. But you can also edit the drawing tools and change their shape to a mirrored polygon, the same shape used for the hulls in Cosmographer 3.
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    Posted By: MonsenThe example drawing seems to have it's hull drawn by three different polygons (port and starboard being mirror copies of each other) and multipolied together. But you can also edit the drawing tools and change their shape to a mirrored polygon, the same shape used for the hulls in Cosmographer 3.
    What?