Community Atlas - Continent J - Forlorn Archipelago

I haven't settled on a name for these islands just yet.

Dark blue is of course the ocean depths.

Purplish is the 'continental' shelf. Water is down to 2 miles, or 3,219km, deep.

Light blue is the shallows. Wading depth down to half a mile, or 0,805km.

I'll map more, and come up with additional names and places. Squeak Island is less than 2 miles wide and about 4 miles long. 3,014km x 7,234km

Png is 800 pixels of my original export size. Original is 1152 pixels wide.

Edit, instead of Continent, shouldn't this be islands ? Anyway, I am naming them the Forlorn Archipelago.

Comments

• An improved map. Just using color pallete with CC3Plus.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    Well, they are islands I guess, but pretty huge ones. The smallest of the 4 main ones is roughly the same size as Iceland.

Feel free to add more minor islands around the coast if you want to though, it's only natural that small islands exists that didn't show up on the world map.

Edit: Name sounds good though, this is definitely an island region.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    I added a bit more in 2 sea mounts. I can add some more small islands if needed.

I kept to just the standard pallete.

Which bitmap fills are in just CC3Plus ? I would like to 'fix up' the islands a bit.

This map is 800 x 833 pixels, the original is 1152 x 1200.

Not sure what additional detail I can add at this level. I hesitate to add towns, villages, and rivers.

A large frozen lake could be placed on The Bleakness and Kraken Island.

Oops. Almost left out a bit of story I came up with.

Basher and Fisher cities are rivals. Fisher has a slightly larger fishing fleet. They take over the fishing grounds and Basher's fleet has to go over by the, unknown to the islanders, deep hole to fish. Sometimes something comes out of those dark depths and eats nets and the occasional fishing boat with crew.
  • Kraken Island is so named due to reports of survivors who claim a large 'devil fish' wanders the island looking for prey.

The Princedom of Hunters are the good guys and hunt for trolls, giants, orcs, etc. The Princedom holds a bit over half of the island and the evil beings hold the rest.

For some future details... there could be sea caves and old volcano tubes that connect the 3 islands to the lower right.
    Posted By: JimPWhich bitmap fills are in just CC3Plus ? I would like to 'fix up' the islands a bit.
    I don't have CC3+ installed on my cell phone, so I can't look that up right now, but it contains two bitmap style, Mike Schley overland and CC3 standard overland. If you make a new map in those styles, you should quickly see what bitmap fills each of them offer, all those come with CC3+.
  • I opened an overland map in CC3Plus, and found the bitmap fills I want.

Here is the updated map.
    Coming along nicely.

Since you are using bitmap fills for the islands, have you considered doing the same for the sea? Even if you don't find the number of different shades you require, you can always darken a section by overlaying with a polygon using the Solid 30 fill, basically giving unlimited possibilities.
  • I have been thinking about that... I'll get that done today.
    edited February 2017
    Here is the ocean bits using bitmap fills. I have added 'The Sand'. This is a sandy ship trap just a few feet down. Not a coral reef to tear out a ship bottom, but to engulf it under certain ocean conditions. And if a character can breathe sandy water, there might be treasure down there.

This link to Sable Island with some photos will illustrate how i came up with this idea.

Map misspelled word corrected. Thanks Wyvern !
  • If we're having a Squeak Island, shouldn't there also be a Bubble Island (or a Bubble "Something")? If confused by such reasoning, see Wikipedia here ;)

Also, "ice flows" should probably be "ice floes" as it seems an area of drift ice, whereas "flows" relates more to glaciers.
  • Oh, I have been more tired than usual... I meant floes.

Squeak Island has lots of giant rats on it. Along with some large bats.

No, I've never heard of that dish.
  • What other details should I come up with ?

I had thought of undersea tunnels connecting some of the islands in the lower right of this map, but not connecting to the one in the upper left.

What details is the group going to decide on for this map ?

Or, do we even need more details on this large scale map ?
    Posted By: JimPWhat details is the group going to decide on for this map ?
    Everything is up to you.
    Posted By: JimPI had thought of undersea tunnels connecting some of the islands in the lower right of this map
    That would be some mighty long tunnels indeed, consider the scale of this map.
    Posted By: JimPOr, do we even need more details on this large scale map ?
    I'll leave that up to you, but you don't necessarily need any more.
    edited February 2017
    From Dwarf Hold to the main island is as short as 14 miles.

Squeak is 11 to 14 miles.

Kraken to Justice island is 141 miles... but there could be evil towns down there. The Underdark connects lots of things.

But from Justice to The Bleakness is only 40 miles.

I'll think on it. There could be tunnels that go part way on level below the seabed. And ones that connect all of them miles down. These islands are on a continental shelf which could help with connections. I have thought about Mermen cities... but I've never used them so I'm unsure where to place them.

I was thinking of dividing up Fisher and Justice Islands... into two more areas. The known ruins is enough of a guide though for detail mappers. Also thinking about adding in climate info. The Bleakness is rather close to any arctic type areas while Fisher is closer to the temperate areas.
    edited February 2017
    Loading up a spare map with square grid of 50 mile squares. Maybe the fishing grounds need to be shrunk to make the rivalry scenario more usable. Of course, if the winds and waves are strong... that may not be necessary.
    Looking good. I can imagine lots of interesting adventures take place here. MAybe a little treasure hunt in Ship Wreck Bay. Assaulting the troll king at the glacier while freezing their asses off. Negotiating a truce between the rivalling fishing villages, while at the same time figure out the true secret behind the villain who has been playing them against each other for everything it is worth. This place should provide lots of inspirations for users of the atlas.
  • Very cool JimP! And as always, I LOVE the names you've chosen. :)
  • I also love the names, and the feel of the world you have created
  • What style are you using for this map?
  • Thanks !

Overland CC3 for the style in CC3+
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Nice. You may want to consider moving the scale to start at one of the vertical gridlines, though, so it's easier for viewers to see the scale of the grid squares.

I agree with Quenten, you didn't waste any time putting together a living map!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • A folk tale, or maybe a myth. Kraken Isle has a land monster that slithers around on tentacles and asks beings that can talk, 'Are you food ?'. Then decides what to do based on their answer.

I see Fisher and Basher as more cities, but they could be fishing villages.

The Bleakness is a blasted land, unknown if my magic or weather/volcanoes. Once a thriving small nation along the lee shore, it was destroyed before the trolls arrived.

Growler Bay gets its name from the pack ice that crashes against the shore, trying to remove the impediment so it can get to the cozy home, villages, and towns inland, and smother them in Ice.

Churning Mountains... I haven't quite decided on what is going on there.

Fisher Island: humans, elves, halflings, and gnomes.

The Bleakness: other than the trolls, nothing is known.

Justice Island: humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, gnomes, orcs along the icey south shore.
    Posted By: JimPI see Fisher and Basher as more cities, but they could be fishing villages.
    I would say, at this scale, they are probably decent sized cities to even show up on the map. This explains their rivalry better though, a city has MANY mouths to feed and many fishing vessels out there.
    edited February 2017
    Posted By: DogtagNice. You may want to consider moving the scale to start at one of the vertical gridlines, though, so it's easier for viewers to see the scale of the grid squares.

I agree with Quenten, you didn't waste any time putting together a living map!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    I wasn't sure I'll be leaving the grid on there, but its a good idea after all. It is in several parts, and so I'll have to zoom in and tweak it...
    Posted By: JimPI wasn't sure I'll be leaving the grid on there, but its a good idea after all.
    I was thinking the maps look better without a grid on by default, but I was thinking of making a small "control panel" on each map with "show/hide grid" and "show/hide hyperlinks" links on it so the users of the map can easily toggle these options.
  • Sounds good to me. I don't mind grids for my personal site, but I know other folks don't care for grids.

Have to do things around the house, so I'll be back around tomorrow.
  • Interesting way of mapping this out Jim. It reminds me of some of the maps I might have seen on some old D&D modules, particularly the War Rafts of Kron. I know it doesn't look exactly like that but that is the module it brought to my mind. Great job :)
  • I'll have to get the grid dealt with on Wednesday...