Scale for roll20 dungeon maps

Hello,
unfortunately I'm very bad with scale and dimensions, so there is one thing I really don't understand... please try to explain as you would with a five years child :D
My main goal with Dungeon Designer 3 is to make maps for dungeon exploration and battlemaps for roll20. I give some informations for a better understanding:

1. Roll20 default grid squares are 70x70 pixels

2. Each of the squares represent a 5 feet side square, about 1,5 meters (D&D system measurement), so that is the space occupied by a medium creature

3. I always set the grid to 140x140 pixels and double map dimensions (keeping the scale, so a 140x140 square still represents a 5 feet unit) since I like to see tokens and map features bigger without using the zoom.

When I choose a dungeon map style in DD3, let's say a 1000' x 800' or a 200' x 160' and make a couple of try adding features and setting grid just to see how the exported map looks on roll20, I get very little maps, with a thick grid. Things that look big on DD3 view window appears very tiny on roll20 VTT.
I know probably I have to make some experiments, but I think is good too asking for some tips here. Providing the info on point 1, 2 and 3, how can I decide which map template is better and how can I get the right scale conversion from DD3 to Roll20?

btw, I noticed a white frame surrounds the image after I export it, how can I cut it off?

Thanks so much for any kind of help you would give to me.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    1. Set up your dungeon map in real-world size (of the dungeon itself, not the map) (for example, if you are depicting a dungeon that are 200 by 200 feet, use 200 by 200 as the map size in CC3+)
    2. Set your grid size to 5
    3. When exporting the map, count your number of grid cells horizontally and vertically, and multiply this by the size of a grid cell in Roll 20 (70 or 140, according to your post). So, the 200 by 200 foot dungeon from my example should come out as 40 by 40 grid cells (40 * 5 = 200), and 40 multiplied by 140 is 5600. This is the pixel size you should set during your export.
    4. Use rectangular section png export, and export only the area covered by your grid, and not the map border or anything else. Snap or the endpoint modifers are perfect tools to help you export the precise area needed. Also, in export options, make sure crop to aspect ratio is enabled.

Note that you may wish to export without the grid visible in CC3+, since roll20 probably has its own grid it can overlay (I don't use Roll20, but that is a normal feature to have). The reason for this is that pixel-perfect lineups of the grids are difficult, and sometimes impossible (For example, MapTool as I use doesn't put the grid on top of the map, but actually in between the pixels of the map, making it impossible to line it up 100%)
  • Ok now I've got a better result :), thanks
  • edited February 2017
    --comment removed--

Never mind didnt see the export pixel size comment in monsen's response, my comment was duplicative, and less useful...
  • 3 years later
  • efenordefenord Traveler
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>1. Set up your dungeon map in real-world size (of the dungeon itself, not the map) (for example, if you are depicting a dungeon that are 200 by 200 feet, use 200 by 200 as the map size in CC3+)
    2. Set your grid size to 5
    3. When exporting the map, count your number of grid cells horizontally and vertically, and multiply this by the size of a grid cell in Roll 20 (70 or 140, according to your post). So, the 200 by 200 foot dungeon from my example should come out as 40 by 40 grid cells (40 * 5 = 200), and 40 multiplied by 140 is 5600. This is the pixel size you should set during your export.
    4. Use rectangular section png export, and export only the area covered by your grid, and not the map border or anything else. Snap or the endpoint modifers are perfect tools to help you export the precise area needed. Also, in export options, make sure crop to aspect ratio is enabled.

Note that you may wish to export without the grid visible in CC3+, since roll20 probably has its own grid it can overlay (I don't use Roll20, but that is a normal feature to have). The reason for this is that pixel-perfect lineups of the grids are difficult, and sometimes impossible (For example, MapTool as I use doesn't put the grid on top of the map, but actually in between the pixels of the map, making it impossible to line it up 100%)</blockquote>

Thank you so much for these instructions!! I was spending a lot of neurons to figure out the measurements conversions.
  • 7 months later
  • OMG this thread has helped out so much, I have just tested my first map on roll20 and it works perfectly!