CC3 crashing often

Hello everyone.

CC3 and DD3 are crashing very often. usually when i zoom in or out, or when i drag the map so i can look at a different part. previously i had an issue with it crashing when i imported a FT3 outline, someone told me it was due to too many nods. but when i start a fresh map and i make the land mass using the default land mass button it still happens. i have erased the program and re installed. i have repaired the program. i am using version 3.43. i am running windows 10. i cant go more than 2 or 3 minutes without the program crashing. this is becoming a really big problem since i paid for a lot of things that only use CC3 and not CC3+, and now they are all becoming redundant. CC3+ is not crashing so far, but i dont use it very often but i fear that i will have to make the change soon because i am at a point now that I've given up on this program in general. I desperately need to resolve this and any help would be appreciated.

my rig is high end and i have even tried installing on my laptop, and the program crashes on both my desk top and my laptop. so i believe it is something inherently wrong with the program or some setting that is activated without my knowledge,

Comments

• Have you submitted a support ticket?
  • Are you zooming in with the mouse wheel? That is what would cause my CC3 to crash and i learned soon enough to stop zooming that way :) I would however, consider moving on to CC3+ - that program is superior in comparison to the older version (of which im partial, as i LOVE all my Annuals - which are being converted for CC3+ as i even type this up, im sure)
  • No i havent because before i submit a support ticket and escalate this, i want to see if this is a common problem and if i need to turn some setting off that manually turned itself on.
  • Try using CC3+ first.
  • before i try using another program i would like to see if CC3 is repairable. i will consider your suggestion once all other options have been exhausted.

does anyone else seem to be having this problem as well? and have you managed a way around it. any suggestions that don't involve "use another program" would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
  • CC3+ is CC3 - but with many improvements and those improvements should resolve your issue.

Both are still 32-bit programs and will still have the limit of those programs in place, however, CC3+ code has been refactored to enhance performance and reduce resource usage - which is the problem you are running into.

CC3+ is the way forward anyway as CC3 will be phased out.
  • edited March 2017
    CC3 crashing when you use the mouse to zoom in is a known issue with the program. CC3+ seems to have fixed it for the most part. You will be happy to know that most of the add on's for CC3 are now compatible with CC3+.

The ones that I know of that are not are:

The Cartographer's Annual Number 1 through 5

Source Maps: Castles

Source Maps: Temples, Tombs & Catacombs

Source Maps: Cities

The WW2 Interactive Atlas

Dioramas

The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas (this one will probably never be updated as it was a one off project with Wizards of the Coast)

Everything else should have a CC3+ update to them so for the most part you should be in good shape with upgrading to CC3+

The Cartographer's Annual's are being updated fairly quickly compared to the past so I suspect it will only be about five more months before all of them are done. They have been upgrading them about once a month recently.

EDIT: Another advantage to upgrading to CC3+ is that the program is more stable. So less crashes. And another is that with CC3+ they have added Photoshop like blend modes to the program, which you cannot do with CC3.

I have never found a way around the CC3 program crashing when I zoom in using the mouse. So I always use the zoom functions with it (sadly, even then, If I have the Sheets and Effects turned on when I do so it will still crash. CC3+ does not have this problem.)
  • So is CC3 and all support for it being suspended because its not working properly for everyone? What is the official Pro-Fantasy standing on this point?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2017
    For me, CC3 is nice and stable. I know some people seem to experience it as really unstable, but I don't know why. Generally, make sure you have memory available for CC3, don't run it with effects on all the time, don't use entities with too many nodes, and use the latest update, but if that doesn't help for you, I suggest you do put in a support ticket.

As have been mentioned earlier, I too really recommend switching to CC3+ though, as it is both MUCH faster and more stable. As for add-ons for CC3/CC3+, they are being converted continuously. All the major add-ons and symbols sets (except dioramas) are already available for CC3+, all but the 5 first annuals are available (the rest are coming). The Source Maps are still missing. And everything that is available is a free upgrade if you own the CC3 version, so the reasons to run CC3 instead of CC3+ are quickly shrinking. And most new products that arrive are also CC3+ only.
    Posted By: TonnichiwaCC3 crashing when you use the mouse to zoom in is a known issue with the program.
    Only for some, I don't have any problems with that at all on any of my numerous installations. There is a know issue if you try to scroll without the CC3 window being active though.
    Posted By: poppiecockSo is CC3 and all support for it being suspended because its not working properly for everyone?
    CC3 is still being supported, but you'll need to put in a support ticket to receive official support.
  • Have you tried un- and reinstalling CC3? This actually helps solving a lot of problems that might occur.

I also have experienced a lot of crashes in CC3, especially on larger maps, when using the scroll wheel. A way to deal with it is to save a lot, but the crashes are still annoying. Which is why I use CC3+. As for the addons, they are being updated at a quite fast pace. If you want one of the first annuals in CC3+ you'll also find instructions on this forum on how to update it yourself, if you don't want to wait.

As said, I too recommend switching to CC3+, for your workflow will increase quite a bit.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2017
    Posted By: TonnichiwaThe Cartographer's Annual's are being updated fairly quickly compared to the past so I suspect it will only be about five more months before all of them are done. They have been upgrading them about once a month recently.
    I can't speak for ProFantasy but I can tell you the last few annuals released for CC3+ have been updated much more quickly than that, even if it doesn't feel like it.
    –   Volume 7 update released Feb. 27.
    –   Volume 6 update released Mar. 10.
    –   Volume 5 update will probably be available fairly soon (though, again, that's unofficial — I can't speak for ProFantasy).

That's about 1 - 2 weeks between each update recently. Just sayin'.

~Dogtag
  • Posted By: Dogtag
    Posted By: TonnichiwaThe Cartographer's Annual's are being updated fairly quickly compared to the past so I suspect it will only be about five more months before all of them are done. They have been upgrading them about once a month recently.
    I can't speak for ProFantasy but I can tell you the last few annuals released for CC3+ have been updated much more quickly than that, even if it doesn't feel like it.
    –Volume 7 update released Feb. 27.
    –Volume 6 update released Mar. 10.
    –Volume 5 update will probably be available fairly soon (though, again, that's unofficial—I can't speak for ProFantasy).

That's about 1 - 2 weeks between each update recently. Just sayin'.

~Dogtag
    Very cool!. Faster than I thought!

Thanks again for doing that Dogtag :)
  • I zoom in in CC3 using the zoom window, upper right of CC3. Hasn't crashed on me when I do that.