New User: Connecting Caves and Rooms without walls

I just started getting CC3+ working a week ago, run through the Mike Schley Tutorial quick and watched a really informative video on youtube. Great so far.

Now if I create two rooms, is it possible to join them together so that they are not separated by a wall. For example. I wouldn't want a large cave complex with lots of doors, but then I couldn't draw a detailed cave complex right off the bat with one line. I need a way to make lots of caves and corridors and join them together without having to use doors.

Suggestions and Ideas really appreciated guys!

Alex

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can use corridors between rooms using the corridor tool, that will break open the walls.
    You can also manually remove a piece of a wall using the Break command (left toolbars, near the bottom)

Another option is to use construction lines, draw outlines of what you want and don't worry about overlap/extra walls/etc, and then when you are happy with the layout, use the cave tool to draw the actual final cave in one go.

Note that for things drawn using drawing tools, like caves, you can also use the edit feature of these tools to add to/subtract from the shape. This is usually a better option than drawing two individual caves and trying to join them together.
  • Hi thanks for the reply. It helps to have someone who knows what they are doing.

I tried what you said to do. Thinking great. That sounds easy and straightforward.

But ended up with nothing working after following what you said. I am pretty computer literate, can follow most simple instructions and enjoy lots of graphics. But CAD is new to me.

I've added a jpg Attachment to show you the map I created ! I had no problems following the Mike Schley Tutorial Map Guide. But obviously I am doing this wrong.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    When using the corridor tool, make sure to watch the command line and use the options provided there. To connect a corridor to a room, while using the corridoor tool, hit C to connect it to a wall and create a break.

Some of your floors seems to be missing a corner node. Did you use Delete Node on them?

Note that the floor and walls are placed in the exact same location, so if you want to manipulate the walls, it often helps hiding the FLOOR sheet temporary, allowing you work on the walls without risking selecting the wrong entity.

Also note, if you haven't done so already, I also recommend that you work through the CC3+ manual itself. Even if you aren't interested in overland maps, it teaches you a lot of the concepts needed when working with CC3+.