city of Blackhold - work in process

long ways to go yet, but I'd like to hear suggestions before I get too far

constructive criticism is welcome.

Comments

• JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    edited March 2017
    I think, so far, this looks really good.

The only critique I would/could give is that the river(s) seem to have some very sharp bends... ouch!!! :D
  • edited March 2017
    good call

i think i might have used fractalize at one time on them. it was one of the first things i put on the map a few weeks ago so i don't remember for certain

is there a smoothing command or something easy like that, or is this something i would have to smooth manually?
  • JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    edited March 2017
    You could try "defractalize" on it and see what happens...

Though, I think, you could probably re-draw it a bit more efficiently...
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2017
    You can try right-clicking the Fractalize button image and selecting Straight to Smooth from the pop-up menu, but simply redrawing them may be a better choice.
  • Is it possible to make the river different widths along its course? (perhaps using a smoothed polygon instead of a straight line, filling it with the river fill of your choice, and giving it the same Effects)
  • edited March 2017
    straight to smooth worked pretty darn well

a bit of adjustment of the buildings that were sited right on the river, but much less manual fixing that way, and looks more random than had I put my own fixes in :p
  • Looking good. But something is wrong with the main river on the bottom border.
  • yah it happened on both borders. looks like a bubble. I will fix it at some point (or crop my map a bit if its too much of a hassle :)
  • Looks great! Maybe vary the river widths a little here and there...
  • They could be giant rocks in the river. Just widen the river and it flows around them.
  • The river end problems look like a node one to me - I've had similar difficulties with river lines before. You may be able to solve them all by simply extending the river lines beyond the map's borders. As long as your mask is still large enough to hide them when finished, that shouldn't be a problem (or you can just extend the size of the mask, or add patches to it to hide them, if needed). You may need to adjust the river drawing tool first (or better, save it as an alternative option, so you also still have the standard default river version available too), so it isn't restricted to the map borders, otherwise you'll may be unable to extend the lines as I've suggested.
  • updated progress. I plan on visiting the river once I get a few more sectors filled in
  • This is looking wonderful!

I love seeing other people's cities because they take so much time to do and I never seem to have the time to complete mine before I need it for gaming. LOL
  • Looks good so far. I like the addition of the hills. I would recommend the smooth action on some of those hill corners though (unless they are "man" made and intended to be that way). Also, where the two major water branches meet, you might want to consider rounding off the downstream 'corner' - that will look a bit more believable and also indicate flow direction... ;) You could do the same for the minor stream around the fort, unless that's artificially created.
  • Love the city to date. How did you do the crop fields?
  • QUenten: crop fields, I just chose farm field and then put in 3' hedges as the crops. I used same hedges but changed the fill on the other one to dirt 2

JmunsonII: very good suggestions. I planned on doing such for the river corner. the stream around the keep is man made and is just fill, not a flowing stream. I will try the smooth on the hills, as the only thing I was unhappy with was the sharpness of the edges you pointed out :)

I also plan on doing a path up the hills. a few more buildings south of the river. might even add another small stream branch or two

I at least feel now I can start working on the details as most of the features are in
  • This is coming along quite nicely. Really enjoying seeing it develop.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2017
    This is looking really, very nice! I particularly like the, er, black hold, that presumably gave the city it's name. I may steal that idea for my own game!

One thing, I don't see any squares or marketplaces in the city. Or, at least, none that I see yet. Are you planning on putting any in? If not, might I suggest a few, particularly for a city of this size? I recommend some along outside of the wall, near the gates, and the far side of the river, by the bridge, unless the city rulers frown on such things.

Looking forward to watching as you continue building and tweaking.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • southeast side near the river there is a marketplace with tents, plus the wider road to the south is a heavy traffic area for shops

another tented market area in the bend in the northwest hill

I do plan on expanding outside the walls as well

didn't have time to work on this the last couple days, but I plan on adding some more stuff tonite. trying to learn how to use the color coding system for buildings deal
  • well I've done something wrong and I don't know what. about half my buildings have a color code and half do not

any idea why?
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    edited March 2017
    On the top left side of the CD3 windows you'll find an icon with a red, a green and a blue layer stacked on each other. Try clicking it and press remove.

If this doesn't help, then I don't know...

Cheers
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am unsure what your problem is. Are you trying to use demographic coloring, and not all buildings obey, or didn't you mean to activate demographic coloring in the first place, and only want to see your building symbols? For the latter, this can be fixed by going to the City menu -> Layers -> All BLDGNS with shading
  • yes I am trying to use demographic coloring, and some of the buildings are staying on the screen instead of being able to see the color

I want all the buildings to disappear so that I can see the coloring

if I remove the sheet "symbols" they all disappear as well as the coloring
  • Oh, I thought you wanted to get rid of the colors.

Well, when looking at the picture closely, i see that the houses that are not colored, seem to have a color underneath them. So the coloring is there.
    Have you tried deleting a house (not the underlying color) and then turn demographic coloring on and off again and see what happens?
    Also, is there any chance that the roof of the buildings is on another sheet? Some city styles use entities that have two sheets (p.a. "Walls" and "Walls Top" in the CD Bitmap A Style"). In the Bitmap A style hiding Walls hides any entity of the walls.

So what you could is either look for such a sheet and hide it or try to do is use the change properties tool on all buildings and set sheet to "symbols".
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If a house doesn't respond to demographics coloring correctly, it is something wrong with the symbol itself, probably the image reference is on the wrong layer, so it doesn't get hidden when the command tells it to. CD3-compatible house symbols are rather complex because they need to support multiple features like aligning to roads, adding frills and demographic coloring.