that annoying Red Cross Of Death

by the Red Cross of Death I mean that red X on a white background which means, to me, anyhow, that the mage isn being allowed by CC3Plus.

I'm coming to the conclusion that if I've used the same images in a run of versions a map of any ilk, suddenly I'm being denied access to it. Does this happen to others, if so anyone know why or how to reverse the process?

My maps tend to go to hell if I don't ave them in different versions with each major addition - at the moment it's rooms; I've SaveAs when I have completed - more or less - each room so if the later rooms turn inside out and start showing mere crosses where the nigh before they'd been chairs/tankards/frying pans I've theoretically got an earlier version. Doesn't always work, but I can hope... :) I do Ctl-A to Export as a new name, CC3Plus doesn't seem to have any other way of saving an existing file as a different name.

Also the catalogues lose .pngs for no reason.

I'd appreciate any insights into this matter.Thanks

Comments

• Just some general suggestions here, and I don't know if you have tried these...

If a program "behaves" for quite some time then suddenly doesn't, that's a clue that something on your system has changed, or has an impending crash, and it may not necessarily have anything to do with the program.

1. Restart the program. Sometimes that cures odd behavior.
    2. Temporarily disable anti-virus/anti-malware and try the program again.
    3. Reboot the computer and try the program again.
    4. If you installed something (and can recall what) just before the program started to misbehave, if you can, uninstall that/those item(s) and try the program again.

You might also want to take the trouble to verify that the files CC3 can't find are, indeed, actually where they are expected - maybe they got moved, deleted, or changed in some way...

PF might be of more help if none of the above cure the ill.

As a last resort (after talking with PF), completely remove CC3 and then reinstall it. While I'm not sure how CC3 tracks all the add-ons, if its in the registry, that could have gotten corrupted and needs to be rebuilt, which, AFAIK, can only be done via reinstallation.
    Posted By: HelenAAI do Ctl-A to Export as a new name, CC3Plus doesn't seem to have any other way of saving an existing file as a different name.
    File->Save As should be accomplishing what you want, something doesn't sound right there...

Jon
  • If files suddenly go missing for no reason whatsoever, your hard drive *could* be failing... That doesn't always happen without a warning, but it is a possibility...
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2017
    Ctrl-A and File ->save as is the same thing. Ctrl-S in CC3/CC3+ saves maps as fcw files. To get to the graphic exports a Ctrl-A or File -> save As is required.
  • Hi Helen,

The red X is caused by a broken link to the original file. This happens when you move the file to another location on your hard drive, rename the file, or delete the file, making it impossible for CC3(+) to know where it is. The png image files (symbols and fill styles) are not part of the maps. Your maps only tell CC3 where the image files are located on your hard drive.

So, the solution to the red x is to return the image file to its original location when the map was created. I hope this makes sense and helps.
  • Posted By: JMunsonIIJust some general suggestions here, and I don't know if you have tried these...

If a program "behaves" for quite some time then suddenly doesn't, that's a clue that something on your system has changed, or has an impending crash, and it may not necessarily have anything to do with the program.

1. Restart the program. Sometimes that cures odd behavior.
    2. Temporarily disable anti-virus/anti-malware and try the program again.
    3. Reboot the computer and try the program again.
    4. If you installed something (and can recall what) just before the program started to misbehave, if you can, uninstall that/those item(s) and try the program again.

You might also want to take the trouble to verify that the files CC3 can't find are, indeed, actually where they are expected - maybe they got moved, deleted, or changed in some way...

PF might be of more help if none of the above cure the ill.

As a last resort (after talking with PF), completely remove CC3 and then reinstall it. While I'm not sure how CC3 tracks all the add-ons, if its in the registry, that could have gotten corrupted and needs to be rebuilt, which, AFAIK, can only be done via reinstallation.

Jon
    I have reinstalled CC3Plus in the last 10 days and I havent installed anything since - only the Bogies & CSAUC cataloges that have thingd I use after that and I dont mess with the .pngs at all! Learned my lesson there years back!
  • Then, as I and Shessar have pointed out, those files appear to be missing.

Have you checked the physical folders to be sure the symbols are actually there?
  • Posted By: ShessarHi Helen,

The red X is caused by a broken link to the original file. This happens when you move the file to another location on your hard drive, rename the file, or delete the file, making it impossible for CC3(+) to know where it is. The png image files (symbols and fill styles) are not part of the maps. Your maps only tell CC3 where the image files are located on your hard drive.

So, the solution to the red x is to return the image file to its original location when the map was created. I hope this makes sense and helps.
    See above, :)

I cam SEE the .png in the folder
  • edited March 2017
    See above, :)

but its not listed in the column next to the map. Not many of them show up in that as X until I go tp place the image!
  • CC3+ can't find the image it uses for the preview of that tile.

If you select the symbol and place it, does it render?
  • edited March 2017
    Helen, are you using CC3 or CC3+?

I noticed that your png files for the CSUAC are sitting in the GMSyndicate folder. This was the very first version of the CSUAC that I made (we are now on the 4th version) and is certainly not compatible with CC3+. For CC3+ updated versions I recommend using the newest version put out by the Vynteri Project. There is a link at the beginning of this thread, and a sticky at the top of the forum for the contact info to the Vynteri Project in case you have problems installing it.

Hope that helps.
  • Posted By: HelenAA
    Out of curiosity, can you open it from the folder by double-clicking on it? What you see is a Windows generated icon, which might be intact even if the image file itself is corrupted. You can also try dragging and dropping it directly onto the map, and see if that works.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2017
    Note that it is often helpful to see where CC3 is looking for the image. If it is an image in the drawing, use the list (Info -> list) on it, or of it is a symbol, go into the symbol manager, select the symbol there and hit the list button. This will tell you where CC3 is looking for that image. Make sure to check that path carefully, it doesn't help if the last folder is correct unless the rest of the path is too.

Generally, this problem happens when the folders containing the images are moved around, and list helps you identify this.
  • Posted By: JMunsonIICC3+ can't find the image it uses for the preview of that tile.

If you select the symbol and place it, does it render?
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'render' - It just doesn't give me the image, just the red X
  • Posted By: ShessarHelen, are you using CC3 or CC3+?

I noticed that your png files for the CSUAC are sitting in the GMSyndicate folder. This was the very first version of the CSUAC that I made (we are now on the 4th version) and is certainly not compatible with CC3+. For CC3+ updated versions I recommend using the newest version put out by the Vynteri Project. There is a link at the beginning ofthisthread, and a sticky at the top of the forum for the contact info to the Vynteri Project in case you have problems installing it.

Hope that helps.
    I didn't realise that there was a newer version I'm using CC3+ by the way.
    Posted By: ShessarHelen, are you using CC3 or CC3+?

I noticed that your png files for the CSUAC are sitting in the GMSyndicate folder. This was the very first version of the CSUAC that I made (we are now on the 4th version) and is certainly not compatible with CC3+. For CC3+ updated versions I recommend using the newest version put out by the Vynteri Project. There is a link at the beginning ofthisthread, and a sticky at the top of the forum for the contact info to the Vynteri Project in case you have problems installing it.

Hope that helps.
    I didn't realise that there was a newer version I'm using CC3+ by the way.
    I downloaded the version the links took me to only to be told to uninstall the version that I'd been using before installing. Fair enough. However after installing I opened my floorplan to see a mass of red Xs!!!

I'm going to have to put the Syndicate folder back - or start all over again!
  • Oh dear. I no longer use third party symbols so did not realize that he had you remove your old ones. Why would...? Anyway, I'm very sorry.

Don't delete the new ones. Just add the old ones back where they were. (Just the .fsc and .png files not any menu folders if that version used them.)

This will let you still see your old maps. However i highly recommend that you use the new set for any new maps created using CC3+ since you were showing signs of Plus not finding the pngs where it wanted them.

Please, ask any questions you have. I'll keep an eye on this thread to make sure you get straightened out.
  • Posted By: ShessarOh dear. I no longer use third party symbols so did not realize that he had you remove your old ones. Why would...? Anyway, I'm very sorry.

Don't delete the new ones. Just add the old ones back where they were. (Just the .fsc and .png files not any menu folders if that version used them.)

This will let you still see your old maps. However i highly recommend that you use the new set for any new maps created using CC3+ since you were showing signs of Plus not finding the pngs where it wanted them.

Please, ask any questions you have. I'll keep an eye on this thread to make sure you get straightened out.
    I'm using the CSUAC files and they were uninstalled with the rest f the Syndicate files. I copied them all back to their original location without altering the paths but I'm still having to put them back on the floor plan.

I'm using the CSUAC files and they were uninstalled with the rest f the Syndicate files. I copied them all back to their original locationwithoutaltering the paths but I'm still having to put them back on the floor plan.
    I've always had this problem - on XP (different laptops), Mac 10.6.x (running on Crossover) and Win10 so it's not the software or the OS, it's me!
  • edited March 2017
    Posted By: HelenAAI've always had this problem - on XP (different laptops), Mac 10.6.x (running on Crossover) and Win10 so it's not the software or the OS, it's me!
    Well, not JUST you! The transition from Win XP to Win 8 was a time of nightmares for me. ;)

However, if you do as Monsen recommended above:

-"if it is a symbol, go into the symbol manager, select the symbol there and hit the list button" (even if the symbol is showing as a red x)

You can then create the folder structure as listed and put your .pngs there.

It is a bit of trouble, but changes in operating systems, computers, as well as the transition from CC3 to CC3+ will cause these problems for all of us. This is why ProFantasy has to re-create all of the Annuals. They too are paying the price of an improved product. Software just doesn't like when you move things around and change the names of folders. :)
  • ...darn those changing paradigms...
  • Posted By: Shessar
    Posted By: HelenAAI've always had this problem - on XP (different laptops), Mac 10.6.x (running on Crossover) and Win10 so it's not the software or the OS, it's me!
    Well, not JUST you! The transition from Win XP to Win 8 was a time of nightmares for me. ;)

However, if you do as Monsen recommended above:

-"if it is a symbol, go into the symbol manager, select the symbol there and hit the list button" (even if the symbol is showing as a red x)

You can then create the folder structure as listed and put your .pngs there.

It is a bit of trouble, but changes in operating systems, computers, as well as the transition from CC3 to CC3+ will cause these problems for all of us. This is why ProFantasy has to re-create all of the Annuals. They too are paying the price of an improved product. Software just doesn't like when you move things around and change the names of folders. :)
    This a.m I've 'lost' one of the CSAUC desks I like, but fortunatly I used it yesterday!

The thing that bugs/annoys me is that if I leave CC3+ alone for a time, i.e months, everything sorts itself out.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    This might have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the problem, but I've seen red xs in the symbol catalogue when I've opened the folder containing the graphics by double clicking on it, rather than the catalogue file itself. (the folder containing the graphics is only there so that the catalogue can call them, and the catalogue file is the file with the .FSC file extension. It's not a folder icon at all).

Please ignore this point if it turns out to be a red herring!
  • Posted By: LoopysueThis might have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the problem, but I've seen red xs in the symbol catalogue when I've opened the folder containing the graphics by double clicking on it, rather than the catalogue file itself. (the folder containing the graphics is only there so that the catalogue can call them, and the catalogue file is the file with the .FSC file extension. It's not a folder icon at all).
    Please ignore this point if it turns out to be a red herring!
    Unfortunately it doesn't work for me as it happens with folders that don't have .FSCs - e.g the CSAUC collection or graphics I've sourced from elsewhere. The ruddy file is there in the folder but isn't when i click on it.

It can also happen randomly in the system-provided catalogues when I want to use an image that I've not used at all. The search goes on.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you are using pngs directly from a folder without an fsc file then you will continue to get red Xs, especially in the first slot of the palette.

That doesn't mean you can't use graphics you have carefully and painstakingly collected and sorted into your user folders, because you can make your own fsc files without too much trouble. It only takes a few minutes, and there's a Joe Sweeney video on how to do it here :)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, I've been able to reproduce this problem, but it only happens if have been opening the PNGs straight from the folder AND if you re-open CC3+ with the FCW file later. You can simply re-open the folder in the catalog window for the image to work again.