Community Atlas - Continent H: Banjar Region

Hi,

I started with Banjar Province this afternoon. I used the 13th Age Style, because I think it suits the region quite well and I wanted to practice using the lighted bevel effect on more complex mountain/hill areas.

Here's what i got so far:

Comments

• Looks great - the "13th Age" is a nice "look!" :)
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    edited March 2017
    Thank you guys!

Here's my latest update:
  • Are you going to add a legend for the symbols? What are the black spots along the mountain range?
    edited March 2017
    Thank you, Barliman and Charles

I probably should add a legend, since the symbols are not self explaining.

The black spots are letters. It says "Banjar Mountains".
  • How do you like this version?
    Is it okay with the legend on the left side or should it rather be on the right side?
    edited March 2017
    I'm not sure... The map description was not very specific. I'm open for suggestions :)

Edit: I'd actually like the concept of unknown evil invaders.

The way I imagine them, they have specific behavioral patterns: They are aggressive, they destroy anything to the ground and slaughter anyone who is not with them. They move quickly and preferably along the coast. They build fortifications and watchtower to control the conquered lands. What they are and where they came from though, is unclear, because no one who encountered them, lived to tell what he or she saw...

There are rumors that the evil invaders are led by a witch king, but as said, one can't be certain.
    edited March 2017
    Well, in regards of the general strategy it bears some resemblance to the Norman Conquest. But I don't think the Normans killed anyone they encountered. After all they just replaced the ruling class after the Victory in Hastings in 1066. The major population of England was still anglo-saxon after William the Conqueror took the throne, so it would not have been a smart move to just kill anyone.

Also, I barely imaging William the Conqueror as a Witch King (but King Harald of the Saxons probably had a different opinion:P).

Edit: Considering the "Harrying of the North", about which I embarrassingly forgot, you are in fact 100% right, Quenten.
  • edited March 2017
    Love the map and the idea of leaving the invaders vague and mysterious. Finding out who these newcomers are and what they want would make for a cool campaign. You may want to give just enough information so as to give some guidance for those who want to further map this region though. I would suggest increasing the size of the text for the mountains. Very nice Legend. Your map is coming along great! :-)
  • edited March 2017
    HadrianVI remarked:Well, in regards of the general strategy it bears some resemblance to the Norman Conquest. But I don't think the Normans killed anyone they encountered. After all they just replaced the ruling class after the Victory in Hastings in 1066. The major population of England was still anglo-saxon after William the Conqueror took the throne, so it would not have been a smart move to just kill anyone.

Also, I barely imaging William the Conqueror as a Witch King (but King Harald of the Saxons probably had a different opinion:P).
    Then you might want to see something on the infamous Norman "Harrying of the North", the genocide waged against the indigenous populations all across the entire northern half of what is now England in the winter of 1069-1070 - Wikipedia has a useful summary here. It's thought to have been one of the primary reasons why the Domesday Book of 1085-1086 records nothing at all for anywhere in England north of Yorkshire.

I think "Witch King slaughtering anyone encountered and destroying all settlements" seems a pretty precise comparison - only the Normans did it on a grander scale, and didn't bother to only follow the coasts.
  • Posted By: HadrianVIEdit: I'd actually like the concept of unknown evil invaders.
    So do I. :)
  • Posted By: Wyvern
    HadrianVI remarked:Well, in regards of the general strategy it bears some resemblance to the Norman Conquest. But I don't think the Normans killed anyone they encountered. After all they just replaced the ruling class after the Victory in Hastings in 1066. The major population of England was still anglo-saxon after William the Conqueror took the throne, so it would not have been a smart move to just kill anyone.

Then you might want to see something on the infamous Norman "Harrying of the North", the genocide waged against the indigenous populations all across the entire northern half of what is now England in the winter of 1069-1070 - Wikipedia has a useful summaryhere. It's thought to have been one of the primary reasons why the Domesday Book of 1085-1086 records nothing at all for anywhere in England north of Yorkshire.

I think "Witch King slaughtering anyone encountered and destroying all settlements" seems a pretty precise comparison - only the Normans did it on a grander scale, and didn't bother to only follow the coasts.
    Thany you, Wyvern. You are right. I completely forgot about the Harrying of the North", which is kind of embarrassing.
    edited March 2017
    Here's a quick update.
    I did not change much, just re-scaled the size of the "Banjar Mountains" Font and added a few names. The cities to the north and east, belong to other regions therefore they remain unnamed so the mappers who do those regions can pick a name.

Also I wrote the map notes. If you think I need to add or change something in the map or the description, please let me know.
  • This looks absolutely stunning, and the storyline deeply disturbing.
    edited March 2017
    Thank you, Quenten and Charles. I'm looking forward to map the Ruma Helrevy Region on Perenur.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This map is now available in the atlas. Thanks HadrianVI for another great contribution.

In a related note, I changed the backend storage format slightly, so if anyone notices something that stopped working as it used to, give me a note.