Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2017

Jon, I am quite happy with it as is. Just waiting for final comments for 24 hrs before submitting it to the atlas. Map notes almost finished
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

I took a look at the symbol as opened as a DWG in CC3+... YUCK!!!

If one is creating vector symbols in Illustrator, is there a guide for that - maybe I should draw the thing a bit differently???
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: JMunsonIIIf one is creating vector symbols in Illustrator
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend it at all. The rendering engine is quite different from the FastCAD rendering engine used by CC. Generally, this means that whatever you make in Illustrator are not guaranteed to be supported in CC3+. You get the general shapes, but the "artsy" bits tends to get lost. I recommend making the symbol in CC3+ itself. If you can't make something in CC3+, then it won't work if you do it in another program and try to import it either.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2017 edited

Hmmm... I thought "DWG" meant "DWG?" (or DXF for that matter). Is there a preferred format for such in CC3?

These are pretty basic shapes, so I don't know why there'd be so much trouble...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: JMunsonIIThese are pretty basic shapes, so I don't know why there'd be so much trouble...
    Basically, because no two vector rendering engines are created equal. These engines have different properties that can be applied to their primitives, and when the target engine don't support these, the representation won't be equal. Another issue is the type of smoothing supported.

Posted By: JMunsonIIIs there a preferred format for such in CC3?
    Yes, fcw, which is the fastcad format. Everything else is imported through a converter which tries to convert the features of the format to the native format as close as possible

These problems are not too different to what you experience with other image formats. I've got a bunch of programs that support the PhotoShop image format, but in none of them does it look exactly as in ps.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Righty-ho...

I spent time cleaning this puppy up for "vector" work... The only weird thing left is the tips of the sunrays - I couldn't get them to not do that strange knockout overlap gig... If there is a way to do that without re-drawing them, I'm open to learning the method.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

That sharp corner combined with the wide line makes things a bit tricky. I can't open fcw files on my phone from which I am working now, but I am thinking it might be better to use a slightly larger black polygon below the yellow, instead of an outline. Just a thought though, cannot test now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

works fine for me, I shrank it 50%. The original is 567 x 1200 pixels

edit: I loaded it into CC3+.
      AncientStandard2ab.png
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

@JimP: when you put it on a white/light/non-black background you'll see what I mean... ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017

Here is the ultimate (I hope) map. I will finish the Map notes tomorrow, so if you would like to give some advice, suggest additions or just downright critize ;), then please do so in the next 24 hrs - after that it is going to Monsen for the atlas.
      Helmonte2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Looks very beautiful. Great work on the forests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks, Hadrian - it was Lorelei's suggestion that helped here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2017

I have now submitted the map and map notes to Monsen. Thanks everyone for your help, and especially Lorelei about the forests, and Jon for his banner.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

Quite welcome Quenten - any time. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

The map is now live in the atlas. Thanks for your contribution Quenten.