Housing Shadows

Ive a problem with wall shadow Direction and the Shading on the house roofs (using the Draw house Tool). basically they go the opposite directions. the roof shadow is to the north west and the directional shadow to the south east.

Comments

• I have noticed this too.

Changing the shading of the houses is quite complicated. As far as I see there is no way of changing it in CC itself. You would have to change one of the layers of the house symbols with photoshop or gimp.

It is easier to change the direction of the house shade. Instead of using global sun direction, one can pick a direction that matches the shading of the roofs. If you are not sure what value to enter, you can go to Info>Bearing and then draw a line in the direction you want.

There is also a third option to get a nice shading on the roofs: Put a lighted bevel effect on the Building sheet. Enter a large value in the bevel size window and about 5-10 in the intensity window. Then make sure you use map units, instead of with of view or drawing.

I have used this technique on plain rectangles in my Vyrn City map, which is also to be founf on this forum.But I'm not quite sure how it works on actual CD house symbols.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2017
    You can use the FLIPSHADING command to switch the way shading is drawn on these houses. Do note that this flips the shading on all the existing houses in the drawing, not new ones you draw, so don't use this command halfway through your city, or you will end up with alternating roofs.
  • That's good to know.:-)
  • Thanks for your input very helpful.