Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017

Here is the beginning of my entry for Helmonte and Aladousis, the two big islands to the south of the Irisian City States. This is my next entrant for the Atlas, and will be in the Herwin Wielink style (a first for me, so I am a little nervous). I have kept the Classic style symbols for the structures from the CC Overland style, though. I will newed help and advice.
    BTW, my next projects will be:
    1: Environs of the Monastery of Holy Spiros, and a Character Artist portrait of the Holy man himself
    2: Ground Floor of the Monastery
    3: City of Stromphe in the Irisian City States
    4: Upper floor of the monastery
    5: Crypts of the Monastery
    6: Caverns below the Monastery opening out at the Spiros Falls
    7: A lower dungeon/cavern area below No 6.
    Then I'll think about doing some buildings in Stromphe, or a village in Spiros (probably that hive of rebellion, Helinesa.
    Please feel free to reserve any areas apart from these.
      Helmonte.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

Here is my update - forests and Nav lines added, also a mash around the ruined keep in the south of Helmonte. The gaps in the forest are deliberate - they will represent lairs, isolated lumber homesteads and 'other' .
    Next up will be rivers, lakes and roads and perhaps a few islands offshore, with reefs and sandbars.
      Helmonte2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Looks very nice. There are a lot of interesting areas with a lot of potential for more close up maps.
    I especially love the navigation lines. They are very beautiful.

If you wanted some critisism, I would probably make the land a bit lighter. As it is, the map is quite dark. Looking at you other Maps of Artemisia I would expect the land to be lighter.
    It looks like you are using the HW Style, which is a good choice. Therefore I would not suggest changing the texture. What you could do, is adding an "Adjust Hue/Saturatian" Effect to your land sheet and enter a value between 10-20 in the Lightness window.
    It sometimes takes some tries to get to the wanted results. But that would allow you to brighten up the map without changing the lovely HW Texture.

Aside from that, the map is great.:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017 edited

Hadrian, I will take your advice. this is the sort of criticism/advice I love.
    PS: It works a treat - first time I have used that effect. I also have used it on the coastal waters - see next update tomorrow, when I hope the only things left will be labelling, cartouches and special places of interest (listed as a key)
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

I too have only recently found out about this effect and I absolutely love it. It gives a whole range of new possibilities.

I'm looking forward to see your next update.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017 edited

This is the next update - only farmland to finish, labelling, special sites and some cartouches to go. I note that the sea is a bit blotchy, but I actually like the effect, so am leaving it.
      Helmonte3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017

Looks very, very nice.

The brighter land texture really makes a difference. It nicely fits the color of the Hills and the Farmland.
    The farmland blends in perfectly well with the texture of the land in most parts. Only south of Stratenes one can actually see a line where the farmland ends. This could easily resolved by increasing the edge fade a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017

Yes, I intend to modify the farmland a fair bit. But thanks for pointing that out
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017

Just a few extra places of interest and a few labels, and i think I'm done. PLEASE, let's hear your criticism - the map will only benefit.
      Helmonte4.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

My main criticism is the color of your text, especially the orange across the forest and the red in the top right, those are nearly unreadable. You could consider using the Outer Glow effect to put a light outline on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Done, thanks for the tip.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Nice! The only thing that is bothering me is the color of the forest in the center of your main isle.....or maybe its the fill itself being too boxy? i don't know, but it distracts my eye from the pretty shades of the rest of the landscaping. Otherwise, good stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Hi Lorelei, the forest is meant to have lots of clearings in it - looks better in the large view. But I will think about what you have said. Here is the latest update - Monsen's advice has been heeded, and I just have the Map description to go. I have some difficulty with the labelling on the banner - any ideas anyone?
      Helmonte5.JPG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

The banner seems heavily pixellated to me, and that may be partly what's making the text look wrong. Also the banner itself looks dirty and worn, but the writing is very clean. Might need to move that text to its own sheet so you can fade it more with effects, and maybe even add a sheet above it to add some extra dirt to hide parts of an individual letter or two? Or am I just getting too complex here...
    Cool map!

I love the banner concept - wish I thought of that. Lol! :-)
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

I agree with Wyvern.

Also, the banner is at a perspective angle, whereas the text is not. To help the text a little, give it a bit of a shadow (just a small amount) - that should anchor it into the "cloth" a bit.

Overall, though, the banner being pixelated vs. the sharp text is the major problem - it causes the text to be "forward" of the banner.

You might consider doing the banner outside CC to fix it and then importing it as an image.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017 edited

Posted By: JMunsonIIYou might consider doing the banner outside CC to fix it and then importing it as an image.
    Can't do that for the atlas unfortunately. I suspect that image is from the CSUAC or Bogie collection, and we don't have redistribution rights for the symbols therein. (Would have been the same with an official ProFantasy symbool too, we can't redistribute those either). You are allowed to edit the image for personal use, but can't redistribute the edited image.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

@Monsen: I thought the Atlas maps were only to use the "commonly" available symbols, etc., to avoid that problem? Maybe I misread another comment you made relative to that...

Perhaps, then, Quenten might do his own banner. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: JMunsonIII thought the Atlas maps were only to use the "commonly" available symbols, etc., to avoid that problem?
    Exactly. But the CSUAC, Bogie, Dundjnni Archives and Vintyri Collection are on that list. But since we cannot redistribute the symbols (which also prevents us from distributing a modified version), symbols have to be used as-is, since other people can only get the collection containing unmodified symbols.

Posted By: JMunsonIIPerhaps, then, Quenten might do his own banner. ;)
    That's always an option, if he is up to the task. The symbol would have to be made completely from scratch though, again for copyright reasons. I don't know if he is able to do that, all I can say is that drawing something like that is way beyond my skills.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Making such a banner is actually trivial. If he really wants, I'll do it for him.
    There are additional methods without having to create a banner from scratch or modifying the original banner. You can create a sheet (or sheets) above it and then "fill in" the parts that need replaced with your choice of bitmaps. I liked a particular piece that I wanted to place the name of the village on, but it was black and white. I wanted it to be parchment. Adding a sheet above the symbol and filling in the area with a parchment bitmap did the trick and looked great. I did the same thing with the buildings. I wanted a sharper contrast between roof tops and added shading using the "solid fills". I also wanted "sod roofs" and used a "Grass Bitmap" to cover the roofs using the very same method. No scratch built symbols, no modifying symbols and no breaking the rules. Just has another sheet on top of the symbol and fill with your desired bitmap (plus effects). I even used the same method for the towers, walls and ladders (plus added shield symbols to represent the individual logs).

Here is the link to the village - click on the picture to get the larger version: http://charleswaynerobinson.deviantart.com/art/The-Village-of-Gifrsvida-638170655
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

@CharlesWayneRobinson: Very nice map. :)
    Thanks JMunsonII
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Actually, the banner is in the Herwin Weilink style! It seems pixelated because I have magnified it so much. I will think of something better.
    I think JMunsonII, I'll take you up on your offer, it would be so appreciated. I am in Munson's camp when it comes to creating symbols - simple is good, complex no. Also, it would have to be vector, or else I can not use it.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017

Alright, I'll work on that next week for you. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You bewdy!
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Are those vector symbols in your map? They don't seem to be...
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2017 edited

No, they come from Herwin Weilink or Mike Schley, both in the basic CC3+ installation. Vector symbols don't have a problem with portability, since they are encoded into the map, whereas PNGs aren't.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Quite nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have taken Lorelei's advice about the forest - here it is half done with the rest as per the original. Can you tell me what you think. I have also added a few small lakes and done all the cliffs. I will be adding a few more lakes, and a few very small islands. And of course, fixing the banner, courtesy of Jon.
      Helmonte1.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2017

i like it soooooooo much better :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks, I do too - I will continue in the same vein for the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I agree with Lorelei, the new forest looks much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2017 edited

Well here is my almost final update - forest complete, with cliffs and islands as well. Just a few more sites of interest. I have blurred the text on the banner. On further thought, perhaps the pixelation makes the banner look worn - what do you think? Jon is preparing a new vector based banner for me anyway - not something I feel capable of.
      Helmonte12.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

The forest changes are great!! Looking forward to finding and claiming a spot to map!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

As I will not be reserving any spots for myself. feel free to claim away (check with Monsen though, when the map is in the atlas - say another few days)
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Wow. This looks much improved from the earlier versions I'd seen. Great work!
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Looks very nice. Great job, Quenten!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017 edited

Apart from the banner from Jon, this is the last update. Enough sites of interest I think (most NOT labelled). I am now working on the Map notes for Helmonte AND the Irisian City States (the parent map to Helmonte) which I hadn't done before. Then, onto the City of Stromphe.
    I do not intend to reserve any spots on Helmonte, Artemisia or the Irisian City States (apart from Stromphe), so feel free to reserve spots.
      Helmonte13.JPG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017

Oh, that's really nice! Glad you managed to resolve the banner issues as well.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

See how this looks to you Quenten. As this is a DWG, you *should* be able to mod this to your heart's content... but I have no idea...
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

I had a moment to try this thing out - I note I have a problem inserting the DWG/DXF file, so bear with me whilst I sort that...
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

OK, I am unable to discern why the file will not "insert." Any thoughts anyone?
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

This is what the banner was intended to look like (maybe there's something wrong here that I'm not aware of):
      AncientStandard.png
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Looks great to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: JMunsonIIOK, I am unable to discern why the file will not "insert." Any thoughts anyone?
    It inserts "fine" for me, but it is huge (1000 by 3000 map units), so it may appear outside the visible map when you place it. Try Zoom Extents.
    Do note however that dwg is not a native format in campaign cartographer, and the converter doesn't support all features properly. Most of the shape is intact, but it seems like the line widths are not correct.
    Also, CC3+ does not support gradient type fills (can only be accomplished trough a bitmap fill), so the red of the banner is simply empty, as it can't be represented.

Most of the shape can be fixed up in CC3 after importing, to look like the image, but not the shaded cloth unfortunately.

This is the "downside" with vector art, different software have different standards and different capabilities. Just like there are many different image formats (And converting between them typically loses features), there a different vector formats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for this Jon, however I cannot open dwg files - any chance of converting it to something else. I like the symbol, and can fix up the sading myself, if that is a problem.
    And Monsen, how did you insert it - I tried via Symbol manager, with Insert File, Inset PNG and Insert Draw tools - no luck. Heeeelp!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2017

As I mentioned above, Insert file should work fine, but it is so huge that you likely won't see it on your cursor, you just have to place it blind and then use zoom extents.

But I find it easier to open it up as a separate drawing first. CC3 can open dwg files through file -> Open
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is the map with Jon's banner - very many thanks to you Jon, and Monsen for your instructions on how to open it in CC3+. Please let me know which you prefer, and also if I should tone down the colours somewht.
      Helmonte.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII

Thanks Monsen - I'll have another play with this and maybe I can get it mo betta...