Map Borders

Hello Everybody,

I've been playing around with CC3 and some of its add-ons for awhile now - for an on again/off again (two players just had a baby!) fantasy campaign. I've read though this forum quite a bit but didn't run across one topic, so I thought I'd bring it up. I'm looking for some info on how to make more interesting map borders such as repeating Celtic knots or other similar designs. Any suggestions, bitmaps, drawing tools, etc. out there?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Garth

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2009
    The 2008 annual (november) did contain an issue about map borders.

I know Grimur Fjeldsted made some map borders, but they are a pay product, and not the style you were describing, so I don't know if they are interesting for you.
  • Thanks. I've been meaning to get the 2008 Annual - this is just the incentive. I'm not fixed on Celtic knots - I'm just looking for ways of doing more interesting borders than the default option. If it means creating some of my own art, etc. that's fine - I just don't know quite how to go about it. Anyway, I'll see what the annual has to say on the topic.

Cheers,
    Garth
  • I created my own templates and used the various bitmap fills of checkers, flagstones, cobblestones, etc. to make map borders. I used a line of those bitmap fills for each side, and then saved them as templates.

Things like Dungeon\DD3 Color\Tile Green Mosaic

Dungeon\DD3 Color\Tile Blue Triscales
    Dungeon\DD3 Color\Tile Persian Glass
  • 8 months later
  • Can I Draw landscape or cityscape first and then frame (map border) the results? Can someone brief me on opening this in the new or apply to existing? Andreu
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited October 2009
    Posted By: andreu1Can I Draw landscape or cityscape first and then frame (map border) the results? Can someone brief me on opening this in the new or apply to existing? Andreu
    I think with some of those "Celtic knot" type borders based on repeating designs, your map height and width need to be a certain fixed ratio for them to work properly. For example, in the Sarah Wroot annual PDF, it says "Assuming you have installed this issue of the
    Cartographer’s Annual, you will find a variety of
    templates for the Sarah Wroot Style under
    /Templates/Overland Maps as well as an entry in
    the new map wizard. You can copy and edit the
    templates to create your own versions or use the
    wizard to create custom-sized maps. Note though
    that because of the elaborate map border, you
    cannot change the x:y ratio of the map through the
    wizard." So you should keep your map dimensions in mind when creating your map if you want to add a border later.
  • I've written a macro that draws (very simple) celtic knots.
    The file is attached as a .txt because the .mac extension is not valid on the forum.
    Here is what you need to do to use it:
    Save it under your cc3 folder.
    Rename it as celtic.mac
    Now launch CC3
    Type LOADM enter and select the celtic.mac file
    Type CELT enter and play with it. You have to enter the size and colors and click on lower left and upper right corner so it *should* adapt to any size.
    Once done, load the standard CC3 macros again with
    LOADM enter and select FCW32.mac