This is a long shot, but can Fractal Terrains work backwards?

Ok, I have a silly problem. I bought Fractal Terrains 3 a few years ago and made a great map of my world. I exported it as png files. Somehow I managed to lose the original FT3 file and now all I have are the png files. I'm quite attached to my map, it's been a while, but now and again I wish I had the old file to tweak something, or at least see the world in another projection. (Right now I'm trying to add rivers and it's terrible, so at least FT could have done that).

Is there any possible way that I can figure out what my world was and rebuild it (beside literally drawing it by hand)? Maybe the png files have the code somewhere in them?

Probably not, but thought I'd try. Thank you!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    It is possible to a certain degrees. The .png files are just regular image file, so they don't contain the world data in them, but you can import them as overlays, and then use the color to altitude conversion tool to create FT landmasses from them.

If there is a better way, I am sure Joe will chime in soon.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    What you can recover depends entirely on what you currently have. The maps that FT outputs don't have any information about the original FT definitions contained in them.

What you might be able to do is piece together the images that you have into most (or all) of a world map and then push that assembled map into FT. You'd need to paint in the mountains, but FT can sometimes do that semi-automatically. However, without knowing what you currently have, there's not a lot that I can offer in the way of help.
  • Thanks guys! I have the whole map, just as png files, so I can put them together and try to make them again as an overlay. I'll try that :)