The Maze in the Witchwood

If anyone in the kingdom of Vane knows anything about the Witchwood, is it's two greatest dangers....The Witch Elves and the Maze of Eldath. The wood, comprised of some of the oldest and largest trees in Vane, is home to the Elvians, an amazonian sub-race of elves, predominantly women living among the trees of the Witchwood. They are known as the Witch Elves by others, and are feared, most of all by men. The Elvian are a violent, matriarchal society subjugating the males among them and those they capture to positions of breeders and slave laborers. Why would anyone venture through the wood, you wonder? Ahhh....well, The Maze of Eldath. It would seem odd to have a maze dedicated to the Goddess of Singing Waters deep in the forest, far from any lakes or rivers. But, deep in the center of this maze, there is the prize of all prizes....the healing waters of Eldath. A spring at the center of the forest holds the greatest healing power in all of Vane, the power to heal any ill, any injury, disease or poison, the most wretched of curses, and most importantly of all, revive the dead, revive the LONG dead. This makes the dangers of the wood, the perils of the maze and the monsters roaming within worth it...to have the power of life...the power of a god.

Comments

• With all of the atlas maps hogging space on the first page of the forums, I almost missed this one.

I love the map, but also really love the premise behind it! I can't remember if I've ever done a maze. I may have to steal the idea. :D
  • JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    edited February 2017
    Fabulous! :D Nice coloration, well-drawn maze - very cool. :D And, of course, that description...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Love the map. The maze is really nice.

I am not completely sold on the text though, and especially the scale bar. It kind of drowns in the noisy background. Have you considered putting it on a semi-transparent background or similar to fade out the threes below?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2017
    Awesome. I love the lore. Is the Maze itself protected? I ask because one of my players has winged boots and would make quick work of getting to the center of the maze. Similarly, the party itself has a carpet of flying and enough Feather Fall spells, rings, or other paraphernalia to make a quick military-style sortie directly to the spring and circumvent the Witch Elves and maze altogether.

Not that they've ever circumvented any of my hard work and prep before or anything. Ever. (Oh, wait, they have. Constantly. The fargin' iceholes.)

I agree with Monsen. The scale and, to a lesser degree, the title text, kind of get a little lost in the business of the map. I love the variety of foliage colors in the forest, though. Where's the entrance to the Maze? Is that it, with a gate, at the 12 o'clock position?

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Posted By: DogtagNot that they've ever circumvented any of my hard work and prep before or anything. Ever. (Oh, wait, they have. Constantly. The fargin' iceholes.)
    Well, are you the DM, or, aren't you?
  • Posted By: JMunsonIIWell, are you the DM, or, aren't you?
    Exactly!

Magic that has been given without the forethought of what a pain in the hind quarters that it would be, is easily solved by liches with disintegrate spells. (snickers)
  • Posted By: Shessar...is easily solved by liches with disintegrate spells. (snickers)
    Or sudden "midair short circuits"... >:)

Sorry for the hijack Lorelei...

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

In thinking about Monsen's comment concerning the text getting lost along with the scale... The scale could use a semi-transparent rectangle underneath (the glow doesn't work too well). You could do the same with the title text, just an arc form, only I would fade the edges on that instead of keeping a sharp form. That might work a little better than the glow.

I do like your map - 'tis very pretty. :)
  • Posted By: DogtagAwesome. I love the lore. Is the Maze itself protected?
    Yes, of course it is :) The goddess Eldath and the Witch Elves wouldn't be foolish enough to let just anyone fly in and out easily :) If attempted, they are hit with some psychic damage and get bounced on their ass :)
    Posted By: DogtagI agree with Monsen. The scale and, to a lesser degree, the title text, kind of get a little lost in the business of the map. I love the variety of foliage colors in the forest, though. Where's the entrance to the Maze? Is that it, with a gate, at the 12 o'clock position?
    I was wondering about that text.....it didn't sit right with me either.....however, that really is just for ya'll. I don't title or scale my maps for my players

Thanks for all the comments and critiques!
  • I like the story, and if I was one of those witches, I would create this maze and spread false rumours about some healing power, just to lure gullible adventurers in the maze, and provide me with a continuous stream of fresh and well fit slaves (for bedding or just for labour).
  • Here's the Elvian village i'm working on....Varaelin (Protectors of the Pool in Elvish). If this works, i think i'll do a map like this for someone's Elvish region on their map on the Atlas