Lining up a reference drawing to DD3+ grid

Greetings!

I am having a little trouble getting my reference drawing to correctly line up with the grid.

If you examine the attached, you'll see what I mean - I can't get the reference grid scaled & lined up with the drawing grid. Not sure why this escapes me... Note the bottom right circle shows where the reference grid is closer to the drawing grid, yet the upper left circle shows where the grid is way off.

What's going on here?

Thanks!!!

Jon

Comments

• Follow on question - is there way, as there is in Photoshop, to draw a line that defines a certain distance to which my reference would then get scaled?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JMunsonIIWhat's going on here?
    Seems that your reference drawing isn't scaled correctly, the grid cells in it are smaller than the CC3+ grid.
    Posted By: JMunsonIIFollow on question - is there way, as there is in Photoshop, to draw a line that defines a certain distance to which my reference would then get scaled?
    Not directly (CC3+ can do this when you need to specify a distance, but it doesn't treat the scale value as a distance), but you could use the line too to draw this line, then use info-> length along to measure the distance of the line (or simpler, just use info -> distance to measure any arbitrary distance in the map) and then use this to determine the scale value. Also note that CC3+ accepts calculations on the prompt, so if your measured distance is 4.3 and it should be 5, you could just enter 5/4.3 directly on the command line when CC3+ asks for the scale value, instead of calculating it yourself first.
  • Thank you - let me see if I can get that accomplished properly...
  • After a few frustrating attempts to get this lined up right, I did manage to get it "close enough" to the original for a functional trace. I couldn't get it exact. I suspect I didn't allow for enough room when I originally set the map size (note to self: leave LOTS or room at the edges).
  • Generally when trying to match grids, I'll use the tool "Info->Distance" to measure the grid lines of the map I want to copy. What I need to know is what the distance is vs. what the distance should be.

Then I will use the Non-Visual Scale tool (right-click scale tool, select non-visual), which allows scaling by a static ratio instead of by mouse movement.

1. Select the entity (just the item you want to trace), Do It
    2. Scale by Factor "distance needed"/"distance is" (might have the ratio backwards)

That should get it as close as possible, it's been in my experience that some paper scans can be distorted and won't exactly match up. This works pretty well in cases where you only have a scale bar, the trick is to find a known measure on the map you're trying to copy.

Good Luck.
  • Thank you Kathorus - that is the exact method I used to get "close enough." :)
  • Ha, glad I could come in a day late on that! I've spent many frustrating hours trying to get hex grids to line up.