Import deletes symbols

Well, I'm bummed... during my symbolic expedition (still underway), the import process into my existing map in which I had already placed dozens of symbols, deleted the existing symbols off the map... so gotta place them all again...

Obviously still new to the program, so must've misinterpreted the proper way to add symbols (those symbols not previously existing in the symbol set) to an existing map. Going to RTFM one more time to be sure I had done what I shoulda...

:(

Jon

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If your import options is set to 'Rebuild All', it will delete all symbols in the drawing not part of the current import. Set it to Update instead to avoid this.

Normally, you shouldn't import new symbols straight int your map though, it is better to maintain a symbol catalog file and import the symbols into that. This way, you can use the symbols in multiple maps without re-importing them all the time, and the drawing will only contain the actual symbol references you use.
  • Thanks Monsen - the terms confused me... I tend to think of "update" as "change existing things to match the new definition" instead of "hey, I have something altogether new here..." :O And, thinking about it, I wish "rebuild all" didn't delete symbols (or had an option to not trigger a delete)... could potentially keep noobs like myself from cutting of a few toes...

As for the symbol catalog - aye, that is something I'll be doing once I have these made up as there'll be quite a few of them it seems...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The words depends on the context you see them in. To me, Update makes sense, because I see it as take the current catalog as it is, and update it with any changes (i.e. new symbols). But it addresses the symbol catalog as a whole, not individual symbols (Also note that the dialog title refers to importing bitmaps files as symbol catalog).
    Rebuild all just says that there have been major changes, so I want to build the entire catalog again from scratch, ditching symbols no longer in the import folder.

Note that Symbol Creation is more of an advanced topic in CC3+, so it does require a solid understanding of CC3+ concepts.
  • Yup, coming to grips with the differences in terms - no problem, just takes time. And, hey, who doesn't need more practice at placing symbols anyway... :D

"Update," in this context, also implies "Add new," and "Rebuild" means cleaning house and starting over...