FT3 into CC3 help!

Hi folks,

First of all, I wish to apologise. I know there are topics on this elsewhere, but I can't find them. The only things I can find are in relation to some tutorial from Ralf which I can't find!

I bought FT3 and CC3+ alongside the Tome of Ultimate Mapmaking and I've been having a lot of trouble. I've managed to get a map on FT3 that I am pretty happy with, but I can't get that imported into CC3 in any meaningful way. If I do a full export I have information overload and the actual map itself looks awful. If I try and do the "Altitude" exports I get only a white "map." I have been trying my best to go through the Tome and work out everything for myself, but I have been unsuccessful.

I've noticed a lot of people mention Wielink, but I have no idea how to turn my exported map into anything that looks that cool. If someone could point me in the right direction to some tutorials or even point out the chapter in the Tome that details these areas, I would be most grateful!

The maps are for a D&D campaign and we start on Tuesday, so I've left this very late!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    If you are going to turn it into a CC3 map in the Wielink style, I recommend doing a coastline only export from FT (If the coastline only comes out blank, try a basic 1000 contours instead).
    Once you have the map open in CC3+, click the Zoom Extents button to see the whole map. Now, use Info -> Distance to measure the size of your map.
    Then, open a second CC3+ instance, creating a new map in the Wielink style using the sizes you just measured on the FT export.
    Go back to the map exported from FT, select Edit-> Copy, then select your coastlines, Do It, and finally indicate 0,0 as the copy origin. (Keep an eye on the command line)
    Go to your new Wielink map, and do an Edit -> Paste. Place a copy of the landmass in here, then hit escape to stop placing multiple copies.
    Finally, Right click the change properties button, select change like draw tool. The command prompt will ask for the tool to chnage into. Right click to bring up the selection box and then select the landmass tool. Then select your landmass and Do It.

Your landmass from FT3 should now be imported into a Wielink style map, ready for mapping.
  • Monsen you are my hero! Thank you. Managed to get the land mass into CC3 now. Apparently I don't have Wielink installed, but set it up in a different style. I'm just having some difficulty with the final part. I can't find the change properties button. I can see an Edit Properties button, but when I right click on that there is no draw tool.
    Change properties should be 4 buttons up from the edit properties one.
  • For me, that button is "All Map Drawing Tool."

I've also noticed that Dungeon Designer 3 hasn't installed correctly. I tried running it again and the button next to CC+ and CD3 isn't appearing. This was all working fine previously but I have reinstalled my computer. Beginning to think things haven't been put back as they should, so going to reinstall the software and I'll get back to you!

Thanks for your help! (Also, if I'm bothering you, I'd be more than happy to get sent a link to a bunch of tutorials!)
    Check the GUI screen shot near the beginning of the manual, it tells how the toolbars should look, you can check there if buttons doesn't seem right.

Also try running the latest update (again, if you've done so before), that will fix some toolbar issues.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2017
    Try downloading and installing the latest update. For CC3+ it's currently  CC3+ Update 9 and for CC3 it's Update 11.  If you have Windows Vista or later, it's highly recommended to run ProFantasy setup files — including updates — by right-clicking the setup file icon and then selecting Run as administrator from the pop-up menu. If you've already run the update before then choose the Repair option, if prompted.

Running the update for CC3+ usually fixes the missing toolbar buttons.

It's recommended to always run the latest update (for CC3 or for CC3+, as appropriate) after you install any additional add-ons. However, if you're installing several at the same time, then just run the update last.

I hope that helps,
    ~Dogtag

EDIT: Monsen beat me to it!
  • Hi guys,

Wasn't even aware of the update, just got it now, thanks for that! Everything is looking like it should now! Just reinstalled all the software and realised that I didn't actually download the update either time I have installed this. Going to give this a bash now and see how I get on, but any links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all your help!
    There are lots of tutorials out there. Since you said you had the Tome, I would recommend that you work your way through the user manual, and then the tome, they both contains plenty of tutorials.
    And then, there is a lot of tutorials linked from the Interesting topics topic.
  • edited February 2017
    Cheers guys!

Downloaded the Tome a year ago, so going to get the latest update now, just in case. The Weilink option is now installed as well since running the update, so thank you for that!

Still can't get the change properties to come up with a landmass tool though. It comes up saying "select drawing tool" and there is a section there with different land types (Land, Default, Land, Fractal Circle etc.) but when I select this nothing happens.

I'll work it out though! Really, thanks for all your help! Real friendly bunch of guys on here!

EDIT:

I'm a dumbass, didn't hit "Do It" to update the landmass, so that's it sorted now!