General Questions About CC3, City, and Dungeon

I am handling (or getting ready to handle) three or four campaigns, all of which are played on Roll20. I've spent a lot of time trying to generate maps using the Roll20 built in tools, and - while they are functional - I think it might be nice to up my game a little.

The campaigns I am currently running are D&D and FFG Star Wars. I'm possibly going to be running a Traveller and Torg (multi-genre) in the near future. Also Dresden Files (urban fantasy) may be in the future.

I'm trying to decide whether it would be worthwhile to buy the trio of CC3, City, and Dungeon in one package. I know they will be helpful with the D&D stuff, so I'm not worried about that. Its the other three genres that I'm curious about. How much content is included in CC3, City, and Dungeon that will benefit space opera, modern, and sci-fi campaigns?

Obviously, Cosmographer can add a lot of value for Star Wars and (especially) Traveller. But I'm curious about how much content out of the box will be available to help in these other settings?

Any insight from users and/or developers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• You should get Cosmographer 3+, and SS3 (modern symbols)
  • Thanks for the reply, Quenten.

I didn't mean to leave the impression I have no interest whatsoever in fantasy settings. To the contrary, I would love to have a rich set of tools to create maps in that genre as well. That was why I was curious about how much support I'd find for other settings in CC3, City, and Dungeon.

Having said that, I assume that Cosmographer 3+ is a standalone product with the content from Cosmographer 3? If so, I don't immediately see how I can order it. Also, for anyone who knows, if I want to buy other Campaign Cartographer expansions in the future, would they "plug in" to Cosmographer 3+?

Thanks.
  • Hi GM_Matt

Campaign Cartographer 3+ is the main program. Campaign Cartographer 3 is the earlier version of that program. It doesn't work quite as fast and does not have access to photoshop effects like Campaign Cartographer 3+ does.

Campaign Cartographer 3+ is the main program now, and as such, all of the other programs are add ons that plug into it. So if you want to use any of the other ones, you must have Campaign Cartographer 3+ (or cc3 at least).

The City Designer has some space style buildings in it, but the base CC3 or CC3+ program has nothing specifically for futuristic style map making. Nor does Dungeon Designer 3.

So picking up CC3+, Symbol set 3, and Cosmographer 3+ would be the way to go. You might also want to check out some of the Cartographer's Annuals as they have some futuristic things in some of them as well.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2017
    For the record, the only product with a "+" in the name is Campaign Cartographer 3+ (CC3+).

The add-ons are still City Designer 3 (CC3), Cosmographer 3 (COS3), and so on. Most of them work with, both, CC3+ and the older CC3. There are separate setup files for each so I think people have gotten in the habit of referring to the CC3+ compatible versions as "+". But, at this time, with the exception of Perspectives (which only works with CC3+), there is no difference between the CC3 and CC3+ versions other than compatibility.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    ...and speed :)

CC3+ is much faster than CC3, and you can work with the effects turned on in CC3+ more easily. You can also export larger images from CC3+ more reliably.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2017
    Yes, but that's a difference between CC3 and CC3+, not the add-ons themselves.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments. They have been very helpful.

- Matt