Hope Monastery

This is just a trifle; but I did want your comments on it. The lack of roads and the rickety fence were intentional. Otherwise, have at it.

N4

Comments

• What comments are you looking for? If it serves your purpose...

I would add paths/mud/dirt between the buildings. Given the size of the place there's going to be/have been a LOT of foot traffic. I would also add wagon tracks (if there are any available) - supplies wouldn't be "sherpa'd" in... I would also add a garden. No proper abbey/monastery would be without at least one. How about a well?

I think I would add some more "map" to the bottom and put your title & scale there as, IMHO, it isn't working well where it is - kinda looks like a building/tent and seems a bit odd.

Just my two cents!!!
  • edited March 2017
    I agree with Jon's comments above ^^ Also, is your library intentionally connected to the Keep? You may want to move that building a bit as it is overlapping the Keep. Personally, i'd have more "map" space and less "key"

Best,

L
  • I also agree with Jon and Lorelei. And dormitory is spelled with an 'i', not an 'a' (5th letter). But I like the concept. Love to see some interior plans
  • Humbled...I took your advice to heart and I got everything but the garden. I didn't know how to make one. My black thumb (which kills all vegetation) may have killed that too. I did put in some shrubs and some rocks. Maybe if someone could please tell me how to make a garden, yes?

Anyway here's the new one.

N4
  • Improved! :)

I would extend your map background down to incorporate the scale, and then I would place your key in that area as well, shrinking the font, etc., as its way too big and detracts from the map.

I would also add a few sheet effects to the sheet your paths are on - Edge Fade being one, and Adjust Hue/Saturation (if that's the right one for toning things down) and see if you can desaturate that path - the color is a bit loud, it should be more a light tan (like the color of the content area of this board).

I think Shessar is correct in asking about The Library - it is just touching The Keep. It either should be more into & under the keep (to give the impression of being an extension of it, or a bit further away if it is a distinct building.

Again, just my two cents. :)
  • Oh, the garden... easy, just add a "dirt patch" somewhere, and put rows of reduced-scale shrubbery in it to look like "garden stuff."
  • Ok, I extend the fill in the backround; but when I redraw all I get is a partial box with a green line running through the middle of it. I want that box around the main map to go away, and something to get rid of the green lines. I'm sure there's an easy way to deal with it, but when I tried to erase the green line it took the entire map with it.

N4

BTW- I'm using CC3, not CC3+
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Most map templates have a white polygon on the screen sheet. It is there to cover up entities that partially extends beyond the map border (if you want a symbol right at the edge for example). If you want to extend your map beyond the original map border, you need to erase this screen (and optionally draw a new one outside your new border.
  • I really hate being an idiot; but how does one do this? I've tried erasing the entity, do I have to delete the backround sheet to do this?

N4
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You should be able to delete it just as any other entity. It might be difficult to select because it is all white though (although other entities may reveal it's location. But it is on the SCREEN sheet, easiest is to temporarily hide all other sheets, then delete everything on that sheet.
  • @ Monsen: I deleted the sheet altogether; and then the lines disappeared. Fill now looks normal. Thanks!

N4
  • I am wondering if I should submit a ticket about this. I got the map back to where I wanted it; but the numeric function went cranky on me. I could only print the number 1 or 4. Then, I got ticked and deleted the entire text sheet. Bad idea. Even though I recreated it almost immediately; now I can't get any number or alphanumeric input on the map at all. I'm convinced that I should either A. restart the project, or B. repair/reinstall the software, since I suspect I roached the software big time.

Can someone help me?

Nacon4

Ed
  • Ok, I found out this doesn't affect my maps-aside from the numeric function which refuses to function on any map.

So, I guess I'm roached on this map; and have to go back to make a new one. I'd still like my numeric function working properly.

N4
  • edited March 2017
    I'm bummed because I finally got the map to where I wanted it.

Aside from the lack of a key, what do you think?

N4
  • A thriving little community of busy bee monks - looks great.
  • As I said before - as long as it works for you. :D
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2017
    Posted By: Nacon4I am wondering if I should submit a ticket about this...
    Yes, I highly recommend you submit a ticket. If it's an actual software defect, PF should know. If it's something you might have done by accident, they may be able to help you figure it out so you can avoid the issue in the future.

Oh, and I haven't chimed in about the map yet. I really like it! Nice job. On top of all the other comments folks have made, I'll add that I think the style you chose is well-suited for the map. It looks like something I might've seen supplementing an adventure in Dungeon magazine, back in the day, though I think effects would improve it even more.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • ...Dungeon Magazine... Now there's a name I've not heard in a long time and wish it hadn't gone away... :D
  • Thank you, Dogtag and JMunsonII!

Well since I roached the first one, I'm trying again. I'm unsure as to how to proceed; I think I FUBAR'd the scale of the new one (I really liked the close, homey atmosphere of the first one) and I invite suggestions. Of course I'm going to put in the graveyard, and the garden (that's what the strip of dirt is for outside the Monastery.) But I feel that the openness and the size (while more indicative of the function of the monastery) is working against me because I don't know what to put there.

Suggestions anyone?

N4
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Hello,

I think working with effect would improve this map. For instance shadows would give us some ideas of the height of the buildings, and getting some fade-inner edge on the dirt path would prevent it from standing out too much. On another subject, it surprises me that those guys took the time to build a wall all around the place, but left out such a large hole near the entrance. I would make the entrance gap much smaller, and would add some door, or it they don't have the technology, a kind of wall in front of the gap that makes sure the enemies would have to enter one by one. In the extra place, maybe a corral for the horses of the visitors, and to hold a bunch of cows, would be nice? Last question, why is the green house oriented away from the rest of the community?
  • @Gathar,

Hello! Nice to meet you!

Yeah, I agree about effect. Can you tell me how to increase shadow around an obvious building?

I had thought about keeping two lengths of fence around to kind of close around the front; but then I remembered these are fighting priests (from all different faiths, including specialty priests) who are also spell casters. The top of the grey tower (which I think clashes with other buildings has spotters to see if anyone's coming to attack them. Since there are specialty priests with the spotters on top of the tower, I figure there would be plenty of time to assemble a fighting force to prepare for a counter-attack. Also, as a place of rest (for just anyone-except evil creatures and humans, I also figured they would be open about people coming in to rest after their travels.

Oddly enough they have a two-horse stable with horses specifically for message dispatches between them and Pertinax (a sister city to the southeast) and one horse is ready for travel any time during the day and night to ride forth!

This goes to the cow question, they get regular supplies from Pertinax on a bi-weekly basis (that's why I didn't include a market) and those convoys are protected by forces from Pertinax and the Monastery.

Another stable is certainly an option to which I will give some serious thought.

Which green building, the Temple or the Observatory?

Also, I'm going to put the key in at the bottom of the map under the scale. How does that work for you?

N4
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    When I first opened this thread the thing that hit me most of all was the lovely colour scheme. It made me think of summers and apples - being apple red and green with the cream of the flesh incorporated rather unusually into the roof of the buildings. Very pleasing and quite attractive, no matter the rest of the map (which others have covered more than amply).

I was going to say that until you added those paths and tracks...

This is only my humble opinion, and really quite a trifling matter, but I think the tracks would fit better with the rest of the map if they were paler - somewhere between what they are and the apple-flesh white of the rooftop - sort of... browning apple core - not as orange.

Please feel free to laugh and ignore :D
  • Hi Loopysue!

I would never laugh or ignore, you're the Master and I'm the humble tyro. :)

I've changed the color back to red for the Observatory and the Temple.

I'm afraid I can't change the color of the roads; but it looks better when I turn the sheet effects on. Can you tell me another way to do that?

Anyway I moved the Priest Residence/Traveler's rooms; and am planning a large stable to the south near the gate. I notice in passing that most people don't make a horse run for the horses. Since some of these priest (not the least of which is the Abbess) would when these animals are not feeling well that a run had to installed with it. Also, I put a bath house behind the Residence that I needed to put a well in. So I improvised on that one. I hope it works.

I shall upload what I have; it's not finished obviously...

But please keep the comments coming!

N4
  • This is the final map. I included a few things like a bathhouse for the priests. And a horserun for the horses in the Great Stall. I can't tell if my key should go to the side or the bottom of the map. Could I please get some ideas?

N4

(BTW- the numeric function worked just fine. It was so small that I couldn't see the numbers. But once I got close I found it.)
  • Bottom right looks like a good space. :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Personally, I had no problem with the original key, off to the side. It was clean and left more space for the map. It wouldn't hurt to dress it up a bit, though. Take a look at some of Lorelei's maps. Her stuff is masterfully done and might spark some ideas.
  • @JMunsonII & Dogtag: Thank you sirs! I will certainly look into that.

N$
  • Can some please tell me how to extend the border of the current backround sheet?! I even unfroze the backround sheet and tried to draw around it. Zip, nada. I'm not fond of making myself look like a complete idiot, but could someone please tell me how to unlock the frame and draw underneath the current backround sheet?

N4
  • Well, I've finished. I had to make the key big enough for my players to read it (we're starting our adventures here) so once again, it covers about a thrid of the map space- and I've no idea how to shrink the key small enough to fit into the lower lefthand corner-so I put in a compass rose instead. I accidentally found how to change the road color and promptly forgot how to do (hey, I'm schizophrenic!) it; as I kept trying to extend the bottom sheet to cover my key. Finally, a little voice in my head said "Ship it!" So here it is.

N4
  • And off you go! :) Good work. :)