This Has Been Asked Before: but I need add on advice

Ok guys...how are you all? I see lots of things going on since my brief hiatus which I've missed out on, apparently (community atlas, I'm looking at you ) but I need advice on what to add on to my core CC3+, please

What I typically use, what I want and how:

1: I use CC3+ mainly the HW style which I can barely tolerate heh. Don't get me wrong, I like the artwork, but sometimes it just appears overly cartoonish for me. I like the JR and MS styles, but at times, they too seem a unnecessarily cartoonish.
1a: Want: all terrain fills in all styles. For example, I love the 'lava' terrain from HW but can't make it work in MS and so on.
1b: How do I get this to happen? Annual? Another product?

2: I don't use city designer...but there is a basic version in my CC3+. I dislike it. I want to be able to map a city but I need an isometric view of it. I've looked at Diorama I think it is but the examples showed a street view similar to an MMORPG.
2a: Want to map cities with overhead isometric view.
2b: umm, how do I do/get this?

3: I am an artist. I've been trained in traditional media as well as computer graphics (photoshop, etc). Back in the day, I used to manually draw/paint my campaign maps in Peter Fenlon style.
3a: I want this style for my CC3+ but I don't think that annual has yet been converted.
3b: Um, how do I get and use this?

Thanks so much for the advice in advance. Also, any other advice on what to buy to addon etc for my CC3+ would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Cal

Comments

• Posted By: CalibreOk guys...how are you all? I see lots of things going on since my brief hiatus which I've missed out on, apparently (community atlas, I'm looking at you ) but I need advice on what to add on to my core CC3+, please

What I typically use, what I want and how:

1: I use CC3+ mainly the HW style which I can barely tolerate heh. Don't get me wrong, I like the artwork, but sometimes it just appears overly cartoonish for me. I like the JR and MS styles, but at times, they too seem a unnecessarily cartoonish.
    1a: Want: all terrain fills in all styles. For example, I love the 'lava' terrain from HW but can't make it work in MS and so on.
    1b: How do I get this to happen? Annual? Another product?
    There are several annual styles which I suppose look more 'realistic' than 'cartoony'. It is hard to say what you should buy without understanding exactly what you want. Symbol based maps are always going to look like an artist drew them. I suppose they will never appear like google earth because that is not their intent. Your best bet is to look through the annual examples to find what you like best.
    2: I don't use city designer...but there is a basic version in my CC3+. I dislike it. I want to be able to map a city but I need an isometric view of it. I've looked at Diorama I think it is but the examples showed a street view similar to an MMORPG.
    2a: Want to map cities with overhead isometric view.
    2b: umm, how do I do/get this?
    There are no iso city styles available. The user Tonnichiwa did a couple of iso style maps using the city and town symbols from the overland styles but this is time consuming and not something that is practical on an long term basis.
    3: I am an artist. I've been trained in traditional media as well as computer graphics (photoshop, etc). Back in the day, I used to manually draw/paint my campaign maps in Peter Fenlon style.
    3a: I want this style for my CC3+ but I don't think that annual has yet been converted.
    3b: Um, how do I get and use this?

Thanks so much for the advice in advance. Also, any other advice on what to buy to addon etc for my CC3+ would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Cal
    If you want the Pete Fenlon style your best bet is to do like the rest of us. Wait for ProFantasy to release the CC3+ version or Install CC3 and use it from there. We are all impatient for the release of all of the annuals, but they are coming along. :D
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: ShessarThere are no iso city styles available.
    Not quite true. Perspective 3 lets you draw isometric houses. Draw enough of them, and you have a city. This is how the 3d-views in Source Maps: Cities are made. Lots of manual work though, you don't have all the easy city building tools from CD3.
  • Thanks, guys!

Decisions, decisions heh

Cal
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The John Speed city style from the very first Annual is also a isometric city style of sorts, though more limited in scope.