Simple Winch

Winch, I said, not wench... ;)

A simple four-post winch for hauling stuff up from a shaft. The shaft in this image is not part of the symbol.

I didn't draw the block, tackle, bucket, etc., as it wouldn't be seen from overhead (as this view is).

Thoughts?

Jon

Comments

• Might be useful to make a separate winch symbol too - castle drawbridge type, say. And maybe an extra length of rope?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2017
    I like this. I can see many uses for this one. (Very few of them good news for my players)
  • I am re-working this a little and also creating some variations on the winch itself... :)
  • kathoruskathorus Traveler
    I envy your work. Are you making these symbols in CC3? If so, any chance you'll make a tutorial of the basic process? I've always shied away from symbol making, but these inspire.
  • I don't know that I'm the best person for making a tutorial on the basic process of making a symbol. I do not know if there is such a guide already in existence. I am not using CC3 to create the symbols.

The bottom line is, symbols are either a PNG graphic file (using 100 pixels to represent a scale foot), or a vector file (which I haven't worked with yet). Any paint, or vector, program should be able to output those. Then it is just a matter of importing your work into a map, or the map you are working on, and using them. That part is well-documented in the Help guide (though I would recommend using Update, NOT Rebuild in this case).

The main catch with making symbols is to keep a certain sense of style with them - that way your map looks homogeneous. And that is a completely artistic choice.

If you can draw, you can make symbols. :)

Perhaps if you had a more specific question, that might be a better tack?
    Thanks, I'm not much of a drawer, which is why I was wondering if you were making these in CC3.

The "Basic Process" I was wondering about would have been tools, sheets, and effects you used to make them, but that's moot since you don't make them CC3.
  • If you wanted to make icon-style symbols, you could do that with a vector program, and drawing would only slightly be required. There are several inexpensive, or free, versions out there depending upon your OS. Inkscape is a free vector program worth looking into. You might be able to make such symbols in CC3, though it is a specialized CAD program and I'm not sure it is meant for vector art manipulation (meaning it might not have all the tools required).

Otherwise, drawing would definitely be required at some point depending upon the style of symbol you wish to make. A pen & tablet come in real handy at that point - I have a Wacom Intuos Pro 4 (medium).
    Posted By: kathorusThanks, I'm not much of a drawer, which is why I was wondering if you were making these in CC3
    That's the downside of raster symbols. Maps gets much prettier, but it is way more difficult to make your own symbols. The upside is that there are a lot of artists out there that can make symbols for you, with CC3+ vectory symbols, there were not so many.
    Posted By: JMunsonIIYou might be able to make such symbols in CC3
    That's what is normally done for vector symbols. A vector symbol needs to be able to drawn using the features you have in CC3 anyway, something utilizing features not found in CC3 wouldn't work.
    Thanks, I've got all the accoutrements for trying (Gimp, Inkscape, a tablet), but I lack the requisite patience to get good. Been through a few tutorials, marvel at the great work I see, but seem to be limited to using the work of others.

So, I am very much looking forward to you wrapping these up in a catalog for me to get click-happy with :)