Issue with Landmass Styles after FT3 export to CC3+

I created a map in Fractal Terrains 3 and exported using the Coastline Only export preset for CC3. I open the file in CC3+ and see my landmass in a light green color, and the ocean (background) is white. Ok, looks fine so far. I go to File > Drawing Properties and change the Drawtools style from "Overland CC3"' to "Overland Mike Schley." The Fillstyles for the landmass types are then all messed up. Specifically, they're all on solid color instead of bitmap. The landmass color is set to an ocean blue. I can open the FIllstyles Properties window and sure enough it's set to solid. I check the Bitmap Files tab and the first thing that jumps out is that it's still linking to the Overland CC3 files (#Bitmaps\Tiles\Overland\.PNG) instead of the Mike Schley style (@Bitmaps\Tiles\Overland\Mike Schley\.PNG). I'm not about to go through and manually remap the resource link for every bitmap. Is this an error or am I doing something wrong?

I'd either like to directly choose the overall style for the map when exporting from Fractal Terrains, or know how to fully change the style for an existing map within CC3+

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You cannot change the fill references to a new style on the click of a button unfortunately. There are several technical reasons for this, but it is also in part due to the fact that different map styles doesn't map fills and symbols on a 1:1 ratio, not all styles have fills for everything, or for the same things.

Changing the drawtools only change which tools you are presented with, but without the correct fill style references in the map, tools from a style foreign to the current template won't work properly. For those to work, you must import the fill styles from that map style first.

Generally, the best way to get FT exports into the style you want is to create a new map in the desired style and appropriate size, then use clipboard copy to copy the landmass from the FT export file to the new map, and finally, use change like draw tool on the landmass to turn it into a landmass of that style.
  • Hmm, definitely a little tedious, but thanks for the info. I got it working at least. I'll need to keep experimenting to find the best workflow for me.