My first map - The Cursed Ones, First Quarters

Greetings!

Well, with a little help from ya'll, the Help manual, and the prior forum posts, I've created this not-quite masterpiece...

I started off with a map size too large. I was thinking I would map out the whole of the upper levels of the dungeon on the same sheet, but changed my mind into the project...So, the grid is off a little, meh. Not really a problem.

I do wish some things were easier, like selecting multiples of things like nodes, and Undo doesn't always work either (good thing for iterative saves!). I also wish one could deselect too... Anyway, just part of learning the tool I suppose. :) Some things were really frustrating, like trying to add a terrain and put it on a custom multiply-mode sheet... that didn't work out so well... Too used to Photoshop & Illustrator I guess... ;)

My next step, besides writing up the rooms, is to get the grid to only be in the room/halls, not on the entire map. Though it is OK as is.

Regardless of all that, let me know what you think and what I could do to improve upon this. I should learn to emulate Schley's style, so I can add further symbols.

Hires here.

Here is the first part of the write-up I've started on the module:

The Cursed Ones

Background

In an age long ago, well before any of the known ancestors, when the Ancients walked the world, there lived, and thrived, a cult of the utmost evil.

The name of this cult has been forgotten by history – no mention, no hint, nothing of it remains, except the footprint left deep underground.

Evil things were done by those who worshipped the deities of this cult – nameless things that inspired deep terror and loathing inside anyone who dared even look upon their idols. The atrocities committed unto them would make even the most battle-hardened warrior retch uncontrollably, and beg for a quick death. What was done to innocents were unimaginable by nearly anyone – except those of the cult.

After centuries of thriving, as evil of often does, inexplicably, suddenly, and violently, the cult vanished. The world was glad of their leaving, and chose to make it complete by keeping absolutely no written record of the horror once unleashed by them.

Notes

These are general notes for the module. Feel free to adjust as you wish to the level/caliber of your players.
1. Light sources illuminate out to 20 feet maximum, ending sharply at 20 feet (or less, depending upon the limit of the light source) or half the source distance. Magic lights, if they can be sent off ahead, will seem to disappear once beyond normal range.
2. Darkvision is halved, and sharply ends as well.
3. Dwarves, or others with similar abilities, cannot sense what direction they’re going, distance they’ve covered, nor elevation changes made along the way.
4. The place is deathly still, silence is quite loud here – the barest whisper echoes for quite a distance. That being said, monsters here are equally silent – and deadly as a result.
5. The players will often hear sinister whispers, evil mutterings, and whispering maniacal laughter in their heads as they walk the corridors and halls.
6. Bones lay scattered everywhere, deep blood stains can easily be found on the floors and walls – some even a little gooey, debris abounds, and most things look as if they were shattered in-place in some ancient time in the past.

Enjoy!

Jon

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JMunsonIII also wish one could deselect too
    You can. Simply hold down ctrl while clicking on the edge of a selected entity to deselect it. Also remember all the selection modifiers, which makes selections really powerful.
  • Oh ho - I, obviously, didn't know about the ctrl key during select! That will be really handy!!!
  • I learnt last night that when selecting a single node to move it you dont need to actually select the node itself. You can click the line leading up to the node and it will select the closest node. Bloody handy in some situations.
  • Posted By: daplunkI learnt last night that when selecting a single node to move it you dont need to actually select the node itself. You can click the line leading up to the node and it will select the closest node. Bloody handy in some situations.
    Yup - I discovered that pretty quickly early on! I do wish one could select a group of nodes though, that would be really handy! :)

All - I have added the beginnings of a write-up to the OP.
  • I left a few things off the map, so added them, and I modified the grid a little so it blends in with the background. It still shows on the background a little, making it useful there, but not the visual distraction it was before. I like the map. Go CC3+! :D

The small version is attached, the larger is here.

Again, any comments relative to improving this are well appreciated. :)
  • Very nice! I've yet to try a dungeon map, so this is inspirational. And I have a fondness for smaller, lair-type dungeons, rather than the mega-kind. My one temptation would be to add a stairway coming down from a castle above --into room 17, perhaps. The finished rooms are the usual castle dungeon, while the secret door between rooms 10 and 11 lead to the evil cult shrine headed by the duke who once ruled long ago.

Must be a good map: It's already got me blabbering out a story. :)
  • Posted By: BarlimanMy one temptation would be to add a stairway coming down from a castle above
    Such is a great way to get into this module. While having my current party venture through the Rise of Tiamat, there is a space left for one's own module inside a cave system which is part of an encampment. Thus the inspiration for working this whole module up. So, the entrance, 1, was originally conceived to be leading from that original fissure. However, I have also provided the following example hooks in my module write-up:
    As you venture along the cavern, you noticed that stalagmites have obscured what looks to be a narrow fissure – which may be a passage veering off the area you are in. Some quick work would allow you to venture further into the fissure to investigate.

- Or -

You heard tales of a narrow entrance to a rumored lost civilization or obscure group of people which existed in ancient times. Whispers of fantastic treasures, and, of course, the requisite hideous monsters, hiding within the place abound. With luck, you have managed to track down the only soul who claims to know its whereabouts. Gibbering madly, you manage to make out the directions to its location, though the poor man warns you to stay away – “Madness! You’ll find nothing but madness in there!”
    This particular map is one of four that will be created as part of this module. :)

Thank you for the comments everyone! :)
  • And I finished the draft of the first part of this module... 5,334 words later... whew!