fills etc arent correct colour

I only noticed this this lunchtime because I wanted to put a background 'behind' my house.

None of the fills, mountain, desert, farmland etc are anything other than grey, and Landmass is blue (see top left of illus below).

Additionally whatever I put behind the porch drowns it (see top & bottom right). The house without any background is the bottom left and the majority of the floors are meant to be Boards Light!

What's wrong?

Comments

• Looks like you are dealing with vari-color fills and transparent fills. I haven't dealt with the transparent fills much yet (other than to notice they are grey), so my guess is that's your issue. The transparent fills have "T" in the upper right corner.

I'm curious as to others' responses here - I'd like to learn a bit more about these fills myself...
  • Posted By: JMunsonIILooks like you are dealing with vari-color fills and transparent fills. I haven't dealt with the transparent fills much yet (other than to notice they are grey), so my guess is that's your issue. The transparent fills have "T" in the upper right corner.

I'm curious as to others' responses here - I'd like to learn a bit more about these fills myself...
    As far as I know I'm not, but like you, JMunsonII, my knowledge is like yours!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The reason for the grey fills is that you are using drawing tools that were not meant for your current map style/template. Drawing tools relay on fill style definition in the template, and the template only have the definitions for the fill styles that are intended for that template.
    You can insert these fills into your current template if you'd like. To do this, start a new map in the correct template for these drawing tools, and save it somewhere. Then, in your floorplan map, go to draw -> insert file, select the file you just created, and place it in your map. Then, immediately thereafter, go to edit -> undo. This will remove the map you inserted, but the fill style definitions will remain behind, allowing the drawing tools for that style to work correctly.

The reason for your porch being covered is simply sheet order. Move the sheet the porch is on to a later point in the drawing order than the terrain.
  • JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Monsen! :)

I am pretty sure I had some of these "grey fills" come up when working with my maps - and I have only been working with the Schley templates.

Any reason that might occur?
  • Posted By: Monsen
    The reason for your porch being covered is simply sheet order. Move the sheet the porch is on to a later point in the drawing order than the terrain.
    Checked that, Monsen, before I posted here. :)
    Could you post the .fcw file?
  • Not sure how helpful this will be as abt 97% of the symbols are either Bogies or CSAUC
    The ordering of your sheets are correct, but the symbols you have used for your porch is on the OUTSIDE sheet, not the porch sheet, which is why they get hidden when you try to use a terrain drawing tool.
  • Referring to my OP first:

If you look at the first set of images you'll see that there's a turquoise fractal shape. That was made with the Land tool, and the two grey shapes were made with Desert and Plains despite the fact that they are not grey! I cannot get them to be the colour they should be.

Now for the porch layer:

I had to do it like that because the fills were not working at all, and I had to hide the rope handle of the trapdoor.
    Posted By: HelenAAIf you look at the first set of images you'll see that there's a turquoise fractal shape. That was made with the Land tool, and the two grey shapes were made with Desert and Plainsdespitethe fact that they are not grey! I cannot get them to be the colour they should be.
    As I said above, the reason for the grey color is missing fill style in your map. The turquoise shape is the same. Not everything defaults to grey, they actually defaults to whatever color they are set to (which are completely ignored anyway when the bitmap fill is present, so this setting is largely ignored). As you can see, the preview in the symbol catalog matches exactly what you got in your map. To make drawing tools have their expected fills, you must either use them in the template they were designed for, or import the fill style as I explained above.
    Posted By: HelenAAI had to do it like thatbecausethe fills were not working at all, and I had to hide the rope handle of the trapdoor.
    My point is that you are not using your porch sheet at all. The entities that make up your porch are not on that sheet, so placing that sheet correctly doesn't help since your entities are on the OUTSIDE sheet. And with your current setup, your LAND sheet will cover your OUTSIDE sheet where the porch entities are.
  • I'm just leaving it as it is - it's only for my reference anyhow.