Saving Rectangular Image to scale

Here is another episode of "I forgot how to do that!"

With my 8.07" x 7" combat hex tiles I was able to save it as a rectangular PNG with the settings of 1267 x 1024 and it would save the image to scale.

I'm unable to get this to work with my smaller 4.61"x4" hex tiles (117.2mm x 101.5mm)

Is there a way to properly calculate the the dimensions for this because, SURPRISE, I forgot how I did it last time and I'm not getting anything relevant searching the forums or google.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2017
    Well, you should be able to scale the dimensions accordingly.

If 1267x1024 was correct for the 7" one, the size for 4.61" ones should be (1267 * 4.61 / 7) x (1024 * 4.61 / 7)
    (You only gave one dimension for the 7" ones, so I assumed it was the first dimension, if not, it should be 4 in there instead of 4.61)

(Note the you cannot directly equate mm to pixels, since this depends on the dpi you are printing at)
  • JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    edited March 2017
    For print output, use 300 DPI as your reference point, so 4.61" becomes 1383 pixels, 4" = 1200 pixels. That should print correctly. If I read your problem description correctly as well...

... which it appears I didn't... Follow Monsen's formula of course...
  • I edited the first post to include the full 8.07" x 7"

Thanks for the help, I'll try it out today.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2017
    Out of curiosity, doesn't the CC3/CC3+ print dialog have options to let the software do the scaling calculations when printing? Or do they not help in this case? I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I'm genuinely curious. I don't do much printing.
    He wanted to export it to an image. For printing, the print dialog scaling is the preferred option.
  • Posted By: MonsenFor printing, the print dialog scaling is the preferred option.
    In that case, if he had Acrobat, and could then print to a PDF, he'd be able to extract the properly scaled image, yes?
    Posted By: JMunsonIIIn that case, if he had Acrobat, and could then print to a PDF, he'd be able to extract the properly scaled image, yes?
    Assuming it was not compressed in the printing to PDF process. Adobe does all sorts of things with images to reduce file size, including changing the actual dpi. One needs to ensure that the pdf printing is not run through any sort of optimization process.
    Also, it would be scaled according to the dpi of the pdf printer driver, not the actual printer, so it is also important to set these to the same value.
  • If one were to output a print-quality PDF, the image should not be modified (other than perhaps scaled up to match the required DPI output)...

Printing vs. "saving as image" is always an interesting subject, and yeah, much depends upon the printer driver to properly interpret things (intentions)...
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2017
    Posted By: MonsenHe wanted to export it to an image. For printing, the print dialog scaling is the preferred option.
    Ah, gotcha. Sorry. I saw the post one or two before mine talking about printing.