Very simple question regarding filling in outlines imported from FT3

Hello all and i appreciate any help on this matter ahead of time. i have a very simple request.

i import a map from FT3 to cc3. i select outline only. then i copy and paste that map to a new cc3 instance with the annual style i want. now i have a blue (medium sea) screen with some outlines for continents. how do i fill those continents with the fill of my choice? this seems like it should be a simple command but i can't seem to find anything online about this.

i have tried selecting a land mass with the contour land sheet, and pressing ctrl-t to outline the mass, but it messes up everytime. either nothing happens or some invisible lines appear somewhere and decides not to follow the shape of the continent and gets whacky.

any suggestions? i have spent 2 days and over 7 hours just trying to get to this basic point with no success. i feel like this should be a very easy thing to do seeing as its advertised on the FT3 video tutorial and thats the reason why i bought it in the first place. as you can tell i am very frustrated at this point. this program really needs to work on its UI. unless you have a degree in design it is not helpful at all. so im reaching out to the community.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Poppiecock :)

Can you upload an example file of this problem so we can work out what's happening?

You should be able to upload an FCW file the same way as an image on this forum.
  • edited March 2017
    here. what im trying to do is fill in the land mass with a shade from the jon roberts annuals collection. it should be pretty simple and there should be a fill command in CC3. microsoft paint had this function back in the early 90's, i cant imagine its hard to replicate. i believe i'm just not seeing it. correct me if i'm wrong.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    What you want is the Change like Draw Tool command.
    Posted By: poppiecockthere should be a fill command in CC3. microsoft paint had this function back in the early 90's, i cant imagine its hard to replicate.
    CC3 isn't an image editor, but a CAD program. You can't expect to find the same commands here as you would in an image editor. You don't fill spaces in CC3, you change the properties of the entities that define these areas, and set properties such as fill style.
    I suggest you read through the CC3 user manual and works through the tutorials in it, it explains these concepts.
  • edited March 2017
    i did. the problem im having is that this program was marketed as a hobbyist program and not a full fledged design program. i shouldn't be expected to know other design programs to be able to use it well. it should be simple enough to use after reading the book, and watching numerous tutorials on youtube by sweeney.
    the tutorials which i watched have nothing on this particular topic. i've watched both the cc3 tutorials and the ft3 tutorials. am i missing something? 3 videos for the ft3 tutorial and about 9 for the cc3 if my memory is correct?

the issue i have now is that it constantly crashes when i select "change like draw tool". so i assume there must be something else to it than just that. continents cant be changed without crashing, just the small islands. so is it too big? if so then how do people who use the ft3 to cc3 function get passed this? i assume there must be a simple enough work around.

I also landscape design in Dynascape and that CAD like program has a fill option (hardscape textures etc...). so i disagree with idea its one or the other. you can be a CAD like program and have an easy enough fill function like in paint. it just apparently isn't available on this one.
  • nm its been sorted out. too much detail according to another thread.
  • edited March 2017
    apparently not solved. i lowered the detail to the lowest setting. decreased the map size to just 1000 miles across so it fits into the standard pre-determined size of map (1000x800) when you open a new map, and when i fill in the landmasses using the "change like draw tool" it still crashes.

it mainly crashes when i zoom in and move around. But not always, sometimes it will go a few minutes and i'll almost finish the map, saving every few seconds (with my fingers on ctrl-s), and sometimes i wont get more than 10 seconds into doing something before it crashes.

poly"something" when exporting from FT3 has been turned off as well.

is there anything else to "turn off" or "turn down" when exporting?
  • Posted By: poppiecockI also landscape design in Dynascape
    I used that once upon a time! :) Then the market crashed in this area... :/
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You could trying to reduce the nodes in your landmasses. A high amount of nodes are sometimes the reason behind crashes. Right click the fractalize button to find the "Remove Nodes" command. Of course, removing nodes also reduces detail level.

Generally, I prefer to work in CC3+, since it handles complexity much better (I've never really had any huge problems with CC3 either, but I know some people seemed to experience lots of crashes), but the Jon Roberts style you are using aren't available for CC3+ yet.
    Do also make sure your CC3 installation is fully up to date (version 3.43)