Exporting Fractal Terrains to GeoJSON

Evening,

I'm working with Fractal Terrains and would like to share some FT worlds with folks via the web; I'm a programmer and familiar with SVG and tools like D3 so hoping there's an easy was to output or export into something I can convert to GeoJSON - I tried exporting as KMZ and converting that but it's failing to produce anything useful. Any suggestions?

Thanks

James

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The vector output from FT3 is the fcw format used by Campaign Cartographer. FT will also output height fields in the Equirectangular projection (16-bit PNG if probably good enough), which external tools could use to generate contours. The KMZ output from FT is basically a thin wrapper around a generated whole-world image.

What do you want to do with FT's output?
  • 7 days later
  • Thanks for the suggestion regards 16-bit PNGs, I will take a look

In terms of what I'm doing, I have a FT3 world for a narrative strategy campaign I'm running in a play-by-post forum. All of the players are remote and I want to provide them with an interactive web map. I'm a web developer and reasonably familiar with SVG, D3 and similar tools so I was looking at providing layers on top of the world image for things like settlement placement, region borders and labels - where I want to allow them to switch those on and off relatively quickly, but also such that I can easily amend them without building a map processing pipeline (the contours change far more slowly than the geopolitics!). There's a collection of tooling built on GeoJSON or TopoJSON that would make that relatively easy, eg https://medium.com/@mbostock/command-line-cartography-part-1-897aa8f8ca2c

(Apologies for the delayed response, I was expecting a notification and hadn't explicitly subscribed)