Tool/Symbol Text greyed out

Hey all,

After running this problem by Ralf, he couldn't replicate it or offer a solution. So, I'm turning to you guys:

Since installing update 10, the text labels? for symbols, sheet names, layer names, command line prompt has gone very light grey--so much so I can barely read them. This only occurs on Mike Schley overland style. HW style, all text, etc, is normal (blue I think and easily read). I've tried reinstalling update 10 and done the repair bit, but no help.

If anyone has an insight or solution, would appreciate

Cal

Comments

• Well, not knowing what you may have or have not tried...

1. Graphics driver up to date?
    2. Configured to system to anything other than standard? Like accessibility options, font sizes, other sizing things, etc.?
  • Greets

Installed a new graphics card the other day and the latest drivers for it.
    All the rest you mention is standard.

I just did a full repair on CC3+ and the problem is still there.

Cal
  • OK, my other suggestion, as it sounds like a setting or two has gotten whacked:

1. Uninstall the Mike Schley add-on.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Reinstall the Mike Schley add-on.
    4. Reinstall the Update 10 (I don't know if it addresses anything in the Schley pack, so this may be unnecessary).

See if that helps.
  • CC2/CC3/CC3+ don't use your video card nor ram over 2 gigabytes. Its a 32-bit program.
  • @JimP - But, Windows does use the video card to render the "common elements" - of which lists, text, etc., are part of. So, the vc driver could have been an issue. I don't think FCW wrote its own windowing system. ;)
  • Hey all,

Not sure how to uninstall the Mike Schley add-on? It came with my copies of CC3/CC3+.

thanks
    Cal
  • Hmmm... OK...

Where did you install CC3/+ ? How did you install it - as "you" or as "Administrator," and if "you" are not an Administrator, have you tried to use the program as an Administrator? What I'm getting at is maybe it is a permissions thing?
  • Greets

Typically, I run as admin on all my progs, but just opened CC3+ as admin. No changes. Now I'm getting wonky random node errors by using fractalise.

Man, this has been a bad update for me. I wonder, what if I uninstall the whole thing and reinstall from the site?

Cal
  • Definitely worth a try!
  • Ok, I'm going to do that when I have more time.

However, note that after repair and reinstall, now the toolbar buttons are very small. Going to view>toolbars> check for large toolbar buttons does nothing. I've put in a support ticket already, but am being told there is no solution.

Cal
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The toolbar buttons should be fixed by installing the latest update. Note that if you did a repair install, files from the original install would be put back, so a reinstall of the update is required.
  • Greets,

Removed and reinstalled from the site. I'm at 3.74 now. Just the update 10 is required eh?

thanks
    Cal

PS: no, the greyed out text on MS style is NOT fixed even on version 3.74. On the HW style, all toolbar/symbol/sheet/layer text is normal: black text on beige background. However, the small toolbar buttons have been restored. Will go ahead with update 10 again.

thanks
  • Greets

reinstalled and back up to update 10

toolbar buttons are restored but they were on 3.74

MS style: still have the issue where the text is grey so I can barely read it
    HW style functions normally

So, now I have no idea what to do. Other than never use the Mike Schley style that is.

Cal
  • What time zone are you in?
  • One more thing here - was your A/V and/or A/M active when you did the installs?

As to the other question, I could set up a FastSupport meeting and take a look at your PC if you are amenable to it - pending the answer above...
  • Greets

Yes, all active. Yet I hasten to add that these have never interfered in any of the updates so far.

Also, I am not quite sure I have all the default terrains for MS style. 'Snow' for instance, is not available while another Mapper on here seems to have used that for one of his maps in the MS style. Also, when I choose the style for terrain, it allows me to choose HW style
    but every type I choose merely shows as the default green 'land'. This is the first time I've tried the Mike Schley style so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Cal
  • Ok, here is another suggestion.

Disable your A/V & A/M and uninstall CC3/+.
    Restart the computer.
    Disable the A/V &a A/M again.
    Reinstall CC3/+.

Odd behavior like you are seeing is a result of those resources not being available to the program. This can be due to simply missing, permissions not correct, or blocked by A/V, or botched install due to A/V blocking. Hardware and viruses are another possibility but I think not likely as you are not seeing issues elsewhere.

If you are using CC3 strictly, I think Update 11 is current, whereas Update 10 is current for CC3+. Be sure to keep A/V & A/M disabled until all the installations are complete. Be sure to run the updates last.
  • If you right click on the Tools box, you will see Terrain Default, Snow 1 (and 2 and 3). Also if you click on FS, then Bitmaps, there is Ice_MS. Took me some time to find them. Also check in your Bitmaps folder in your CC3+ directory (ProgramData) and under Tiles>Overland>Mike Schley, you will find Ice_MS (which is the same as Terrain Default Snow 3). Don't ask me why there is this weird confusion between Snow and Ice!