CC3+ Clash with hex layers with overland style

I am having problems with adding hills to a hex grid.

I am using CC3+, with update 9. I created a new map with the overland hex style with a small hex grid. I then created a sheet and layer for a large hex grid, created the larger grid, then moved the grid into the new sheet/layer by changing its properties.

I then started adding land hexes and they filled the small hexes OK.

My problem is that when I try and add hills (with the standard Grid/Snap options set) it tries to snap to the large hexes and not the small ones. I have tried hiding the large hex layer and sheet, and that doesn't work, neither does making certain that the layer/sheet of the small grid is ticked before selecting the hills. So, as a CC3+ newbie, what am I missing?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is because the hills are regular symbols, and not hex symbols, and these behave a bit different than hexes. Hex symbols snap to fit the visible hex grid in the drawing. However, normal symbols (such as the hills) snap to the snap grid, which is an invisible (well, almost invisible, it is indicated by a series of dots if the grid option in the lower right is turned on)). Normally, the visible grid and the snap grid would line up perfectly, but since you created the large grid after the small grid, your snap grid is now set to the large grid, and this is what the symbols will follow, no matter if visual grid is hidden or not.
    You can fix this by right clicking the grid button in the lower left, and set up a snap grid to match your small hexes.
  • Thanks. I thought that there must be some way of defining what to snap to (which is why I tried hiding and fixing layers/sheets) - very useful.