Combine Paths - Challenge!!

Greetings,

I was trying to create a cave complex using the fractal line drawing tool, and ran into a bit of a problem, when I went to combine some of the entities I created. This is shown in the attached jpg, where two fractal paths are separated at two points, indicated by the red arrows. (there are only two gaps, the other ones are just due to the jpg export and the line width).

I'd like to combine this into one entity and use it as a cavern floor. I went through the lines and eliminated many micro-tears. I believe I got them all. Here us what I have tried.

1) Draw a straight line (using "attach to nearest endpoint") across each of the two gaps ->Line to Path (on the two line segments) -> Path to Poly (select all of them). This creates long lines that separate the two entities.

2) Using combine path on the segments drawn above. This connects some paths, but deletes and changes other segments on the paths.

3) Combine paths, on just the original fractal paths. Same result as above.

4) Tried smoothing out the lines first, but this created additional micro-tears in the paths.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this apparently straightforward task? I've attached the FCW.

Comments